How to change the spark plugs?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change the spark plugs?

Default How to change the spark plugs?

Hello Experts,

Please let me know how to change the spark plugs. I don't know where they are located to begin with. I tried to pull the chrome (plastic) covers but they are not coming out. I think the spark plugs should be hiding some where behind.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

the chrome covers just sit in a rubber grommet like your side covers do, just pull them out, they pull hard, just be careful not to break the pegs off the plastic.

Just did mine for the first time to.
    Just grab the chrome cover and pull towrds you , they will come right off, when putting back on just line up the 3 mounting points to the bushings
    The plugs are very simple to change also , all you need is a 5/8 plug socket and about a 4' - 6" extension. very straight forward and dont forget to check the gap i used NGK and the gap was all set .035
    Good Luck

06 vtx 1300c red w/hypercharger pro , Kuryakyn lizard lights , cobra tachometer

put a little dab of lithiem grease on each round tab of covers go in easier and come off easier
    Ride free ,always ride defensive as though your invisible to people around you2006 1300R

IMHO if your going to own one of these things you should invest in a manual, god forbid the forum crashes good luck
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

not to high jack the thread but you can get the manual here.

http://www.mdxiles.com/VTX1300_Service_03_04.pdf

it is rather large so it may take a while, but you can save it to your cpu and go to town...

Several helpful hints that I learned years ago before puberty overtook me -

- Go to your local auto supply store and purchase a "special" tool known as spark plug wire pliers - made by K-D or Lisle tools. These allow you to grip the spark plug boot further down on its boot. Give a few mild clockwise-counterclockwise twists of the pliers and the plug wire usually lifts, off reducing the chances of pulling the wire out of the boot and connector. Cost - maybe $20.

- Next, break the spark plugs free with your spark plug socket (and ratchet) and loosen them all about 1 full turn. Crank the engine over several times and you'll hear the compression "putt-putting" past the plugs. What this does is it blows most of the sand, grit and other debris out away from the spark plug holes thereby reducing the chances of anything falling down into the plug hole threads or into the cylinders.

- Next trick is to take a 6” long piece of 3/8" fuel hose. Push the fuel hose firmly over the old spark plugs like they were the spark plug boots being reinstalled. Use the fuel hose to remove the old spark plugs from the cylinder heads. For the new plugs, after straightening the side electrodes, correctly gapping them and wiping a tiny bit of anti-seize compound on the threads, push the same fuel hose over the new plugs. Then use the "flexible extension" to screw the new plug into the head as far as it will go. Doing this for each spark plug greatly eliminates the possibility of cross-threading the steel base of the spark plugs into the aluminum cylinder heads. Lightly snug the new plugs into the heads with a 6” handled 3/8”-drive ratchet. Put a little dab of silicon dielectric grease inside each spark plug wire boot and reinstall on the plugs.

You're done changing your spark plugs.

And yeah, get yourself a VTX1300 Service and Repair manual!!!

Anyone who attempts to do any type of repairs on their vehicle without first thoroughly reading that specific section of the repair manual for their vehicle is asking for troubles. I've been working on cars, trucks, bikes and motorized equipment for 45 years, and I ALWAYS drag out the manual for each vehicle that I'm working on, regardless of how many times I've done the exact same operation.
    Last edited by Madness_MC; 04-28-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    IMHO if your going to own one of these things you should invest in a manual, god forbid the forum crashes good luck
    if the forum crashes. then i guess we would see a lot VTX's on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    put a little dab of lithiem grease on each round tab of covers go in easier and come off easier
    I agree. Not sure what lithiem grease is. I use "Never Seize". It's the silver looking stuff I stole from work. I am sure it acomplishes the same thing as Lithiem though.

2007 1300 Retro, Switchblade, River Road Saddlebags, Honda Sissybar, Aeromach Risers

Quote Originally Posted by SawltyDawg View Post
    I agree. Not sure what lithiem grease is. I use "Never Seize". It's the silver looking stuff I stole from work. I am sure it acomplishes the same thing as Lithiem though.
    I pretty sure he was referring to lithium grease on the chrome cover grommets not the spark plugs. And yes use some anti sieze on the threads of the spark plugs good insurance down the road
    ]

2012 Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400
    2006 VTX 1300C - Gone
    Had Kids
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa (Twin Turbo mod) - Gone
    2001 Honda CBR F4i - Gone
    2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Gone
    2000 Honda RC51 - gone
    2000 HD Fat Boy - Gone
    1997 Suzuki GSX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by SawltyDawg View Post
    Actually, Never Seize when applied to rubber, will break the rubber down in a relatively short time.

To save yourself some grief - you might want to drill some holes in your side covers and spark plug covers and use some safety wire to hold them to your frame. If not, and a little wind gets behind them at road speed and you'll be minus your nice plastic side or spark plug covers. jk

B.T.W - Lithium grease is the white stuff that looks a bit like soft cream cheese in a 1 pound plastic tub. It's available at any auto parts store, WallyWorld, Lowes or Home Depot. Just ask a sale's clerk, they'll point you to it.
    Last edited by Madness_MC; 04-28-2009 at 03:57 PM.

I suggest a little dielectric grease on the inside of the plug boot. seems to help. good luck
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

Quote Originally Posted by Madness_MC View Post
    Actually, Never Seize when applied to rubber, will break the rubber down in a relatively short time.

To save yourself some grief - you might want to drill some holes in your side covers and spark plug covers and use some safety wire to hold them to your frame. If not, and a little wind gets behind them at raod speed and you'll be minus your nice plastic side or spark plug covers. jk

B.T.W - Lithium grease is the white stuff that looks a bit like soft cream cheese in a 1 pound plastic can. It's available at any auto parts store, WallyWorld, Lowes or Home Depot. Just ask a sale's clerk, they'll point you to it.
    I was going to say something until I noticed you were just kidding.

I was also going to add instead of lithium grease use silicone spray
    ]

2012 Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400
    2006 VTX 1300C - Gone
    Had Kids
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa (Twin Turbo mod) - Gone
    2001 Honda CBR F4i - Gone
    2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Gone
    2000 Honda RC51 - gone
    2000 HD Fat Boy - Gone
    1997 Suzuki GSX 1100

best advice IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness_MC View Post
    ...And yeah, get yourself a VTX1300 Service and Repair manual!!!

Anyone who attempts to do any type of repairs on their vehicle without first thoroughly reading that specific section of the repair manual for their vehicle is asking for troubles....
    ...and you also have the like to the manual above

2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic

Total thread hijack here:

Is DC-4 (Dow Corning #4) compound still available. Back when I flew airplanes with spark plugs we used to use that to protect the terminal end from moisture.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.