Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    THEY CAN DO THAT? Not that I'm worried or anything.... My name is Jose Mendez....................

Todd
    my name is John Doe....
    Kevin "Wizard" Elders
    2013 F6B Deluxe
    2007 Goldwing Level III ~ sold
    (R.I.P Mom 08/25/1939 - 01/01/2010)

[R.I.P Garrett Elders 08/14/92 - 03/28/2012]

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSharky View Post
    Yes it did stop the whole process and I was givin a number to call and called and they said it was so old it was not on the computer any more, and had to get the mirco fiche out to look it up. What if they can find it? Florida said they could not do anything till I clear this up. I have to wait till VT can find the micro fishe before they can even help me. I had planed to ride last night and this weekend. Now I don't know when I'll be able to ride. At least they didn't take my fl license away right there on the spot!
    Todd
    Lunatic Fringe

it had to be on a computer some where or how did FL see it? any whoo I hope this works out for you with out some crazy fines. a buddy ran across the same thing in seattle took him 3 months to sort it out

Get on it ride it have fun.. Stop worrying so dam much

Good luck paying off the fine! Hope it doesn't break the bank...
    A GPS is a $500 dollar reason not to stop and ask for directions.

04 1300C BadX seat mod, Paladin backrest.
    97 Valkyrie Tourer

Well the ticket in VT is only 46.00, but there is no way to handle it other then send them a check and then I;ll have to pay 65 dollars on line to get the license reinstated. But I am not sure why I need to get a vt license reinstated?????????
    Todd
    lol...same situation in this state...if you miss ur court date or fail to pay the fine..we send in an NRVC to DMV which suspends your drivers license...once you finally pay the ticket..there is a 100 reinstatement fee here that MUST be paid...
    But it should be paid in the state your licensed in...because that is your valid Driving state and I assume your DL is suspended there also correct...The DMV in your current state should have been aware of the suspension/unpaid ticket when you were licensed in their state...Don't let them make you pay a reistatement fee for both states !!!

Best of luck to ya...uhhhh...yeah..I work in the court system...sorry..lol...
    http://www.vtxcafe.com/gallery/data/928/newcafe0.jpg
    Xtreme Boop...can't stop the Mods.......
    Gallery... http://www.vtxcafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    my name is John Doe....
    Yep..they sure can...definately pay your tickets ..causes many many problems down the road ! Its a bitch when they cuff ya and haul ya off to jail for a 25.00 Seatbelt ticket...errrrrrrr...I've seen it happen more than once..

Quote Originally Posted by Rlee1031 View Post
    it had to be on a computer some where or how did FL see it? any whoo I hope this works out for you with out some crazy fines. a buddy ran across the same thing in seattle took him 3 months to sort it out

Was on the DMV puter !!
    http://www.vtxcafe.com/gallery/data/928/newcafe0.jpg
    Xtreme Boop...can't stop the Mods.......
    Gallery... http://www.vtxcafe.com

it apppears not you can kill someone and there is but don't break the speed limit

Default ticket

how did you renew your regular drivers license without them finding it then??? BoomBoom

I had an unpaid fine for speeding and they suspended my license in that state (I moved away and actually forgot about the ticket). I moved away and got a license in another state (cops harass when you have a license from one state and registration and insurance from another). The DMV there told me about my suspended license in the other state but handed me a new license in the state I was residing. They simply told me it was up to me to handle that how I wanted, but they were not obligated to handle other states issues....

Still haven't paid that fine.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic16109_4.gif

I remember a long time ago I had a couple tix that I ignored. Years later they finally caught up to me. Went to court, the assistant DA dismissed half of them and I had to pay the other half. That was their deal. I quickly agreed as going in I figured I was paying all of them. Funny thing is, I know I had one that was never even brought up. Everything that was mentioned to me, I knew about. 20 Years later, I've had my license renewed a few times and nada. So I guess it's not a problem. I'm certainly not going to bring it to anybodys attention at this point.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what
    I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vtxbronco View Post
    since traffic tickets are what they are..tickets...law enforcement does not waste there man hours finding you to serve a warrant for a ticket..

the warrant goes to your record...so next time YOU DO screw up again and this time they have you,such as pulling you over for something...boom
    your warrant pops up in the cruiser car when they run your liscence and
    plates...hand cuff you ..and off to sleep with the fishes behind bars..
    Right.

I thought that's what I said?

Bub Club member #361

Quote Originally Posted by gsboriqua View Post
    I had an unpaid fine for speeding and they suspended my license in that state (I moved away and actually forgot about the ticket). I moved away and got a license in another state (cops harass when you have a license from one state and registration and insurance from another). The DMV there told me about my suspended license in the other state but handed me a new license in the state I was residing. They simply told me it was up to me to handle that how I wanted, but they were not obligated to handle other states issues....

Still haven't paid that fine.
    Just don't be driving in the state you're suspended in. . .won't matter weather you have a valid license elsewhere or not. You're privilage to operate in that particular state is suspended.

Bub Club member #361

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300cnME View Post
    Just don't be driving in the state you're suspended in. . .won't matter weather you have a valid license elsewhere or not. You're privilage to operate in that particular state is suspended.
    This I know, and it doesn't bother me.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic16109_4.gif

harcosparky

Quote Originally Posted by vtxbronco View Post
    since traffic tickets are what they are..tickets...law enforcement does not waste there man hours finding you to serve a warrant for a ticket..

the warrant goes to your record...so next time YOU DO screw up again and this time they have you,such as pulling you over for something...boom
    your warrant pops up in the cruiser car when they run your liscence and
    plates...hand cuff you ..and off to sleep with the fishes behind bars..
    BINGO!

They won't waste $$$$ tracking down traffic scofflaws. They know the probability is high you will offend and get stopped again.

I've heard cops say that in Traffic Court, that when someone doesn't show up and the Judges issue the FTA warrant. One cop laughed and just said " I know who he is, I get him next time I see him! " To them it seems like a game at times.

The few of us that have a CDL license get put into a national database.
    It comes back to your home state every time...Can't get away with nothing..

2004 1800C, Hard Krome American Classic pipes, HyperCharger-K&N,PC III,Mustang seat,Bobs block off plates,pair mod,Switchblade 2 up,
    200 Metz rear tire..and lots of chrome goodies..

Quote Originally Posted by GaryH NC View Post
    The few of us that have a CDL license get put into a national database.
    It comes back to your home state every time...Can't get away with nothing..
    Isn't that the truth.

Jeffs-1300c. With Some stuff Added to it
    Umm Ya-Hoo..

Well the ticket in VT is only 46.00, but there is no way to handle it other then send them a check and then I;ll have to pay 65 dollars on line to get the license reinstated. But I am not sure why I need to get a vt license reinstated?????????
    Todd

Dude... ask no questions... send the money and consider yourself EXTREMLY fortunate.

For a 30yr old ticket to still be $46 with no penalties and fees ... yeah your a lucky SOB
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

Quote Originally Posted by gsboriqua View Post
    This I know, and it doesn't bother me.
    As long as you know.

be safe

Bub Club member #361

Most states have a 18 month limitation on charging you for a misdemeanor. However, if it is a fine on the books they can wait forever. A business dept is for about seven years. But the government no.
    All women are beautiful and some are more beautiful than others.

Default $$$$$$$$

I argued that point with a judge years ago and he said "Son traffic tickets are like savings bonds the longer you keep them the more they mature" "Congratulations the $46.00 you owed five years ago are now worth $157.00.

Quote Originally Posted by swl2020 View Post
    O.K. guys, here's the deal:
    A drivers license is not a right, it is a priveledge.
    What that means is this: Suspension of the license can be had for failure to appear, failure to pay a fine, and in some States, failure to pay child support and or taxes.
    If you no show or fail to pay the fine, they can throw your a** in jail (Criminal).
    Suspension of the license is a Civil remedy.
    Since all States get Federal $$'s for road building/maintenance, they must agree to be part of what is known as the Interstate Compact. That means violations not answered as well as suspensions, are on a National Database. If the State does not report these, they loose the Federal money

It is called NRVC Non Resident Violators Compact

Around here there's an option to tap into your State Income Tax refund. They enact that some way or the other to satisfy the debt and get dibs on the amount from any funds coming back your way.
    Should you be in arrears on your property taxes they'll deny you a new license when it's time to re-up.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobototmy.
    03 1800C

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDawg View Post
    The state is not the villain in this situation if you got the ticket it is up to YOU to satisfy the fine or court. It is the drivers responsibility to satisfy ALL matters to the state and ascertain that it is in fact entered into the record as such. The state is not a "care" or "don't care" entity and your drivers license is YOUR responsibility to maintain. That is how they see it legally.

True....BUT.....in my buddy's case, he knows he had PAID the fine before he left NY state 20 years ago,......

Hadnt heard from anyone in all this time.

20 years later, he has no proof he paid it.

So, almost $1,000 in penalties and fees now.

Thats not right.

With all of the technology in the last 20 years, your telling me they couldnt track him down?

If I dont pay the IRS, they sure as heck know how to find ME. Heck, even local taxes.....try lot paying them and then moving...they WILL find you fast.

I got a ticket in Virginia a couple years ago......I sent the check in for the fine and a letter asking some questions...never got a response, but my check was cashed. So, do I keep that check until I die to prove that I paid it? Or hope that they got it right and that I dont have an issue 20 years from now?

Its ridiculous. If states are gonna act like a ticket is a savings bond then they should have to prove that they were trying to track the person down. Otherwise its a neasy way for them to make money.
    2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
    RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
    Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
    AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

Most of the time around here, if it is a simple traffic citation for expired inspection or a seat belt violation etc..., then the judge orders your license be suspended through DMV if you are a no show for court. That way, yes, we will get you when we pull you over eventualy (or when you try to get your license renewed after expiration). Also, the D.M.V will send notice of suspension via snail-mail to what ever the address is on your current license. This is why you MUST change your adress after moving within 30 days here, or risk getting a traffic citation for failing to notify DMV of address change. If you have moved and failed to notify DMV, it is not their problem to track you down.

But if it is a traffic offense like driving with a revoked/suspended license, careless and reckless driving etc..., then a warrant with a secured bond is issued when you fail to appear for court. And, it really depends on what kind of mood that particular judge is in and the curent status of your driving record that says what your bond will be. I have seen $300 - $10,000 bonds given for FTA on a traffic case. And once those warrants are issued, they are thrown into the same boxes as domestic violance warrants and any other crime. You will be searched for, the warrant will be served by an Officer or Deputy. This means coming to your home at any hour, and possibly arresting you at a work place or even getting your door kicked in, in certain situations. Best case, be sure to take care of it as soon as possible. Good luck though, i do hope you can get this little mess cleared up so you can ride that bike!

Jagger
    240 Rear Tire / VTX-Treme Triple 8* Triple Trees / BD's Cycles Custom Satin Black Paint

Quote Originally Posted by RayJay View Post
    Two of us got stopped in BYRON WYO, last year in a speed trap in their town. They said Wyo had an agreement with Iowa so I could pay my fine by mailing it in. He said if I didn't pay by a certain date then Iowa would pull my licence till the fine was paid. My friend was from Michigan that didn't have an agreement so his option was to either pay the fine on the spot, ( a cc was fine) or go to jail untill the matter was taken care of.

The fine for me was $100 so I just gave him a c-note hoping he would just pocket it and never send in the paperwork.....

I do warn you about BYRON,,, their speed limit is 5mph lower than most of the other towns around, and they enforce it to the max.....

The cop bragged about how many people he pulled over every week, and it appeared staggereing. He said it wasn't about the money, ( Dodge 3Ton decked out with everything you could imagine) but that the city fathers wanted to protect the childern. I thought afterwards they should put signs up on the outskirts of town that say SPEEDTRAP IF YOU SPEED YOU WILL GET A TICKET. I think that would warn us visitors who pass through once in a lifetime to slow down so we don't become a hazard to their children.

Upton, WY is the same way? I got a ticket for 41 in a 35 because "after you got past the park (the end of town) you just punched it" ???? Wow!! punched it and shot all the way to 6 over, I'm a bad man!!! by the way I was about 200yards from the 55mph speed limit sign.
    Never put your motorcycle where your brain hasn't already been.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepig View Post
    "Statute of limitations" only applies to unsolved crimes. If a suspect is made after the statue of limitations, the suspect cannot be charged. (Excluding some very serious crimes such as homicide)

That is my thinking also,
    bum deal, on your case though

Buying the bike was the cheap part
    "64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday"
    "Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer."

try living in texas we have a surcharge system now after 6 points you have to pay $100 a year for atleast 3 years. Oh and it doesn't matter if you get it in texas or in another state they find out it is crap oh and the point system is 2 points for every ticket. So i paid for a ticket that was like 50 bucks thinking ok I would rather pay for this then take defensive driving just incase i get a larger ticket then guess what couple weeks goes buy and I get a letter saying that I have to pay $100 so I go to my local DMV and ask about it and they tell me all about it so why wasn't I informed of it when they passed the law its . Everyone that I have told about this say they have never heard about it
    2002 1800VTX C all stock except the seat that is how i bought it but i can't leave anything stock for long

This could be a new MC club, Scofflaws. Use pimp colours, green for the money n gold for the honey. Then Charlton Heston's line for the creedo, They'll get my money when they pry my cold, dead fingers from my wallet...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobototmy.
    03 1800C

Default sometimes life can be a b\ch

Quote Originally Posted by shadango View Post
    And that is exactly the point *I* was making....

Why is the state waiting until YOU come to THEM to find this stuff if they are required to talk to each other?

If I stop paying my insurance, they send me hate mail immediately.

I would think that if I have outstanding whatevers, wherever, given todays high state of technology they should be able to contact me immediately.

Instead, the state sits on it for years....and then gets to collect a hefty amount of penalties. So even if the person THOUGHT it was taken care of decades ago, it can still cost him dearly.

Thats not right IMHO.
    My dad taught me at an early age life is not always fair. Government falls into that catagory! Worrying about it is like banging your head against the wall, it feels so good when you stop!

Life is not a journey to end in a well preserved vessel,
    rather to go in sliding sideways totally used up shouting hell yeah, what a ride

greatrep@comcast.net

YIKES! Thats a lot of penalties.

You think that if they can keep track of it for that long, long enough to charge you penalties, they could find a way to notify you much earlier in the game.......

Not their responsibility to track you down. You were notified when you got the ticket. I would rather have the police department focused on tracking down real bad guys rather than decades old traffic tickets. But the good news is that when they collect on these old tickets they will have more money to track down the bad guys.

With regard to statute of limitations, I am no lawyer, but I beleive the statute of limitations applies to the amount of time between the comission of the crime and when you are actually charged with the crime. Most traffic tickets give you the option to plead guilty and pay by this day or appear in court on that day and plead something other than guilty. Therefore the ticket is formally charging you with a crime and you can either plead guilty the fine or it the ticket is a summons to appear in court on a specific date to plead not guilty. Either way your are formally charged with the crime as witnessed by a police officer. I believe it may be the case that once you are charged with a crime and fail to respond there is no statute of limitations.

And oh by the way with modern computerized systems its no inconvenience for them to carry it on their books. In fact as the computerized links between the DMVs of individual states get better and better the police will actually be able to run a nation wide DMV check from thier patrol car so if you are in New York and have a 20 year old outstanding ticket in Idaho they will know and can arrest you on the spot or they will catch up with you when you renew your license or upgrade your license or your insurance company will ultimately see it when they run a DL record to determine your rate. So it is actually to the advantage inidvidual DMVs to carry these on their books and make this info available to as many states as possible to improve the chances of collecting from deadbeat traffic offenders.

Don't do the crime unless prepared to pay the fine.
    Last edited by VTXCRZR; 02-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

In my buddy's case I think he said he HAD paid the fine back then and thought it was over...he was from out of state.....

That doesnt seem fair....if they can keep track of the penalties and interest for 20 years they should be able to send out a post card to remind you. Plus, we have to renew our DLs every few years...why wouldnt it show up then so it could be taken care of?

This IS the computer age....LOL
    It likely didn't show up until recently because the data was only recently entered into the computer. More and more data goes into the national databases every day. Its just a matter of time until they enter the outstanding standing tickets from 1978 because right now they are busy entering the tickets from 1979.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.