rattle at 30mph
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rattle at 30mph

Red face rattle at 30mph

i have encountered a rattle at 30 mph on accel or decel or if you hold the speed there only if you are by yourself.. i have tightened all visible bolts that i can see but nothing changes... any ideas? its driving me crazy

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Headlight rattle?

Look it up in the threads Headlight Rattle I think this might be ur problem--maybe the shocks rotate the top cover or get progressive shocks
    Last edited by bigbench400; 06-11-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    BiG BeNcH 400 205

Quote Originally Posted by tazman5157 View Post
    i have encountered a rattle at 30 mph on accel or decel or if you hold the speed there only if you are by yourself.. i have tightened all visible bolts that i can see but nothing changes... any ideas? its driving me crazy
    I've had the EXACT same problem. Never been able to lock it down. Originally I had a rattle in my speedo which I fixed but the 30mph rattle seems to be coming from somewhere in the front of the engine but I cannot find anything loose that would cause the rattle. It only happens at exactly 30mph just a little over or under and it goes away. Very strange.

Old Ride: 2006 VTX1300C
    Current Ride: 2011 Yamaha Stryker

I had a rattle that turned out to be the small silicon rubber grommet that isolates the heat shield needed to be replaced.
    2007 VTX1300C, VTX1800R handlebars, Invicta Motorsports fairing, Cobra highway bar, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Mustang seat, NC Cruiseliner saddlebags, Hondaline heel and toe shifter, DMY trunk, All Balls, Walmart Lights, Veypor VP2 Computer

Default 30 mph rattle

i had the same issue with my xr and as some one said the speedo always rattles on these bikes. fixed that and it was still there so i kept on looking and found it to be the radiator cover at a certain speed, so a black zip tie through the mesh and around the frame fixed that also. these rattles come and go.

Might also check your horn bracket. I had a similar rattle, drove me nuts. Finally found that the horn bracket was vibrating. Tightened it up, all is well. Just a thought.
    2004 VTX1300S

Thanks guys! I'll check these clues out. This thing has drove me nuts for a couple of years. I had to replace one of the rubber gromets on the rear cyclinder pipe about 2 years ago. I will check the front cylinder head as well as the horn bracket and the radiator cover. Thanks for the tips!

Ok, so far no luck in finding the rattle. Weird thing is that rattle disappears when riding with my wife in the back. Can't explain it. If it is just me, I get the 30mph rattle. I hear it when I am decelerating and it hits the 30 mark briefly or if I drive at 30mph, it is a constant rattle. Just not if my wife is on the back.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.