Going turbo..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going turbo..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Default Going turbo..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HERE IS SOME TECH INFO FOR THOSE WHO WANT SICK PERFORMANCE..

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/cus...rbo/index.html

Honda VTX Turbo - Big Low Bang Budget

Building A VTX Turbo You Can Actually Ride

In today's cruising world, the streets and TV channels are full of custom choppers costing $60K and $80K, with some even topping $100K. The die-hard backyard builder is left with quite a dilemma if his intention is to create a unique metric cruiser that'll command even a smidgeon of attention in this crowded field. Even in rural areas far from biker meccas like Daytona Beach or Hollywood, the streets are literally crawling with tricked-out custom bikes. When I looked into the garage at my bone-stock Honda VTX1800F, I wondered if it would ever look as cool as some of the bikes I had seen on the street (and in the pages of Motorcycle Cruiser). I loved riding the VTX, and it was dead reliable, so I didn't want to do anything to affect that aspect, but I did want to make modifications that'd set it apart from the others.
    I spend more time on sportbikes than on cruisers, so the need for more power was at the top of my list; most of my budget went right into the engine. After eyeing some of the various add-on power options, I became attracted to turbochargers. While attending an AMA Prostar dragrace last year, I also noticed that Honda's professional pilot, Kent Stotz, had chosen Velocity Racing for his Honda racebike as well as his own VTX1800. That was enough to convince me to give Barry Henson at Velocity Racing a call.
    The Velocity street kit for the VTX features a Garrett T-28 dual ball-bearing turbocharger and a rising-rate fuel pump that, in conjunction with an off-the-shelf Dynojet Power Commander, would ensure a 100 percent streetable bike that could be ridden every day. This system would be set at 8 psi and deliver more than a 60 percent increase in power compared to stock. Since the VTX is sold in so many different versions, Velocity has to hand-fit each bike with the necessary plumbing to make the system look as good as it does. After fabrication is completed, everything is then sent out for chrome plating. As the photos show, the fitment is nothing short of amazing. In fact, the turbo is tucked so nicely into the engine that your legs will hit the tank before they come close to the turbo or the pressurized up-pipe that feeds the new intake plenum. If you're sitting on the seat and looking down at the tank, the entire turbo system is hidden from view. The newly designed exhaust comes with full heat shielding and is included in the turbo package.

This Velocity Racing- modified Honda is capable of serious power, as demonstrated by Kent Stotz. The four-time AMA Prostar drag-racing champion for the Honda Rider's Club lights up the rear tire at Memphis Motorsports Park.

One of the goals on this project was to have a custom paint job that still let everyone know it was a Honda. So the VTX logo was incorporated into the elaborate "real flame" paint scheme.
    The only deviation from stock on the left side of the bike is the billet-aluminum rising-rate fuel pump. Since the bike's thirst for fuel is directly proportional to the level of boost, this device allows the fuel delivery to keep pace. The Dynojet Power Commander further fine-tunes the fuel map, resulting in a bike that really is as good as a stock VTX. The only internal engine modification is the clutch. With this much extra power, we wanted to ensure the Honda clutch would stay locked up, so MTC Engineering was chosen to supply a set of its heavy-duty clutch springs and fiber clutch plates. Other than that, the engine stayed stock (partly because Henson advised that no modifications were required, even on the 20 psi race kit). At a price of $12,000 (which includes installation), the Velocity turbo system isn't cheap, but if you consider the time and expense of an engine build that will yield a lot less power and perhaps less reliability, then it starts to make sense.
    The next change was the paint job. It's my feeling that a custom paint job is the most personal and perhaps most difficult of all motorcycle modifications. I've been to Daytona Bike Week countless times and have attended plenty of shows, and the paint is usually what makes or breaks the bike for me. Since I have no artistic ability, my goal was to find a painter I trusted and leave the artistry to him. After looking at numerous artists in my area (Chattanooga, TN), I settled on Liquid Visions in Ringgold, GA. Gary Stroud is the in-house Picasso, and after seeing his work, I decided he'd be able to make my bike stand out. I gave him input about the colors I liked and also told him that the bike was a Honda-and I wanted it to look like one after he finished. To keep the cost reasonable, I disassembled the bike and presented Stroud with the parts I wanted painted, along with photos of a stock VTX as a reference. About five weeks later, Stroud called me to come take a look at the finished product. The paint was wild. It all started with a base coat of House of Kolor Tangerine, followed by careful airbrushing of the "real flames." To maintain the Honda look, Stroud borrowed the tribal flames from the photos I had left behind and augmented them with some metal flakes. Then a VTX logo was sprayed on each side of the tank, and finally, five coats of clear were applied to create depth. After leaving 25 copies of Ben Franklin with Stroud, I was well on my way to a custom bike.

The project was now starting to really look the way I wanted, but naturally, a few more things were on my list. The next goal was to get rid of the black brake lines, so I ordered up a custom Spiegler brake line kit from Honda Direct (hondadirectline.com). The kit maintains the Honda linked brakes but greatly improves the feel and look. This install is not for the fainthearted, though, as it includes 14 separate lines and requires removal of the tank and seat to access the factory parts. I also ordered chrome Kryakyn passenger rear pegs from Honda Direct to upgrade the plain-Jane rubber stockers. And if you want to add other shiny stuff, go no farther than your local dealer. I found a ton of stuff for nearly every VTX spec in the Honda accessory catalog, adding the following chrome bits: master cylinder cover, billet banjo bolt covers, billet oil dipstick, chrome driveshaft cover, swingarm pivot cover and a chrome driveshaft bolt cover. Honda parts have the best fitment and quality of any on the market.

After torquing everything down, I couldn't wait to get the "X" back on the road. Riding the bike this time was in some ways exactly the same; the engine is just as reliable as it was before the turbo, only faster. The dual ball-bearing turbo spools almost instantly and pushes the bike forward with an extra 50 horsepower. The only thing that stops the turbocharged fun is the rev-limiter. Even in top gear the bike will easily bounce the tach off the redline. Unlike many 130-plus-hp custom cruisers, this one starts easily and cruises the interstates as well as crowded city streets without overheating. Velocity does suggest 93-octane fuel just to be safe, but with the relatively low 9.0:1 stock compression ratio, even this is probably overkill. The bike is just as smooth as ever, but now it hits you with the kind of brute torque that a true power cruiser should deliver
    Beauty is subjective, of course, but based on the stares my bike gets on the road and at local bike nights, I have to proclaim my mission "accomplished." Even among hard-core traditional bikers, the appeal seems universal. Maybe the chrome hair dryer hanging on the side of the engine is the lure, or perhaps it is the unmistakable whistle of the turbocharger that commands their attention. Or perchance it is the combination of a powerful yet functional Honda cruiser that looks like a bike costing a lot more. It wasn't exactly cheap, but when compared to the aforementioned customs, it seems like a bargain every time I leave one of them behind at a traffic light.

RIDE HARD RIDE SAFE ..VTXBRONCO ...CHROME WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MY RIDE PICS http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=233
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1640

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Woah that's sick!

***** yeah!!
    -Richard
    05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
    I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
    DS -01/06/07

That's one sleek looking turbo set-up, clean as a whistle, most look like a plumber's nightmare.

You can make that kinda power with out a turbo for 1/2 the money...

http://www.imidc.com/index.html
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Now thats definitely a head turner. Great looking bike!
    2005 1800F Silver Tribal, vance&hines, k&n, pcIII

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

I know Kent from a few years ago meeting hm at the Honda Homecoming. He lives near me and I have been to his shop to see his VTX in action, Got a few peeks at secret Honda stuff that he wouldn't allow me to take pictures of like a trans and final drives of chain for racing. He's a very nice guy and will talk your ear off if you let him! I've told him of this site, but he has never joined up for some reason.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

I gotta wonder, in my stretch to make my custom turbo, if it wouldn't be worthwhile to get the adapter for dual intakes and make a twin-turbo system with 2 intakes. Now that, coupled with stronger cams, crankshaft, etc. I bet I could blow the pants off some serious sportbike riders!

Quote Originally Posted by White_Feather View Post
    I'd just buy a Hayabusa.
    Just ain't the same as a haul-a$$in' cruiser.
    ed

2012 marble red haze Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS

Way old thread, Kent has long since sold his VTX

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by White_Feather View Post
    I'd just buy a Hayabusa.
    The new king of HP is the new bimmer S1000RR.

'02 1800C, V&H Big Shots, Kury Corsair intake, DeBadged, Desmogged, PCIII Dyno Tuned, Mustang seat, NDAna
    HID kit, 1300 final.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Way old thread, Kent has long since sold his VTX
    Actually he still has it and is still trying to sell it. It's currently on consignment at Zone Honda in Chicago. It's listed really really low. I can't believe it's not selling. Although i'm not sure if you'd be able to get insurance on it being that if you get your own boost controller and crank up the turbo, you can get 268 HP to the rear wheel.
    Lots of intentional and unintentional mods... Loves to test the limits!

Looks cool, but my arms are long enough - thank you ....
    2008 1800T - Spec 1 - Two-tone Black ,Candy Black Cherry - Honda Light Bar - Cobra Tach - Cobra Fatty's - Ulimate Big Boy - 10-40 Amsoil - 75-90 Amsoil - Metzeler's .....

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop ... View Post
    Looks cool, but my arms are long enough - thank you ....

'02 1800C, V&H Big Shots, Kury Corsair intake, DeBadged, Desmogged, PCIII Dyno Tuned, Mustang seat, NDAna
    HID kit, 1300 final.

Quote Originally Posted by monty26 View Post
    Actually he still has it and is still trying to sell it. It's currently on consignment at Zone Honda in Chicago. It's listed really really low. I can't believe it's not selling. Although i'm not sure if you'd be able to get insurance on it being that if you get your own boost controller and crank up the turbo, you can get 268 HP to the rear wheel.
    That aint no lie! they want $11.5k for it... well worth it.
    2006 VTX1800N2
    Ape Roster#36
    Mods: PCIII, C-Peg Conversion, Thunder Hurricane, Cobra Drag Longs, De-badge, Reflector Delete, 12.5" x 1.25" Apes, 1.5" Risers, De-smog, Galfer SS Lines..To Do: maybe a sissy? etc
    "Only Dead Men have Seen the End of War." ~ Plato

Cool!!! Yeah it is worth it with all teh Honda R&D parts inside that beast

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
    The new king of HP is the new bimmer S1000RR.
    for 1000'cc
    busa is still king
    Builder and tuner of the WORLDS fastest Motorcycle riden by a woman 243.6 MPH

I love the picture on the gas tank!

They have it listed, seems like a fair price for a turn key turbo VTX

bone stock 2003 1800C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycheese View Post
    for 1000'cc
    busa is still king
    I might be wrong and don't want to start anything, but from what I've read in the mags, 'Busa sits at about 194 crank HP and the S1000RR is 197 rear wheel.

http://sportbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...ower-than.html

Here's a guy that did the math on it all.

Anyway, at those horsepower levels it's more than enough to not make that much of a difference.

HID kit, 1300 final.

I might be wrong and don't want to start anything, but from what I've read in the mags, 'Busa sits at about 194 crank HP and the S1000RR is 197 rear wheel.

http://sportbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...ower-than.html

Here's a guy that did the math on it all.

Anyway, at those horsepower levels it's more than enough to not make that much of a difference.
    Read Johnnycheese sig line......
    1800F

Quote Originally Posted by proud dad View Post
    Read Johnnycheese sig line......
    I should learn to read the sigs.

Just basing my point on what I read re: stock bikes. If I'm wrong, well then I'm sorry, I most certainly did not intend to speak out of school

*Edit*
    Just wanted to say as well, my '02 VTX1800C is just plenty fast for me, wouldn't trade it for either of the previously mentioned superbikes, no way!
    Last edited by Harkon; 06-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.

HID kit, 1300 final.

Jeez..who ressurrected this post???....yea ..its still the sickest set up ive seen yet!!!!

RIDE HARD RIDE SAFE ..VTXBRONCO ...CHROME WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MY RIDE PICS http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=233
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1640

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmVhyHBRAM[/ame]

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

I should learn to read the sigs.

Just basing my point on what I read re: stock bikes. If I'm wrong, well then I'm sorry, I most certainly did not intend to speak out of school

*Edit*
    Just wanted to say as well, my '02 VTX1800C is just plenty fast for me, wouldn't trade it for either of the previously mentioned superbikes, no way!
    yes i am saying stock beemer 1000 170-180 rwh
    08-09 busa 180-190 rwh
    Builder and tuner of the WORLDS fastest Motorcycle riden by a woman 243.6 MPH

08-09 busa 180-190 rwh
    Okee dokee, I'm taking your word for it.

HID kit, 1300 final.

I'll take the Ninja or the Beemer any day over the 'busa.
    Ex-X-Rider... Now on a Kawasaki Concours 1400! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

Default Cool idea, but not realistic

First time posting on this forum, but a long time viewer. Anyway, does a turbocharged VTX sound awesome? No doubt. However, who's willing to shell out $12,000 for a system like this on a bike whose resale is about half this? Cool idea? Yes. Practical? Not a chance. Guys who think they need to turbocharge the VTX for more power bought the wrong kind of bike.

Rich

08-09 busa 180-190 rwh
    Yup, the new Beemer is one bad machine.
    On the 8th day God created the . . . VTX.

Quote Originally Posted by vtxcpower View Post
    First time posting on this forum, but a long time viewer. Anyway, does a turbocharged VTX sound awesome? No doubt. However, who's willing to shell out $12,000 for a system like this on a bike whose resale is about half this? Cool idea? Yes. Practical? Not a chance. Guys who think they need to turbocharge the VTX for more power bought the wrong kind of bike.

Rich
    Going faster is never wrong. I don't have the 12k laying around. . . . but if I did my fast VTX would soon be 45% faster
    2003 1800C

He anit got the only VTX 1800 Tubro out there !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    07 1800 T - Vince & Hinse, PC III, Thunder Hurricane Intake, Ultimate Lowrider, & a lot of chrome, Metz front & rear ( 200 ). Starting mileage .2 now 25,250 & Loving ever minute of it !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.