oops pulled the spark plug wire out of the boot
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oops pulled the spark plug wire out of the boot

Default oops pulled the spark plug wire out of the boot

I was pulling the spark plug boot off of the spark plug and I slipped and pulled the wire out of the boot.........I pushed it back in hard so I'm hoping it's OK. Is that a problem? Should I replace the wire/boot or would I have to replace the whole harness?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Did the plug connector come off the wire? If not, you should be okay. But, that's based on experience from shade treeing on cars. If the connector pulled off, I'd suggest looking into new wires.

A bad day riding is better than a good day at work!

I pulled mine off last week, If you look inside the boot, there is a pin in there that sticks inside the wire, Just push the wire back in the boot and you should be ok.
    2007 1300R Titanium, Mustang Wide Touring Seat, MS Windshield, Easy Brackets, Vance & Hines Bigshots with Quiet Baffles, Pair Valve Removed. All-Balls Steering Bearings

Try putting a very small amount of Dielectric Grease on the inside lip of the boot and the next time around you shouldn't have any problem gettign the boots off.
    Who gives a damn where he was born, it's where he lives now that's the problem.

Did the same thing about a year ago, all I did was push back together and it is working well. I don't believe that these s/p wires are 'attached' to the boot. As long as you didn't mash up the end of the wire, you should be OK

korbo
    '05 VTX1300C, BadX'd, CTR'd, Natl Cycle 2up, progressive front springs, NEW AVONS and DYNABEEDS(2nd try, Love em both!!!)

I am not sure how the plug wires are assembled on the X. Sounds like a few have pulled them apart and had success just pushing them back into the boot. However, when working with cars and this happens, I found it best in the long run to just replace the wire. Helpful hint when removing the plug wires, or any rubber part from metal, simply twist right and left while pulling to help brake the seal. Comes off a lot easier. Also as mentioned above, some dielectrical grease will keep the plug wires from sticking too.
    Candy red 05 1300C-Sold
    A-10 Thunderbolt paint 03 1800R, PCIII, Reinhardt pipes, Tornado intake, Dyno'd, PAIR mod, ultimateX lowrider seat, ISO grips w/boss, brake away cruise.
    01 Harley Road Glide Screaming Eagle

A lot of bike wires are made different that automotive wires. Many have removable caps that just twist off. So twist it back on the aforementioned pin and all should be good.
    2007 VTX 1300R On Civil Rights: MLK fought to gain them NRA fights to retain them I am the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by bo_mull View Post
    I pulled mine off last week, If you look inside the boot, there is a pin in there that sticks inside the wire, Just push the wire back in the boot and you should be ok.
    This is what I did 20,000 miles ago. Still running on that same wire with no issues.
    "This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.