Megaboost Batteries (Cycle Gear) - Any Experience?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Megaboost Batteries (Cycle Gear) - Any Experience?

Default Megaboost Batteries (Cycle Gear) - Any Experience?

Hello all, this is my first post to the new board I think, it's good to be back! Starting to get used to the look....

I was wondering if anyone here has every dealt with, or had a Megaboost Battery. I bought one a couple of months ago for the X, a little better price than the others, and it had a lifetime warrenty, so I figured, what the heck!

I got a full charge on it, rode it, it fired up, ran great, all was well. Then it was thanksgiving, we went to Ill for the week, I came home sick, and then it got worse, walking pnemonia in fact. So with that said, I was down for about three weeks, working but little else. Din't even think about the bike, no charger, no riding. Then it was Christmas, gone another week. Got back, decided to uncover and try the bike. Nothing, not a single dash light even.

Put the battery tender on, leave it for two days, never turns green. Still nothing.

Even if you don't have one of these batteries, is it complelty gone? Any hope? Do you think it's the battery, or just the fact that it sat so long. I swear I have batteries sit longer and at least give some sign of life, maybe not enough amps to turn the motor, but something.

Thanks all......

Till 03/09: '05 VTX1300R, Red, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, Hypercharger, etc...etc...etc

Present: 2010 HD Street Glide, lots of black.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

A good battery, should be able to take a drain and recharge. I said "Good" battery, like Yuasa. Seems this "Megaboost" is not taking a charge and may be dead. Next time, stick with a Yuasa battery and you'll be a lot better off.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

My oem Yuasa lasted six years and I replaced it with the same, but I have never went 3 weeks without riding. Have a battery tender but never used it.
    2002 VTX1800c-Mustang seat-V&H Big Shots with TM baffles-Thunder Hurricane-Power Command III-Memphis Shades Big Shot-Madco Cam Lock-31T-Bridgestone Tires-Progressive 412 HD-Progressive front springs-X Hinge -Bosh plugs-5 40 Rotella oil with Pure one filters-Barnett Clutch with HD springs-lot of Honda and Kury chrome and other goodies.

Default DEKA

Yuasa is very good but my 25 years of battery experience would recommend DEKA brand. American made in PA in the worlds largest
    battery factory. Original Equipment supplier to HD for the past 8 years.
    www.dekabatteries.com I expect a unfavorable response from Spike
    but I KNOW BATTERIES.
    Batteries are my life. I am always starting something. 02 1800S RED of course

Till 03/09: '05 VTX1300R, Red, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, Hypercharger, etc...etc...etc

What are we "Bumping" ? Are you looking for another answer other than "Your battery is dead, you need a new one"? If it isn't taking a charge, it's dead. Take it to a Napa or Auto Zone and have them test it.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Yeah dude, what I am "bumping" or looking for is the answer to my question, has anyone used the megaboost battery. Has anyone experiences that with a battery. Not looking for Chicago Spikes favorite brand. I could find that in about 30 other posts on this board. Thanks for keeping an eye on all the posts though, and determining which one are acceptable to look for opinions other than yours.....

Wow, lighten up just a bit dude. I didn't know you were looking for other Megaboost buyers, I thought you were looking for more help on why your battery wasn't taking a charge. That's why I asked why the bump, and I suggested taking to an auto parts store to have it tested. It was a question, to help me and others better help you, nothing person was intended.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Just checked this prior to heading into my last meeting of the day, yep, at 7 PM. Which maybe explains my harsh post, just been one of those long days. My apologies, as I always respect your posts and opinions, and one of those members here that you can count on for the right advice.

My other frustration is that I spent fairly decent money on this mega-crap battery, with it's "lifetime warrenty" and expected better from it. I guess my thought is, or question was, other than riding more, which I just couldn't do over the time in question, was there more I should have done? Keep the thing on a trickle or battery tender the whole time? One a week? Should a battery drain out like that completely in a month and not take a charge? With that said, would a Yuasa have behaved the same way under my lack of attention?

Is it just, as they said one of those Chris Farley / David Spade movies..."You can put a warrenty on a box of crap, but you still have a box of crap!"

Thanks all......

No problems, typed words are hard to get the meanings from. As for another battery doing the same, no they shouldn't. Unless you have some parasitic draw happening where the juice is draining away even though the bike is off, a battery should be fine for at least a month with no help. Just as a point, my bike has been under a cover since November and not plugged into a tender, and I just had it on last week and the battery was fine. It is plugged in now, and it only took about 6 hours for the light to go green saying fully charged again.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCruizer View Post
    Yeah dude, what I am "bumping" or looking for is the answer to my question, has anyone used the megaboost battery. Has anyone experiences that with a battery. Not looking for Chicago Spikes favorite brand. I could find that in about 30 other posts on this board. Thanks for keeping an eye on all the posts though, and determining which one are acceptable to look for opinions other than yours.....
    Hey, easy on Spike...he's the pope "papa" and has forgotten more about bikes and riding than I'll ever know. On the battery subject, mine still has the original one, but it's been telling me for the last few months, that it's time for replacement. Just ordered the Yuasa replacement from HDL. The original has never failed me, but I can tell it's getting weaker. Never put a charger on it, but never sat for more than 2 weeks either.
    02 1800 R/S Candy Red
    Hondaline bags, shield, and lightbar, Bigshots, PC III, Mustang, Palladin guards, Kury grips, CCS-100 cruise, Stebel Nautilus, desmogged, ground mod, tail light mod

Default input

A battery tender is not really a battery charger. It is designed to keep a fully charged battery fully charged. It usually will not charge a battery that is below 50% state of charge. This battery acts totally dead. It is possible that the battery might charge but you will need to find a true battery charger that is designed for sealed batteries. I have several from Autozone that work well for any type of battery, flooded, gel or in this case AGM. About $100. If you can find a battery company in your area they would charge and test it, probably for free. It is very suspect that it went dead that quick. As Spike said it is either a parasitic draw, or the battery could just be a dud. Many times unsuspecting people get a
    battery that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time. I would contact
    the person you bought it from and ask for a replacement. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Battman; 01-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Batteries are my life. I am always starting something. 02 1800S RED of course

Thanks everyone, that's the info I was looking for. I am going to exchange this battery and give it one more try, then it's back to Yuasa for me. Also going to check on any possible draws from the things I have wired in. Thanks as always.

Default not sure about deka

Just wanted to tell you i bought a deka for my 2003 vtx 1800 last oct 2008 and my battery tender takes days sometimes now to turn green. my original yuasa turned green the winter before that after setting outside for a week in a matter of minutes or seconds.It lasted five+ years
    I'm going to take this one out and have it checked.
    bluegrass music finger pic'in good

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCruizer View Post
    Also going to check on any possible draws from the things I have wired in.
    This may be part of the problem. I would recommend having a relay for all add ons coming off the battery. This will make it so there is only a draw when the key is on. If you have more than 1 or 2 items consider an auxiliary fuse box. Do a search on "auxiliary fuse box" or "relay" for more info.

I am not big on having items that are always hot on the battery, with the possible exception of LED accent lighting.
    Dave Alcantara
    USCG Retired
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

If you want the absolute best battery bar none, get the Gman battery. Some store their bikes over the winter and never use a tender at all. One guy on intruderalert had a LC1500, which is known for it's weak electrical system. Wanted to see what the Gman had, started the bike and stopped it over 50 times. The battery was still cranking the bike, his starter however, died.
    Not the cheapest battery out there, but well worth it

http://www.gmanindustries.com/produc...products_id/61

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.