Battery tender is hot?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery tender is hot?

Default Battery tender is hot?

It has been on for about 3 hours and still show a red light. It is very warm to the touch. Am I looking at buying a new battery? It is the stock battery from 2002. The bike starts great, lights look good. Just wondering do battery tenders get pretty warm (hot) almost? Is this the first sign of a battery going away?

Boogie

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

has it been giving you trouble starting in the past? what is the reason for charging it was the bike in storage? the charger will naturally get warm to the touch while charging and so will the battery, if the bike is starting good with no trouble then put it back in...purp
    Magenta Metallic 04/c Snuffleupagus/aka The Grawlix

careful what you wish........you just might get it

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Yes the Tender gets hot after a while. Yes I would replace that battery soon, as you know it is old for a bike battery and it may not give you a warning before it just won't start the bike. You could be a looooong way from home cause it never dies when you're in the driveway.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

My nighthawk battery lastet 2 or 3 seasons consistently for 20 years. Was wondering if sealed bike batteries last any longer?

'02 VTX 1800 C
    Cobra Slash-cuts
    PCIIIUSB
    Hypercharger Pro
    Corbin Young Gun Seat

Mine gets hot as well. As far as charging for long periods,I've noticed if you unplug it and plug it back in the light turns green. Not quite sure why it does this.
    My anger management class pisses me off !!!!!

Ex X rider '02 1800 Retro,'05 1800F
    '06 Goldwing Dark Red

Mine gets pretty warm. I just leave it and the green light comes on. Remember that it is a slow charge rate, especially if you got the Jr.

Mostly, I use it to keep my truck charged. I ride my X most of the time.

If you want to get a new battery you can just go to HDL and order a new factory battery for about $70. I went to e-bay and found an Odyssey battery (PC-545) for $50 plus $11 S&H.

I replaced my battery because it was about 2 1/2 years old and I thought it wasn't starting as well as when it was new. It made a difference! Also, I don't have to worry about that inconvenient battery failure while away from home.
    Be cool, ride safe
    6/21/05 is when I got the best bike I have ever had.
    2005 GL 1800 ABS, Silver
    Smooth as silk! Like Buttah!
    DARK SIDER #0009
    Front: Bridgestone Battlax 130/70H18 @ 35 PSI
    Rear: Dunlop 195/55HR16 3D ROF @ 35 PSI

Hey! Look at MY weather!
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg ... _schoolday

I unplugged it last night before going to bed just to play it safe. Plugged it back in this morning and the red light came on for about 20 sec. then went green. Yep, I better play it safe and just order a new one.

Thanks!

Boogie

There is no harm in leaving Battery Tender on for extended periods of time. It us desigbed to charge batter up to full level and then can be left on to keep it fully charges, Batteries go bad when the bike is in storage or not rode for several weeks. The red liight comes on to let you know when the connection is correct and starts to blink when charging. The green begins to blink when the battery has greater than 80% of its capacity available for use. When the green light stops flashing and burns steady, the battery is fully charged. So do not worry if the Battery Tender feels warm or the green light stays on, it is suppose to. Hope this helps answer your concerns.
    2003 VTX1800R

Be cool, ride safe
    6/21/05 is when I got the best bike I have ever had.
    2005 GL 1800 ABS, Silver
    Smooth as silk! Like Buttah!
    DARK SIDER #0009
    Front: Bridgestone Battlax 130/70H18 @ 35 PSI
    Rear: Dunlop 195/55HR16 3D ROF @ 35 PSI

Hey! Look at MY weather!
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg ... _schoolday

VTXROCKETEER

......about tender here some words......
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31148

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.