29 30.53%
  • HD Street Glide

23 24.21%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M109 vs VTX 1800 for 09

FLOOD LANDS OF THE SOUTH New Orleans, Louisiana

Default M109 vs VTX 1800 for 09

I will be buying another bike this up coming year in January or Febuary.
    I am really leaning twards the M109 because of the power and great things I have heard and read obout the Big Suzuki.
    Now I also thought about buying a 08 VTX and doing another VTX 1800 Big tired bike like I had before. (www.bareasschoppers.com) Left column Red Sled ( but totally different though) I love the reliability of the X but realize it is done for 09 in the 1800 series.
    Give me your in put. I would like to have some other opinions of which way I should go and why. ( curious to others opinions)

TASSY5

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

well.......since the 1800 is DOA i'd go with the M109.

I really like the X, but since it's going away my next choice is the Street Glide. I would however buy an older used one with an 88ci. I think therre are too many issues with the 96ci that HD doesn't want to admit but keep trying to fix quietly (like exhaust heat, cylinder cut out on idle.....) JMO
    Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker

I would have to say Street Glide..

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
    Keep it Up Strait

I voted for the Street Glide....Dont get me wrong I love my X and plan on keeping it for quite some time but if I was to get another bike I would get something different and I don't like the looks of the M109
    2003 1800R, (Black) With lots of stuff added

having just got my 1800X in 8/15/08 i still dig it! and with 7500 mi and good service there are many more miles to go

the streetglide is sweet but pricey and out of my league for now

m109 is nics but not my style

my bike is paid for,cared for and needs nothing,but you know how that goes ( i don't live beyond my means,own everything i have but a portion of my home, been in the debt dept. before and it sucks!)

i guess one day i will get tired of it and move on once i get it the way i want it

if i had to have a new bike it would be the streetglide......

ride hard and live free!

I absolutely loved your Redsled VTX! If I had the money I would duplicate it in a heartbeat. Also seeing your old bike and hopefully understanding your style, I would say you like the power and the 240 tire look. Given that, I would have to say you would probably be happier on the M109.

Good luck w/ your choice whatever it may be.
    03 VTX 1800 C (Hot Blurple)

PCIII, Roadhouse Shorty, Cobra Tach, Memphis Shades, Highend seat, 6" Aeromach risers, Flanders 18 deg. bars, Paladin removable backrest, Kury Hypercharger, 1300 final drive, MTC Clutch, F-model radiator cowl and VTX F-wheels.

Based on those 3, I'd definately say the 109....something different this time around,--easy, inexpensive 280 rear, (fills stock fender nicely) and since ya like to build maybe do something a little different like change the headlight cowl to custom single headlight and get a rad shroud/lower cowl that is seperated from the tank.

I definately would take a look at the Raider. My brother has one. Based on my short ride on it, I was impressed and it has alot of potential for more.

I don't know your riding habits and I guess your set on a V-twin but, that Kaw Concours or FJR is definately worth considering. I know...(apples to oranges) but still!!!
    Eric
    I'm smart enough to know.....that I don't know!

No Yamaha Raider? If the street glide and the 109 were the same price i would go for the HD, but being a cheap A$$ I voted for the 109
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

I voted C or F.

I have a C model but think the F is about the best looking cruiser besides the semi customs. The M109 is a really nice bike and if you want just the most hp then....

The Raider might have been an interesting option in the poll too.
    Out of the mouths of babes come profound truths that many adults can not understand

My vote was for none of the above
    Remember, it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark!
    My Shipping Container Transformation
    http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.com/

I like the 109 and the Street Glide, but they are 2 different bikes, so it all depends on what you are looking for in your next bike..

Not to bash but I still have a problem trusting the reliability of HD and I ride solo alot including cross country
    "The Rebuild" contrinues !!!

I think you know how I voted, bro. Just do it!

Bob
    Braselton, Ga
    2002 VTX 1800S tons-o-chrome,Thunder Monsters and pair valve removed/de-smogged

I voted Street Glide. The vtx is done. The M109 is great but so similar to the vtx. Id go Harley just for something different. And I do like the aftermarket options for HD,
    2004 vtx1800c.

Quote Originally Posted by TASSY5 View Post
    I will be buying another bike this up coming year in January or Febuary.
    I am really leaning twards the M109 because of the power and great things I have heard and read obout the Big Suzuki.
    Now I also thought about buying a 08 VTX and doing another VTX 1800 Big tired bike like I had before. (www.bareasschoppers.com) Left column Red Sled ( but totally different though) I love the reliability of the X but realize it is done for 09 in the 1800 series.
    Give me your in put. I would like to have some other opinions of which way I should go and why. ( curious to others opinions)

TASSY5
    You can get a 280 on a stock 109 with a 10" rim. If you buy a steel swingarm you can fit a 300 on it with a little work. There's a lot you can do with the 109 and if you like power with air/pipes/and cams you can get over 140hp to the rear wheel.

No 109R too much plastic, tranny problems, sounds like crap

My choice Raider or Victory no Harley can't afford all the clothes, tattoos,belt buckles...on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated X View Post
    No 109R too much plastic, tranny problems, sounds like crap

My choice Raider or Victory no Harley can't afford all the clothes, tattoos,belt buckles...on and on and on.
    The 109 is more of a sport cruiser thus the plastic, the same as any sportbike.

There have been some tranny problems with a few but the bike I posted above runs the track all the time during the season with well over 200hp to the ground with nitrous and he has yet to have a tranny issue. He has been through a few clutches.

As far as sound goes I think it sounds better than my VTX did but that's just me.
    http://media.putfile.com/M109R-40hp-nitrous
    http://media.putfile.com/69-on-the-109

Would be an easy choice for me......Star Raider.
    2003 1800C with 1800 final! - 250/240 rear, Jug Huggers, painted engine/polished fins, big bars, tank raised, lotsa stuff SOLD Now 2013 Victory Cross Country in Suede Nuclear Sunset

No M109 for me. The power is great, otherwise it seems REALLY cheaply made compared to the X. Have owned 2 harleys, I would get another once they get that water cooled engine on the market.
    05 1800S, Hondaline winshield, Kury grips, Kury throttle boss, Hondaline bags, 'C' risers, Vtxexhaust pipes, Desmog, K&N, Kury floorboards, Kury brake pedal, lots of chrome, BadX memeory foam mod, Cobra Fatties, Firehouse Customs backrest,Techlusion TFI, Kury bullets, Spyker air filter cover.

Don't Thread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The 109 is more of a sport cruiser thus the plastic, the same as any sportbike.

There have been some tranny problems with a few but the bike I posted above runs the track all the time during the season with well over 200hp to the ground with nitrous and he has yet to have a tranny issue. He has been through a few clutches.

As far as sound goes I think it sounds better than my VTX did but that's just me.
    http://media.putfile.com/M109R-40hp-nitrous
    http://media.putfile.com/69-on-the-109
    I will admit that is a good looking bike and 200hp is unreal. I know there fast stock. However I personally at my age don't need something to rip my arms from there socket so I guess Im looking at it from my angle.
    Ed

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

It all depends on what you want out of the bike this time. You have 2 cruisers, and one touring bike. These are very different animals. If you want a real comfy bike for long distant touring, you go with the bike that has the touring in mind when it was made, the Street Glide. It has a few touring amenaties, but no cruise control, but that can be added. You want a cruiser that you will occasionally take you on trips, I'd go with either the VTX or the m109. One thing you can do with the HD is test ride it, so go swing a leg over it and have a go.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

I voted for the 1800C/F but if I could have multiple rides a souped up 109 or a V max would be my choice
    BATTOO
    Mid South board #3

If you can hold off for another year, there's talk that Kawasaki is going to give their new 1700 platform a Mean Streak treatment. That'll be a single-pin-crank 1700, 6-speed, & belt drive. Given what they've done with the Meanie in the past, I expect it should be a nice package.
    ed

2012 marble red haze Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS

hmmm it depends on what you really want... but I would go for another VTX 1800.. u can get Brand new dirt cheap @ dealer... if u hold on to it for about 5 years.. u might sell it pretty good value same as valkrie since it's not making it anymore.... just my opinion...
    I Bought Toilet brush the other day, But I switched back to Toilet Paper real quick...

03 'C' Black 110 CI .

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I WANNA!.... That is SWEET!!!!
    I Bought Toilet brush the other day, But I switched back to Toilet Paper real quick...

03 'C' Black 110 CI .

The Jester

I like to change up so I would go with 109. One guy hear said it sounded like crap but, I rode with a couple over the summer and, I liked the sound. So to each his own. I also don't like buying something that was stopped being made. I love the 1800 but, looks like it's days are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    I WANNA!.... That is SWEET!!!!
    looked at M109 before bying my X. Great power and nice ride.

2002 1800R
    2006 1300C
    gone and missed!

FLOOD LANDS OF THE SOUTH New Orleans, Louisiana

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    It all depends on what you want out of the bike this time. You have 2 cruisers, and one touring bike. These are very different animals. If you want a real comfy bike for long distant touring, you go with the bike that has the touring in mind when it was made, the Street Glide. It has a few touring amenaties, but no cruise control, but that can be added. You want a cruiser that you will occasionally take you on trips, I'd go with either the VTX or the m109. One thing you can do with the HD is test ride it, so go swing a leg over it and have a go.
    I Was given a HD Street Glide 2 day rental Gift certificate from HD of Baton Rouge La. that is why I threw it into the poll.
    I will rent it and let yall know my feelings of the bike.
    Have Really been leaning to the M109 for the reason is that it isn't a dead Product. If the X was still going to be made I probably would have considered another one ( because of the reliability for sure) but I hate to buy something that will be off the market.
    I do see the M109 has quite a few issues with problems. ( transmission case cracking problems . shifter problems, and clutch issues) but all bikes will have some issues and can be fixed. I just don't know yet which way I am going.
    Thanks for the replys.

I do see the M109 has quite a few issues with problems. ( transmission case cracking problems . shifter problems, and clutch issues) but all bikes will have some issues and can be fixed. I just don't know yet which way I am going.
    Thanks for the replys.[/quote]
    The problems with the M109 are design flaws (or so I am told by a Suzuki mechanic). Triumph had rear ends going out like crazy with the Rocket III. Instead of fixing the problem, I understand they put smaller width rubber on the back instead of beefing up the rear drive like they should have. That would have incurred a lot of expense.
    Suzuki, I suspect, will take the same approach by fixing their problems on a case by case basis. It's too bad the bean counters override the engineering dept. Heck that's true with 99% of the companies out there.
    It's a shame, the M109 had a lot of potential.
    05 1800S, Hondaline winshield, Kury grips, Kury throttle boss, Hondaline bags, 'C' risers, Vtxexhaust pipes, Desmog, K&N, Kury floorboards, Kury brake pedal, lots of chrome, BadX memeory foam mod, Cobra Fatties, Firehouse Customs backrest,Techlusion TFI, Kury bullets, Spyker air filter cover.

Don't Thread On Me

The C109r and rt would be my choices, rather than the M.
    X enthusiast

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.