Do any additive carb cleaners really work?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do any additive carb cleaners really work?

Default Do any additive carb cleaners really work?

I just bought a used 05 1300 R with 1100 miles on it. I've found, on my limited rides, that I need to choke it a little for quite some time before it will idle with no choke. Because of the low milage, I know the bike sat for long periods and am thinking there might be some build up in the carb.
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had sucess with a carb cleaner that was added to the fuel...

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Sea Foam. You can get it at Pep Boys or NAPA. Good stuff.

Also if you are choking it that much, better check your plugs too.

As an addendum; the nice thing about Sea Foam is that it will also clean up all of the carbon deposits in your engine, including the plugs.

Kindest Regards,

-Will
    2007 VTX1300R (gone, miss it but not cleaning the the chrome...)
    2008 VStrom DL-650 (gone, miss it....)
    2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic with Carpenter Racing 240hp package
    2011 Victory Vision Tourer
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

Techron works and is recommended by Honda. Get it at Wallyworld or any auto supply
    2003 1800R Candy Orange.
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star 205-55-16 HID lighting(Kits available)
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out a window"

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Sea Foam. You can get it at Pep Boys or NAPA. Good stuff.

Also if you are choking it that much, better check your plugs too.

As an addendum; the nice thing about Sea Foam is that it will also clean up all of the carbon deposits in your engine, including the plugs.

Kindest Regards,

-Will
    +1 love sea foam
    2003 VTX-1800C

Boy, everyone's drinkin' the Seafoam Kool-Aid all-of-a-sudden!

Riding like my ass is on fire since 1982.

Seeing that you are in Fort Lauderdale (FL) where it is warm, you really should'nt be needing the choke much at all. You don't say if the bike has the stock or aftermarket air box, or OEM/non OEM exhaust. Both of those things can effect your air/fuel ratio, leaning the engine out, and causing greater than normal use of the choke. Remember, all the choke does is throw extra fuel into the air-stream to overcome what drops out (precipitates) against the cold intake runner and cylinder walls. As the engine warms, the drop out decreases/ends, and the choke is no longer required. Running for extended periods with the choke "on" will cause the engine oil to be washed off the cylinder walls, and if the engine is not run up to full operating temperature, the oil will be diluted by the entry of gasoline.
    Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Yeah, you shouldn't need the choke much at all. I'd check the plugs for fouling and then run Techron Fuel System cleaner, ONLY ADD 1/3rd of a BOTTLE PER TANK!! Techron as said is recommended by most vehicle manufacturers including Honda.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

+1 also on the Sea Foam. Use it in all my 2 and 4 cycle engines. Advanced Auto Parts runs specials on the big size now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by HDKLR View Post
    Boy, everyone's drinkin' the Seafoam Kool-Aid all-of-a-sudden!

Better than drinking the Seafoam itself...you'll really feel THAT in the morning.

2004 VTX 1300c-- Bubs, Thunder Intake, Accutronix Forward Controls, Slapjack Mod, Progressive Springs, various chrome parts.
    2007 Shar Pei/Yellow Lab mix named Buddy-- nut removal mod, no shiny bits.

I am just west of Lauderdale and had a 1300R for 16K miles. I never used the choke and always had fast starts.
    Sounds like one of the following as a guess:
    1) Varnish in Carb. Seafoam may work.
    2) Plugs need cleaning or replacement due to a carbon problem from using Premium gas.
    3) Loose or kinked vaccum hose due to removing tank or doing mods.
    If carb is heavily varnished you may need to have it cleaned but I doubt if an 05 is that varnished yet.

I had the same problem as you when I first got my bike. I really screwed up the plugs running with the choke out. Someone on this board recommended Sea Foam. I was not optimistic, but dumped half a can in a full tank of gas. Over the next few days it ran better and better and now I never use the choke. I am a believer.

-Mike-

You can get Seafoam at Wally World..........or at least that's where I got it!! From the price that others have stated on the board, it seems cheaper at Wally World.

I'm running through the tank that I put it in and it seems to be running better.......I don't have to use the choke as much. I wish I could burn through at least a half a tank at one time. I was in the same boat as you......I bought a used 06 with only 1100 miles on it. I got it from a dealer in Allen, Texas and they had serviced it, so it was running pretty good. It's only been lately that I've had to choke more.
    Last edited by LRP VTX; 01-09-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart........
    2006 1300 C - MS Batwing Fairing w/ 8" Clearview Shield windshield, 1800C solo seat with a BadX seat mod, Clocks4Bikes stem clock, Kury highway mount and pegs, Gas cap Hinge.....

I bought an '04 1300c that had 8000 miles and spent the last two years sitting un-run in a garage with half a tank of gas. A new battery and air in the tires is all it needed. It cranks and runs with two twists of the throttle...no choke at all unless it's below 30 (only needed once). I go between two sets of pipes...stock and stock with the Clayton Mod. No carb adjustment, still have my pair valve and my only problem is the decel pop with the Clayton pipes...doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

Not braggin', just wonderin' what all the fuss is?

roy d...It's a Honda, for Pete's sake!

Edit: Seafoam worked great in my old Isuzu...really cleans things up.
    Last edited by roydamnmercer; 01-09-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: additional info

Molon Labe! If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
    CLUB ORANGE Charter Member
    2004 Dreamsicle Orange 1300C with tan leather Corbin "Young Guns" seat. Paladin Highway Bars, Kury Longhorn pegs, MS Hellcat shield (occasionally), Metzeler 880's

Quote Originally Posted by estromberg View Post
    Better than drinking the Seafoam itself...you'll really feel THAT in the morning.
    The same could be said for some flavors of Kool-Aid! Wait - maybe I'm thinking of the Mad Dog 20/20.

Riding like my ass is on fire since 1982.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.