Honda VTX Forum banner

Lane Splitting: Special Laws for Motorcyclists

3K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Stanky Dawg 
#1 ·
Lane splitting is a driving maneuvers commonly practiced by motorcycle riders to move between lanes of slow moving or stopped cars on congested roads.

Lane splitting is only legal in California. The California Highway Patrol says, “Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.”

(I wish Lane splitting & Lane sharing in NC was legal.)

When I'm in stop and go traffic on I-77 with CAGERS talking on their phones and coming close to hitting & running over me I wouldn't think twice about splitting a lane or two.

Thirdty years ago I rode with some and if you were going to kept up there was no choice but cut the traffic. These guys would cut the traffic on two lane roads.

This is the question...

What would you do with CAGERS all most hit or run over you in stop and go traffic?

See less See more
#4 ·
No matter what you decide to do, I'm reminded of what my friend frequently says.

"The one with the most lug nuts wins."

Translation...You're always going to loose when you're on a motorcycle and you pick a fight with another vehicle.

As hard as it might be, just move on and keep alert.

#5 ·
I only want the same rights as a car. No more, no less. Lane splitting is nanny, nanny, boo-boo, I am getting ahead of you. It is wrong. Lane splitters should drive a car if they can't deal with the traffic like everyone else. Instant road rage material.

Herb

#6 ·
Lane splitting is only legal in California.

Not exactly true.

It is stated in law as I understand it in California to be legal. Not all other states have a law saying it's illegal. The laws may not say it's legal either. But if the laws don't say in the law it's illegal, then it doesn't make it illegal and if ticketed you might be able to defeat the ticket in court. That would depend on the court and judge you are in front of.

I'm not saying go out and split lanes. I happen to think it's too dangerous. All I'm saying is it may not be illegal.

Tejas

#7 ·
Not exactly true.

It is stated in law as I understand it in California to be legal. Not all other states have a law saying it's illegal. The laws may not say it's legal either. But if the laws don't say in the law it's illegal, then it doesn't make it illegal and if ticketed you might be able to defeat the ticket in court. That would depend on the court and judge you are in front of.

I'm not saying go out and split lanes. I happen to think it's too dangerous. All I'm saying is it may not be illegal.

Tejas
This is what I was reading.

Lane Splitting
Lane splitting is a driving maneuver commonly practiced by motorcycle riders to move between lanes of slow moving or stopped cars on congested roads.
Lane splitting is only legal in California. The California Highway Patrol says, “Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.” California lacks specific guidelines as to what is a safe and prudent manner. Two factors used to determine whether squeezing past traffic was done in a safe and prudent manner are the speed of the motorcycle and the speed of the surrounding traffic.
Lane sharing on the other hand, where two motorcycles occupy the same lane, is legal in a majority of states. The Free Advice website has more information about motorcycle laws.

I thought I would check if it was a law.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/shr_slow_veh.htm
MOTORCYCLES

Motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers. While everyone must follow the same traffic laws, motorcyclists face unusual dangers because motorcycles are hard to see (many motorcycles keep their headlight(s) on, even during daylight hours) and they require exceptional handling ability.

Follow these rules to respect the right-of-way and safely share the road with motorcyclists:
  • When you change lanes or enter a major thoroughfare, make a visual check for motorcycles. Also use your mirrors. Motorcycles are small and they can easily disappear into a vehicle’s blind spots.
  • Allow a four-second following distance. You will need this space to avoid hitting the motorcyclist if he or she falls.
  • Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.
  • Never try to pass a motorcycle in the same lane you are sharing with the motorcycle.
  • When you make a turn, check for motorcyclists and know their speed before turning.
  • Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles, which is commonly called “lane splitting.”
  • Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to you pose major hazards to motorcyclists. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings, and grooved pavement can cause motorcyclists to change speed or direction suddenly. If you are aware of the effect of these conditions and drive with care and attention, you can help reduce motorcyclist injuries and fatalities.
This is interesting, here's another posting...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2404922

#9 ·
#10 ·
hwyblues:

I understood what you wrote. I also quoted you on the part I said wasn't exactly true. The part where you said it was only legal in California was the wrong part. I then explained why that statement might not be completely true. I also know this to be true for my state since it not written into my states laws to be illegal.

As a member of ABATE in my state I stay up on the laws reguarding motorcyclist in my state pretty well.

Tejas

#11 ·
"Lane Splitting" is lots of fun. The faster the four wheeled traffic is going, the more fun it is. When the road is really jammed, but moving, we call it "whitewater". Kinda like shooting the rapids on a river in a canoe. Jersey is one of the states Tejas mentioned where there is 'no law against' it, but, don't delude yourself. Most LEOs (except the few motor cops, who do slow speed splitting themselves) take a real dim view of it and will write you for 'careless' if you get caught. I had my old stripped down, hopped up HD out in California for a summer and it was a gas not having to worry about getting stopped.

#12 ·
Lane splitting illegal here in Florida
"No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles".
Not to mention I have had to dodge a couple of people driving with their "HUA" changing into the lane I was in. I don't need the extra excitement of someone veering into me because they don't expect a bike to be riding between the lanes. JMHO

#13 ·
"Lane Splitting" is lots of fun. The faster the four wheeled traffic is going, the more fun it is. When the road is really jammed, but moving, we call it "whitewater". Kinda like shooting the rapids on a river in a canoe. Jersey is one of the states Tejas mentioned where there is 'no law against' it, but, don't delude yourself. Most LEOs (except the few motor cops, who do slow speed splitting themselves) take a real dim view of it and will write you for 'careless' if you get caught. I had my old stripped down, hopped up HD out in California for a summer and it was a gas not having to worry about getting stopped.

Thank you Jimbo...

I was just wondering what others would do if cagers were stopping before hitting or running over you in stop & go traffic.

What would everyone one else do?

I don't care what the law is at this point. I'm cutting thought traffic and getting the H*** out of there.

*Sorry* I started the question out with a CA Law and a story...:dontknow:

#14 ·
After seeing what happens to a lane splitter when one goes through the door window of a pick up in Dallas about 19 years ago.. I have refraind from the urge.

Basicly he was doing about fifty splitting in dead stopped traffic the guy in front of me decided to open his truck door to spit a wad of tabaco out.

it was a very messy clean up. not the tobaco.

#15 ·
Lane splitting illegal here in Florida
"No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles".
Not to mention I have had to dodge a couple of people driving with their "HUA" changing into the lane I was in. I don't need the extra excitement of someone veering into me because they don't expect a bike to be riding between the lanes. JMHO
Roseys, I enjoy reading posts, but, can you hook me up and bring a bigger font to the table :dontknow:

#16 ·
lane spliting at high speed?

whitewater huh? :roll:

I think I'll stick to shooting the rapids while on the river

#22 ·
30 years lane splitting

Lived and rode in California for many years.

Wound only Lane split when traffic was
stopped or going very slow.

Go only 5 mph faster then the cars.
And when traffic is moving stop
spitting lanes and drop back into a lane.
:agree: This is the way I do it.

I've split lines right behind and in front of California Highway Patrol bikes. They watch you like a hawk, but leave you alone if you're not being reckless.

In a wide interpretation of the lane laws, (in California) two vehicles may occupy the same lane as long as space permits, (including cars) notwithstanding all other laws regarding unsafe passing.

The lane splitter is gambling that if they go down, the cagers will not purposly run over them, just as in any other case where they go down.

Is riding a motorcycle dangerious? Of course it is. Is splitting lanes dangerous? Sure. Every rider has his/her limitations of what they will and will not do on a bike. Some will not ride fast in canyons, or will not ride at night or when it's raining. I don't judge other riders for what they do within the local laws, but if someone wants to say I'm 'nuts' for lane splitting, so be it. Still, as long as it's legal here, I'm not going to sit in stop and go traffic (especially in the hot California summer sun) if I don't have to.

I don't like lane splitting because it's nerve wracking, but I hate being stuck in stop-n-go traffic even more. Trust me, there is LOTS of stop-n-go in Southern California!

If there were enough riders getting in accidents from lane splitting you can bet California will/would make a law against it.

#23 ·

I've split lines right behind and in front of California Highway Patrol bikes. They watch you like a hawk, but leave you alone if you're not being reckless.

In a wide interpretation of the lane laws, (in California) two vehicles may occupy the same lane as long as space permits, (including cars) notwithstanding all other laws regarding unsafe passing.

The lane splitter is gambling that if they go down, the cagers will not purposly run over them, just as in any other case where they go down.

Is riding a motorcycle dangerious? Of course it is. Is splitting lanes dangerous? Sure. Every rider has his/her limitations of what they will and will not do on a bike. Some will not ride fast in canyons, or will not ride at night or when it's raining. I don't judge other riders for what they do within the local laws, but if someone wants to say I'm 'nuts' for lane splitting, so be it. Still, as long as it's legal here, I'm not going to sit in stop and go traffic (especially in the hot California summer sun) if I don't have to.

I don't like lane splitting because it's nerve wracking, but I hate being stuck in stop-n-go traffic even more. Trust me, there is LOTS of stop-n-go in Southern California!

If there were enough riders getting in accidents from lane splitting you can bet California will/would make a law against it.
:agree:It is GREAT to follow CHP or Sheriff Patrol Bikes

There is a smart way to split lanes and not so smart way to split lanes
The California Highway Patrol found that in our traffic conditions that it was more dangerous to have bikes trapped between cars, I have read that study and experienced the situations in it also. In slow stop and go bumper to bumper traffic just being there is a risk when splitting with much caution the risk of collision is decreased. There are Idiots, Morons, ect... that don't use any common sense.
When the cars are side by side door by door and stopped or moving very slowly-(under 15mph max) you can actually have more options and ways out if you are splitting lanes than you do when you have someone 5-8 feet off your rear fender and as soon as you leave a safe gap in front someone cuts in. This is also were having a horn like the Stebel can be the most effective, if you have your thumb ready. Most other situations your speed will probably make the horn useless in collision avoidance. And when splitting ironically you will find that most drivers acknowledge your presence which is something you don't get most of the rest of the time on the roads from cagers.

#24 ·
I did it once here in Michigan where it is illegal, between stopped traffic on my Yamaha 400, nice small maneuverable bike.

The back up was about 1/2 mile long to a stop light after cars cleared a long train.
I went between the lanes and got some horn honks and a few people moved over to stop me, but I just went around the other side of their car.
I don't know why they cared.
I didn't seen any cop cars but figured if there was one he couldn't move it to get me anyway;).

Larry

#25 ·

Cant compare riding at night,or anything else you cited,with lane splitting..
Lane splitting involves other drivers in other vehicles,and unlike a twisty road,or riding in the rain,are completely unpredictable..
Add to that the fact that you have two people,one on each side,that are acting independantly of each other,and you in the middle..
Ones moves over,or worse,both at the same time,you get clipped,and down you go...not to mention the ones that see you coming,and do it intentionally...

Legal or not,its way more unsafe because it rests on the common sense,or lack thereof,of other drivers....No thanks....

#26 ·
The times I do it I think save my life. Once I could hear the car tires be hide me breaking lose and I would have been bug S*** on their windshield.

Other times it was bump to bump and the A** Holes in fount of me keep stopping late a locking up their breaks so the car behind me would just about hit me.

The time I thought about it and didn't I got hit by a non-speaking English F***ER. "BIKE GONE" and I was hurt for a year and still have back and leg pain.:twisted:

So has for me. When I see a mess of cars with drivers trying to call home and see what's for dinner or calling their husbands to get him to stop by the store.

I rather just idle though and get gone!

I'm talking about cases like this where I think Lane-Splitting saved my life.

I think talking on cell phones and trying to drive is insane in traffic and I have one and I do it to...:dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.