How to remove stock grips
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to remove stock grips

Default How to remove stock grips

It would be nice if you could save the stockers as sometimes guys need them, and the end caps can be used for the key mod. good luck
    Courtesy of the Madco camlock site.

1. Unscrewing the chrome/plastic end cap by turning counter-clockwise (looking
    at the end of handle bar).
    2. With an ice-pick, 16d nail, Phillips head screw driver or similar probe, insert
    between rubber & white plastic to separate.
    3. With the probe still in place, squirt some WD40 into the opening through the
    small red tube.
    4. Repeat #2 & #3 at additional locations around the grip.
    5. Wiggle the probe at the various locations until they join and the probe can be
    rotated all the way around the glue joint.
    6. Slide the rubber grip & chrome/plastic trim ring off the white plastic tube.

Alternative Removal Method: If compressed air is available substitute #3 & #4
    above to read (3) With probe in place blow air into opening at glue joint. (4) Move
    probe as necessary & repeat above at new locations

The cap on the clutch side pops off, then repeat the above steps
    Last edited by TennX; 03-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

So far I've removed all stock grips with compressed air......about 5 seconds
    M STAR KMA

Default Kuryakyn ISO Grips Install Advice

I think my pictures and advice (also from others on this forum) will help with removing the stock grips.

Glen

Kuryakyn ISO Grips Install Advice

http://www.grmorris.com/pictures/vtx...tall/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bikepilot View Post
    Installed my ISO grips last night - thank you for great instructions with pictures.
    I am glad you liked the pictures. I decided to take pictures of my install because I learned a lot from the riders on this forum before I did my own install. I also added a few tips that I learned the hard way. Like trying to buff off glue from the chrome.

I really like the reverse install of the Throttle Boss because it doesn't get in your way when you are really "Turning and Burning".

If you guys and gals have other tips, please send them my way and I will add your hard learned lessons and tips to my website. I also think it would be helpful if someone would try Windex on removing one grip and WD-40 on the other. I don't remember a problem removing the WD-40 so let me know what you think.

You will LOVE the grips and they still hold up well after many years of riding.

Glen

http://www.grmorris.com/pictures/vtx...tall/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Roll On Throttle View Post
    Excellent info and pics thanks. Four questions for you.
    What tool do you use to get the air inside the grip when you are using an air compressor?
    How do you position the grip ahead of time? Isn't it hard to get it on there in the first place or do you slip the larger grip on the smaller side first to get the positioning? Is there a review of grips somewhere? It looks like most people have the Kuryakyn ISO grips but I was looking at a set from Avon that looked pretty cool.

Pull the end caps off. Jam the rubber tip of the blow gun just under the grip....between the grip and the bar. Quickly blow the air and pull.
    Last edited by mark_1bx; 12-10-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    M STAR KMA

rvercoe218

Here is a great video.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJwx92IAAQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJwx92IAAQ [/ame]

key to a good glue job is clean the handle bar!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rvercoe218; 01-12-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Sinking Turtle Resort In Bleckley County, Georgia

Just thought I would add my .02.
    I read the instructions & watched the video.
    I then went out to change the grips. I slid the screwdriver in and worked it around but they WOULD NOT budge. I had no Windex or WD-40 but I did have Greased Lightening.
    Unreal ! I raised up an area with the screwdriver, squirted the Lightening in and they literally fell off!
    Clean too, no oily mess to clean up. I cleaned the old glue off and used Gorilla Glue. Waiting on it to dry now.
    Also used an old end cap for the key mod while I was at it !

.....the road goes on forever........

Quote Originally Posted by mark_1bx View Post
    So far I've removed all stock grips with compressed air......about 5 seconds
    Yep, the standard dealer method for 40 years.
    I insert tube from contact cleaner in to melt the glue a little, and no glue is needed for new grips.

Just rewet the glue with cleaner and shove new ones on.
    It sets so fast, they won't budge.

Default Toooo... Super Glue!

Left grip fit went well, but got caught fitting the new throttle grip side and was not quick enough!! and the super glue set rock hard with it only half on !!
    Ended up having to cut it all off with a hacksaw etc - not pretty, put original back on to get by and had to send over to you guys for another pair !!!
    This time I used normal contact glue (Gorilla Glue) you get more time to fit and adjust and it does the job just fine.

And thats my advice to anyone else too - leave the super glue supplied in the tubes - its too mean a brew for the job and is overkill for the purpose, giving you no slack time at all. (Hell, Honda only put a squirt of contact glue in the originals)

Nice grips tho for $160 !!
    Anyone wanna buy a left side ???

Cheers Phil
    (wonder how many others get caught, but never say? c' mon now, step up- don't be shy )

Quote Originally Posted by mark_1bx View Post

Pull the end caps off. Jam the rubber tip of the blow gun just under the grip....between the grip and the bar. Quickly blow the air and pull.
    Worked like a charm.
    2004 VTX 1800C, PCIII usb (current map M109-009), V&H Bigshots baffles removed, Desmog, Black T-Motorsports Spike Intake(ebay spike) 200 Battlax rear, Elite3 front, Willie& Max bags, grip end key mod

Does anyone know if there is any problem with taking the end caps off completely when installing the new grips?

Also what is the mod referred to in this thread? I tried a search but no luck. I hope this refers to being able to remove the key after starting the bike without killing the engine.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A10foru View Post
    Also what is the mod referred to in this thread? I tried a search but no luck. I hope this refers to being able to remove the key after starting the bike without killing the engine.
    It's How To remove the stock grips, that's the mod.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    It's How To remove the stock grips, that's the mod.
    Thanks..typo of "key mod" instead of just mod

Default key mod

what they are referring to is using the end cap to house a key so it is disguised on the bike.

Wink Just Great!!!

I used the above method to switch my grips. It worked great, Thanks so much.
    " Live confused...people try harder"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.