What Octane Gas in the VTX? By Tapper - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Octane Gas in the VTX? By Tapper

Quote Originally Posted by vtxguy1800n View Post
    Funny thing is I was always told to use the higher octane because there is no ethanol in it? But from reading here I have been wasting my hard earned money putting the expensive stuff in the VTX.

Thanks guys
    Yep...safe trails.

Bull

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Before I even bought it I saw here to use 87 (lowest in the area). I cringed when I picked it up and he said he put 91 in it.

well i can now officially say that running 87 vs 91 i have picked up about 6.5-7mpg. And the bike feels way better on hard accel.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Yes, and do NOT worry about e15. Our e15 fuel is a long time, read decades, away from being the ONLY fuel available. These newbie e10 users are like Chicken LIttle running around claiming e15 will be here next week and that's all we will be able to buy. No, it won't. It took e10 30 years to get to them, we have had e10 here since the early 1980's. e15 still isn't readily seen here, so it will be a while

PS...we haven't had the choice of straight gasoline or e10 here in 20 years. e10 only in all stations in all grades and our engines run just fine
    Great, thanks for responding. I have read that some gas that was tested as high as 37% ethanol which was supposed to have up to 10%.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemonster View Post
    Great, thanks for responding. I have read that some gas that was tested as high as 37% ethanol which was supposed to have up to 10%.
    Your car or any vehicle that was not a Flex Fuel would not run right if it had more that e15 which with your number would be e 37 or 37% ethanol. Timing needs to be different and the ECU has to change to recognise that ethanol level.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Awesome post i never thought of that i have always ran premium in my bikes until now.My only problem is my small engine teacher would flip over u calling it a motor, it is an engine it doesn't plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Your car or any vehicle that was not a Flex Fuel would not run right if it had more that e15 which with your number would be e 37 or 37% ethanol. Timing needs to be different and the ECU has to change to recognise that ethanol level.
    Generally I've seen these test numbers because of damage done to the engine and then test what is in the tank so yes it does happen but I think it is rare.
    '06 Blk VTX 1300R

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.