"silicate free antifreeze"
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "silicate free antifreeze"

Default "silicate free antifreeze"

Is there a list of the different brands of 50/50 antifreeze that are ok to use in our x"s other than the Honda coolant? I've found the list on spark plugs and the oil filters but not the coolant. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Just check the labels on the jugs.
    '03 1800R

Default coolant

I have checked the labels and haven't found any that say one way or the other! There are several that say there safe for all vehicles and aliminum engines but not any that specify say "silicate free"

I have checked the labels and haven't found any that say one way or the other! There are several that say there safe for all vehicles and aliminum engines but not any that specify say "silicate free"
    me too!
    Milkmaster '05 1300R
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Prestone 50/50 is phosphate, silicate and borate free. Available almost everywhere.
    2006 1800S, Robbie Norris Custom Paint, Cobra Speedster Longs, Hypercharger Pro, PowerCommander, Hondaline windshield, Hondaline leather sissy bar and backrest, Mustang Wide-Touring seat w/backrest and passenger pillion, Hondaline leather saddlebags, chrome fork covers, kuryakan flame grips, ISO Boss, chrome control covers, chrome cramkcase cover set, Cobra passenger floorboards, leather tool pouch, Kuryakan light bar w/visors, etc, etc, etc.

Are you looking at generics or something? Because every name brand I've seen says it's silicate free if it is.
    Ex-X-Rider... Now on a Kawasaki Concours 1400! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

I use the Prestone Extended Life. Phosphate/silicate free. I then buy a jug of distilled water and mix 50/50. I have seen the "pre-mixed" on the shelf as well, you pay a premium for that 1/2 gallon of distilled water.
    Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I then buy a jug of distilled water and mix 50/50. I have seen the "pre-mixed" on the shelf as well, you pay a premium for that 1/2 gallon of distilled water.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Roads2Ride View Post
    Prestone 50/50 is phosphate, silicate and borate free. Available almost everywhere.
    +1
    07' VTX 1300 C ,Bub's,

I bought the Dex-cool? I think. It is for GM and says right on it silicate free and for use in aluminum.
    '02 VTX 1800 S

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
    Just check the labels on the jugs.
    HEHEHE he said jugs.

Default dex-cool

dex cool or substitute for dex cool, you're golden. others may work too, but if you go dex-cool route, you can use it for cars and bikes, so just keeps it simple.

+1 on the mix your own. if you can't divide by 2, maybe you shouldn't be doing your own mechanical work.
    2005 VTX 1800R - With bags, soon to be custom painted

Default Coolant

I dont know about a list, but for the same price for 3QTS of coolant at the honda motorcycle dealer. You can get 1 gallon of the honda car coolant type 2 for the same price. Its the same stuff. I used it in my 03 1800c last year when I flushed my system. I put 10k on my bike last year.
    No leaks.
    PS. When I flushed my system I used distilled water.
    Last edited by crazy40; 05-11-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: update
    03 1800c Uranium Green
    Mustang Seat Corba Tach Honda luggage rack/sissy bar D&D Exhaust Custom Made Air Filter
    PFC-30D Profire Coils Rivco Air Horns Scott Performance plug wires Dynojet Power Commander III USB Fish Kickstand Coyote Gas Cap Hinge Paladin Highway Bar LED Radiator Trim Lights LED Brake Light Honda Driveshaft Cover Marlin Clock

Quote Originally Posted by bookem1 View Post
    I bought the Dex-cool? I think. It is for GM and says right on it silicate free and for use in aluminum.
    I don't remember what the stock coolant is but, I have been told by more than one mechanic that mixing the extended life coolant with the green coolant will cause it to gel. You'll want to flush the system out real good with water anyway. If the coolant is silicate free, it will be printed on the jug somewhere. If it isn't printed on the jug, it isn't silicate free.
    There, I said jug twice. That = jugs.
    '03 1800R

Default This needed to be bumped

Lotsa good info on Silicate and Phos free anti freeze
    2004 vtx1800c.

Default This should help

2004 vtx1800c.

I'd be cautious with Dex-Cool. tends to be harder on plastics, gaskets, and such. This was a known problem, I don't know if they fixed the problem or not.

'02 1800C, V&H Big Shots, Kury Corsair intake, DeBadged, Desmogged, PCIII Dyno Tuned, Mustang seat, NDAna
    HID kit, 1300 final.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.