Honda VTX Forum banner

Another D@MNED Harley-Davidson Thread!!!

3K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  fishwater71 
#1 ·
OK, I know we are all getting tired of these incessant H-D threads!! If ya' want an H-D, get one and go off to H-D nirvana, right??

;)

Well, this is a little different.

I spent last week in Oshkosh, WI at the annual EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) 'AirVenture.' It was a great trip. But, on Wednesday it rained. So, I decided to cut the Osh day short and drive down to Milwaukee and visit the Harley-Davidson Museum. Good decision!

I am not a fan of H-D's current line up. I prefer my X. But, I have to admit that I admire 'The Motor Company.' It has been around for more than 100 years and has survived many trials and tribulations.

We tend to think of H-D as a 'Big Company.' For most of their existence they have been a small company. They were only 'Big' when owned by AMF. And, they did a lot of R&D under AMF. Except for the last ~20 years since the management buyout, they have been rather aggressive in their R&D work and new product development. They had a lot of product development from their inception until WWII and then again in the 1950s and 1960s. That may not seem correct to many reading this post, but it is true. Again, they are NOT General Motors, they are a small company trying to survive in a very competitive market.

I took a picture of every bike and many of the plaques at the museum. I have tried to post them to Photobucket, but some did not make it. I also had them in a logical order, but because of some internet issues, I had to upload them in batches. So, they are a bit jumbled.

Enjoy and if you ever get a chance to spend 2 to 6 hours at the museum, I guarantee you will enjoy it!

This is my first time to try to use Photbucket, so let me know if the link does not take you to 'JoeT1951' and the H-D Museum July 2011 album.

Here is the link:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n621/JoeT1951/?albumview=slideshow

Regards,
Joe T.

See less See more
#11 ·
Have been trying to get up there to see it but, everything gets in the way.

However, I have been to the motorcycle museum in Iowa. It's a nice ride to get over there from IL. It's in Anamosa, Ia.

The museum is right down the street from J&P Cycles store

You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone as the saying goes. They have everything. A must see if out for a ride.

www.nationalmcmuseum.org/

#12 ·
I drove by J&P going to and coming back from Osh. I wanted to stop while coming home (it was a Friday before noon). But, I had 'get home-itis.'

Joe T.

#15 ·
Have been trying to get up there to see it but, everything gets in the way.

However, I have been to the motorcycle museum in Iowa. It's a nice ride to get over there from IL. It's in Anamosa, Ia.

The museum is right down the street from J&P Cycles store

You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone as the saying goes. They have everything. A must see if out for a ride.

www.nationalmcmuseum.org/
:firstplace:

#18 ·
H-D owned Holiday Rambler RV

One thing I was surprised about at the museum was no mention of H-D owning Holiday Rambler RVs. I thought H-D owned HR, so I just checked Wiki:

Holiday Rambler Corporation was an American corporation which primarily manufactured recreational vehicles. It was founded in 1953. In 1961, Holiday Rambler’s introduction of aluminum body framing ushered in a new era of lighter, stronger and more durable recreational vehicles (RVs). This aluminum frame (Alumaframe) became the standard for lighter and stronger RVs for 40 years. Holiday Rambler was also responsible for many firsts; built-in refrigerators, holding tanks and aerodynamic radiused corners. As Holiday Rambler moved into motorhomes, they were the first with tag axles and the kitchen slide-out revolutionized "interior engineering" in the field.[2] Holiday Rambler was sold to Harley-Davidson in 1986 and later in 1996 to the Monaco Coach Corporation where its future, now under Navistar International Corp., is difficult in 2010 as it is for most motorhome manufacturers.[3][4]
Holiday Rambler is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Navistar International Corp.

Wonders never cease!

Joe T.

#20 ·
My best friend had his wedding reception there over the 4th of July weekend. I got to see some of the museum while we were getting pictures taken, but I would like to go back to see more of the museum someday. All the wedding guests got into the museum for free, and they all thought the museum was great.

#21 ·
I have put more miles on a Harley than any other person - - - -

All,

I have more miles on an H-D than any living person. And, I never moved the bike an inch!

My parents lived across the street and down three houses from my mother's mother (my Grandmother) and three of her sons in the 1950s. I was not even in grade school. I adored my grandmother and my three uncles. I spent every minute I could at their house.

In 1951, the year I was born, my mother's youngest brother, Uncle Jake, bought a brand new H-D 45 flathead. I obviously don't remember that, but I remember the results of that Harley purchase. Uncle Jake rode that thing everywhere, according to my Dad.

In 1955, Uncle Jake rode his H-D 45 Flathead from Ft. Worth, TX to Yellowstone national Park. That was quite a feat in those days - no interstates.

Uncle Jake was a nature lover. While riding the narrow two lane roads in / near Yellowstone going up a mountain, he was watching an eagle overhead. He ran off the asphalt onto the lower shoulder. When he tried to get back onto the asphalt he slid over.

Not much damage, but it required some new parts. I remember him telling me that H-D used Chevy coils and some other items.

Anyway, Uncle Jake got back to Ft. Worth (probably 1,800 miles) and parked his 1951 H-D 45 in the back yard and bought a new 1955 Ford pickup. He did not ride the motorcycle anymore.

This H-D was 'special.' It had floorboards, a shifter on the tank, a foot clutch, a 'plexi-glass' windshield with a leather lower and fringe, leather saddlebags with fringe, and a seat with springs on the back. It was black, of course.

About the time I started to school, 1958, I became enamored with Uncle Jake's Harley. I would walk over to Grandma's house and go into the back yard. I would get on that Harley and 'ride' it all day! I bet I put at least one million miles on that thing by the time I was 10 years old!!!

Uncle Jake gave it away to a guy he worked with at Bell Helicopter about when I was 10. I had several cousins around my age in the Ft. Worth area at the time.

I asked Uncle Jake many years later why he gave the Harley away. He said he was afraid one of his nephews would talk him out of it, get it running, and get killed or hurt. He could not let that happen.

So, even though I am not a H-D fan, I do have very fond memories of Uncle Jake and his Harley. I miss him, and his Harley.

Regards,
Joe T.

#22 ·
Nice post, its too bad that 1981 Nova Touring OHC V-Four Harley model was never released. It was ahead of its time.
I agree.

Regards,
Joe T.

#24 ·
Joe,

Good post. Harley truly is an American icon, regardless what someone thinks about their bikes. They are also in the top 10 of all corporate taxpayers in America, paying over 33% of their earnings. Again, whatever someone thinks of their bikes, they are a faithful American company and, as far as I'm concerned, worthy of supporting... so get out there and buy a new Harley so they can make more profit and the gov can get more taxes so they can bailout more of Wall Street, Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac - those execs need their multi-million dollar bonuses, you know, what with all those cheap foreclosed homes just waiting to be snapped up for a song. Talk about "income redistribution"... or maybe it's better termed "wealth redistribution".

Sorry for the political rant, but I couldn't help myself :)

#25 ·
Thanks for the post! I have been to the museum twice, most recently this past June. It's an awesome place to visit. An unfortunate thing is that there are probably hundreds of beautiful bikes there in storage on an upper floor, which visitors don't get to see. They have a full time mechanic at the museum and I was told that the engines on almost all of the bikes are in running condition. That's quite a statement.

If you're ever in Milwaukee, this is a must see. They even have a couple bikes outside (wheels off the ground) you can run through the gears on a nice day. And it's awesome to see some of the bikes that people ride in there on their visits.

Rockroll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.