Honda VTX Forum banner

Painting Airbox Need Info Please!!

395 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lordoss 
#1 ·
Hey guys and Gals
Wanting to paint the chrome airbox cover a gloss black on the M109 so I know some here have done this with the VTX and need info. What is the process you have used and what type of paint?
Thanks for any help
Perry

#2 ·
I did mine and here is the process I used.

-Scuff the surface to be painted with some coarse sand paper. This is to give the primer something to bond too.

-Clean with degreaser (the paint kind not the engine kind) to get rid of any debris.

-Put on a few coats of primer that is designed to bond with plastic.

-Give it a light sand to make smooth. Use wet and dry fine paper (start at about 800 grade).

-Clean with the paint degreaser again.

-Apply a couple of layers of paint.

-Sand once again to get rid of any "orange peel" effect in the paint.

-Clean with degreaser.

-If you are happy with the paint job (it will be dull) ie it's even, then you can now move onto the next step. If not then sand and clean, sand and clean until it's perfect.

-Give the paint a good polish to bring up the shine. If all looks good then move on to the next step.

-Paint a few layers of clear.

-Wet sand again to ensure a smooth clear finish.

-Clean and then polish, buff, polish, buff, polish, buff and then see how you like it.

I did mine in black and it came out looking smooth and shiney. I did my helmet bucket the same way with great results.

This is my airbox and bucket before I replaced the airbox with a Thunder Tornado.

#3 ·
lordoss
Man that was a nice job :thumbup:
Thanks all for the info everybody....Yep I'm going to start tonight>
Ill post the results
Perry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.