Honda VTX Forum banner

Handlebar riser question

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Greg Riddle 
#1 ·
I'm 6'4" and have a 1300 R that I have to hunch a little forward while riding. Cruising around town is no big deal, but I recently went on a few longer trips and after a day or so my back was killing me from being hunched over. I'd like the option of leaning back from time to time and still being able to reach the handlebars.

How hard is it to put risers on (for someone who isn't very mechanical)?
and What size risers would you suggest I look for?

Also, is there a cheap place to look for them?

Thanks,
Aaron

#2 ·
risers

I am not sure what the right size of risers would be best for you because I am 5" 8'. I have a 4 inch riser with an 1.5 inch pullback. I also have a backrest and that set up has worked for me quite well.

As far as your question about cheap ones. I don't think I came across any I would call cheap but there is definitely a price range. As you might guess the ones I found to be nicer looking tend to be the more expensive. If you do a search for risers I think you can find a lot of posts on this topic and probably specific for someone about your height. good luck

#3 ·
Aaron -

Whatever you do, I'd shy away from the risers advertised on some web sites for $50 or so. A quality (read that as good looking, easy to install, well made and SAFE) riser set will come in closer to the $100 range. Some guys have even made their own using Craftsman Sockets and longer bolts, but I'm willing to bet that they might not pass muster in the 'good looks' department.

Check out offerings from HDL/DPL (this sites sponsor) or a local independent motorcycle shop near you. They may be able to hook you up with a nice set of risers at a reasonable price.

#4 ·
I'm 6'4" and have a 1300 R that I have to hunch a little forward while riding. Cruising around town is no big deal, but I recently went on a few longer trips and after a day or so my back was killing me from being hunched over. I'd like the option of leaning back from time to time and still being able to reach the handlebars.

How hard is it to put risers on (for someone who isn't very mechanical)?
and What size risers would you suggest I look for?

Also, is there a cheap place to look for them?

Thanks,
Aaron
Installation of risers is easy if you don't have to mess with redoing cabling.

Go for the Aeromach 4" risers. I'm 5'7" and they give me enough pullback that my shoulder doesn't hurt on a 4 hour ride. And I get to sluch and put my feet up on hiway pegs for a lounge chair like ride.

The aeromachs do not requrie any cabling changes at all.

#5 ·
Let me know what you find and if you need some help I may be able to give you a hand. I would go with either a 4" set or you can even pick up a set of 1800C stock risers for anywhere from $50-$60 shipped that would work as well. Check the classifieds section here and on fleabay. Erik

#6 ·
Great product

Baron Custom Accessories Kickback Risers - Various Models
cruisercustomizing has them

I'm 5' 10" have a Mustang seat with backrest. These are a 4" riser with a
1 1/2" kickback. No cable change needed. Don't know how hard it would be, I have my local MC guy install all my assessories. But I really like them, my arms are relaxed no stretching great control and a good price. :thumbup:

#8 ·
I am 6'5" and was having back problems. I went with the 4" Aeromach risers and I have no problems now. They are easy to install and look great. I would highly recommend them.

#9 ·
did risers last week

I installed risers last week. Had lower back issues with stock seat. Got a little better with my ultimate seat. Put 4" risers with a 3/4" pull back. (Show Chrome Twist risers) Took a little adjusting to having my arms/hands in a different place but... Holy smokes!!! Whole different riding experience this last week.

Only took me about an hour. One suggestion. Get an erasable marker. Make a line on your bars along side your current riser. Measure the mid-point between your current risers on the bar. Then it's an easy - line the marks up with the new risers to center.

Wish I'd gotten risers 2 years ago...

#10 ·
I am 6'5 and installed Skootworks 4 inch risers a few months ago and it makes a difference. I am not very mechanical, however it only took me about 20 minutes to change. Good luck.

#13 ·
risers on 1300 R

Just installed Baron 4" risers on my 2005 1300 R last night. Prior to delivery, I worried all week whether I'd have to remove the triple tree to reroute the cables. Turns out, all the worry was in vain. The risers went on easily.. no rerouting necessary. Look great, and will most likely make longer rides more comfortable. Had to adjust the bars "up" some after the 1st ride. I'm 6'0", about 165 lbs

#14 ·
vtx1300r risers

I am 6'4 and also suffured with shoulder and back ache after a long ride and I am 65. I purchased some 4.5 inch risers on ebay that were made in China for about $40. I was surprised at the quality but did have to buy a kit ($17) to convert from the course thread to the 12mm metric required for the vtx. I also purchased some large stainless steel washers ($1)to go under the risers to insure a good base as the stock risers were recessed and I just didn't feel comfortable with the new risers being too close to the original openings.

#15 ·
If you have access to a leathe and tig welder you could make a set of these, they are safe (the nuts are drilled to slide over 7/8 shaft and welded), look good and comfordable. You may not need a leathe if you can get holes drilled and tapped center. I used all stainless, no rust..

Bicycle fork Bicycle Vehicle Metal

Product Pipe Metal

Bicycle fork Auto part Vehicle Tire Wheel

Vehicle Motor vehicle Chopper Motorcycle Auto part

Scale model Vehicle Lawn Toy Outdoor power equipment

#16 ·
Show Chrome Riser

Just installed some show chrome risers last week. I'm 6'2" and it made all the difference. When I added the mustang seat, it seem to put my riding position back a bit, so these really helped out. Easy install, took only 30 minutes and did not have to redo any cables. They look great too, so extra bonus...:thumbup:

#17 ·
This was my solution

I have a 2006 vtx1300s. I spent a ton of time looking for risers. I ordered baron 6" risers. I waited for 2 months and they were never delivered. I looked for even longer. I finally went to the Honda Dealer. I saw a 2008 Honda Shadow spirit with 6" riseres (oem). they were 90 dollars. I bought them and installed them. They look good and feel great.

The Shadow risers need to be modified to work. The shaft that goes into the tree needs the extra alluminum coolar ground off. Approximately 1/4 tall x 5/16 wide. Grind the collar down to the metal shaft. and flush with under side of riser. Rethread the larger part of the shat with an M12x1.25 die. Cut the shaft to the length of the stock riser. install the on the bike.

The stock throttle cables are long enough if you move them. Move the throttle cables higher in the plastic shroud in front of the gas tank. You also need to buy a longer brake line. I used a 40" + length of ends stainless brake line. I also moved th clutch cable behind the tree. Not neccesary but looks better.

I also reused stock caps, nuts, and bolts.
Attached Thumbnails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.