Heat & JB Weld
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heat & JB Weld

Default Heat & JB Weld

Greetings to all.
    Would the JB weld dry quicker if I apply heat to it? or the heat might slow the drying process?
    Thank you.
    Jamal

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zebian2 View Post
    Greetings to all.
    Would the JB weld dry quicker if I apply heat to it? or the heat might slow the drying process?
    Thank you.
    Jamal
    Just buy some JB Quik
    Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker

I don't think so. I think the heat that is generated durring curing is more of a byproduct of curring and not the cure it's self. JMO
    VTX1800R, C Exhaust, HD Bat wing, Audiovox Cruise Control, Tskiu Hard Bags, Home made hitch, HD Batt Wing and a Good Year 205-60-R16 Tripple tread (Yea that's a Car Tire) and a little'n on the side just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
    Just buy some JB Quik
    +1 on the JB Qwik - it is just that!
    Proud C.R.A.P. Member #29 - 2004 1300c Black, BuBs

"An excellent man, like precious metal, is in every way invariable; A villain, like the beams of a balance, is always varying, upwards and downwards." - John Locke

It' good to know about the JB Quick.
    I'm in the middle of a small project, and I'm using the regular JB, so that is why I'm asking.
    I was not aware of the existing of the JB quick.
    Thank you all.
    Jamal

Washington State, just north of Libtardistan!

Quote Originally Posted by zebian2 View Post
    It' good to know about the JB Quick.
    I'm in the middle of a small project, and I'm using the regular JB, so that is why I'm asking. I was not aware of the existing of the JB quick.
    Thank you all.
    Jamal
    When you get done with your project and you have a mess to clean up I highly recomend Lift-Off No.4 to do the job. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot , it is non toxic and it will clean JB weld from your hands or anywhere you might have inadvertently smeared it! I just installed some aluminum doublers on my Leatherlyke saddle bags to prevent them from cracking. Having the aircraft engineering mindset from 27 years at Boeing I decided to add an adhesive to the doublers even though the instructions did not call for it. I used a Boeing spec adhesive that is very strong but very messy and ended up with goop smeared everywhere. Lift Off cleaned it all up. I think it would also work on cleaning melted shoe soles from hot exhaust pipes too!
    Sons Of Liberty Riders
    We are Freedom Loving Constitutional Road Warriors & Swashbucklers!
    Check out our website: www.sonsoflibertyriders.com

Official F Troop Member!
    05 1800F3, Darkside with too many mods to list!

Usually a moderate amount of heat will increase the speed of set up.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by X-Beast Driver View Post
    When you get done with your project and you have a mess to clean up I highly recomend Lift-Off No.4 to do the job. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot , it is non toxic and it will clean JB weld from your hands or anywhere you might have inadvertently smeared it! I just installed some aluminum doublers on my Leatherlyke saddle bags to prevent them from cracking. Having the aircraft engineering mindset from 27 years at Boeing I decided to add an adhesive to the doublers even though the instructions did not call for it. I used a Boeing spec adhesive that is very strong but very messy and ended up with goop smeared everywhere. Lift Off cleaned it all up. I think it would also work on cleaning melted shoe soles from hot exhaust pipes too!
    Good to know.
    Thank you.
    Jamal

From the JB Weld website:

"DRYING: Allow 4-6 hours for drying before handling. Allow to dry overnight (approximately 15 hours) before putting object to use. J-B WELD works faster if used in a room with a temperature above 50� F. After J-B WELD has cured for six hours, a heat lamp or light bulb placed near the weld will speed drying time."

I didnt have a heat lamp, per se, last time I use JB Weld so I used one of those single halogen work lamps and put it about 6 inches from the project...warmed it right up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.