How to clean iridium plugs?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to clean iridium plugs?

Default How to clean iridium plugs?

Any suggestions on cleaning the plugs ( removing carbon ) that won't remove the iridium coating. I know the plugs are supposed to last much longer, but what is the advantage if they carbon up? I have not had much luck using carb cleaner or oven cleaner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

I soaked mine in some Techron overnight then took a very fine wire brush to them.They looked new after that.

2004 1800C, Hard Krome American Classic pipes, HyperCharger-K&N,PC III,Mustang seat,Bobs block off plates,pair mod,Switchblade 2 up,
    200 Metz rear tire..and lots of chrome goodies..

Default plugs

they make a sparkplug cleaner uses air and somekind of dust I have one workes very well. I got mine from the snap-on tool truck. brian

Quote Originally Posted by rebal1967 View Post
    they make a sparkplug cleaner uses air and somekind of dust I have one workes very well. I got mine from the snap-on tool truck. brian
    Harbor freight sells them also. less than $20.00.
    You plug it into an compressor air hose and it sandblast the tips clean.
    (Not sure how good this is for Iridium plugs)

Left plug cleaned.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, and my attitude depends on who you are.

Default Ultra-sonic Cleaner

An ultra-sonic cleaner works well although it weakens the ceramic after several cleanings. Had one crack on me. I suppose if you hang them keeping the ceramic dry that would work better.

Last edited by TLynn; 02-22-2009 at 06:03 PM.

I have the spark plug cleaner that uses the blast media. I just wonder if it or a wire brush removes the iridium plating.

I soak them in brake parts cleaner and use a small brass brush
    Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker

Quote Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
    Thats what i used,the fine brass brush.The Techron seemed to cut the carbon better than the carb cleaner i had.Brake clean is a good idea too...

2004 1800C, Hard Krome American Classic pipes, HyperCharger-K&N,PC III,Mustang seat,Bobs block off plates,pair mod,Switchblade 2 up,
    200 Metz rear tire..and lots of chrome goodies..

When I was having plug fouling problems from carbon buildup, I used Sea Foam to soak the plugs in. I put the plugs in a small jar and only poured enough Sea Foam in to cover the carboned area and let them soak overnight. I then lightly brushed them clean with a bristle parts cleaner brush and blew them out with an air compressor. Cleaned like new.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
    Hi Jon. I cleaned my iridium plugs with brake cleaner and a brass brush about 6 months ago. A couple days later I read an article from one of the iridium plug manufactures that warned not to use any kind of metal brushed on iridium electrodes. Nylon or similar was suggested. It seems that cleaning the electrode with a metal brush can lead to electrode failure and catastrophic engine damage. I don't know if it is true however I replaced the plugs with new ones that day. I wish I could find the article again
    Just found one of the links
    http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/qa/tech/qa_23.html
    Last edited by VTX1800NR; 02-24-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1800NR View Post
    Hi Jon. I cleaned my iridium plugs with brake cleaner and a brass brush about 6 months ago. A couple days later I read an article from one of the iridium plug manufactures that warned not to use any kind of metal brushed on iridium electrodes. Nylon or similar was suggested. It seems that cleaning the electrode with a metal brush can lead to electrode failure and catastrophic engine damage. I don't know if it is true however I replaced the plugs with new ones that day. I wish I could find the article again
    Just found one of the links
    http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/qa/tech/qa_23.html
    Link not working?
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

When mine start looking a little carboned up...............................I hit the freeway and twist the throttle. That is the easiest way to keep um clean............................................. ....Dont baby it, nail it!

Show

"Specializing in Chrome teeth" "Thats 31Ts if you know what I mean!"

Thats right, crank that bike a little, let the plugs heat up. If that doesn't work, then brake cleaner or seafoam and a nylon brush

Quote Originally Posted by NDAna View Post
    Link not working?
    I just clicked the link in my post and your quote of my post. Both worked and brought up the "Denso" question and answer blurb about not using a brass brush. Maybe a browser problem

Easiest way to clean plugs ,run bike like you stole it.And don't copy your hardley friends and "blip" throttle while idling.(they do that to keep there motor from dieing,yuc,yuc!)That only pours gas on an allready rich mix.Don't even look at plugs unless it starts missing ,or you're getting ready for a long trip.If they appear fouled ,Replace! Recently I checked my plugs in prep for a long ride ,and they looked fine .But I run the hell out of mine.The money we're talking about to replace doesn't even get you warmed up at the local watering hole.Get your priorities straight.

Default Pull down the throttle

Read below
    PULL DOWN THE THROTTLE AN LET IT RUN, YOU FEEL LIKE A BULLET OUT OF A GUN.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowTime56 View Post
    When mine start looking a little carboned up...............................I hit the freeway and twist the throttle. That is the easiest way to keep um clean............................................. ....Dont baby it, nail it!

Show
    That's the way NGK say's to clean them.

I was told a while back that putting any kind of brush to a iridium plug was not recommended and ruins the plug. I tried to find that info to c/p but couldn't find it to back it up with a link. Sorry
    M STAR KMA

My bike was one of the first '02s that had all the problems w/plugs fouling. Honda engineers came up to Warren, OH several times to work on it, and it was shipped back to Marysville to have them work on it. When all was said and done, they decided that the proper fix was to go 1 heat range hotter on the plugs on all '02s and early '03s, which has been said on VTXOA several times.
    But I still find that when my wife or son ride my bike allot (they both ride like pansys) that my plugs still foul out. When I'm doing the majority of the riding, they don't foul out. But I'm still wondering if I were to go 1 more heat range hotter if it would be better.

just a random thought

The above links didn't work for me either, but here's the link that does:
    http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...ech/qa_23.html
    The last line is interesting, basically it says only clean the plugs to get you running again better to buy new ones. It could be a sales pitch especially for what most charge for the iridium plugs.
    Last edited by DBoyz; 02-24-2009 at 05:28 PM.

What read into link is,if you are on the road with a fouled plug .And happen to have brought along all your plug cleaning tools .It may kindoff work as a stopgate measure .Relace the plugs

Default irridium plug cleaning

My one range hotter irridium fouled after 20,000 miles of too rich low end. I cleaned em with a plug sandblaster,....gaps were still perfect,....eyeballed em after 5000 miles and re-tuned Powercommander,,.....good to go. Pretty tough plugs.

JC

02 C Darkside 3x 205-65-KH16 26psi
    J.C.

'Life is not measured by the # of breaths we take,.but by the moments that take our breath away'
    02 1800 C Blk, Corbin , Drag Spec Tach, Roadhouse, airbox holes, K&N, heat shield, relocate IAT, desmog, IK-16 plugs, PC III usb, lean SCXriders map, Progressive 440 rear + front springs, 5wt, raised/narrowed foot pegs, 44 mpg, DARKSIDE 205-65-R16 KH-16 28psi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.