Honda VTX Forum banner

1300 HP Kit on the way

70K views 409 replies 69 participants last post by  jangell 
#1 ·
I posted this in the clasifieds by mistake, but moved it here.

1300 HP Kit on the way
I visit another forum (motorcycle tourers Forum)and found this message about a High compression kit for the 1300 VTX and Fury models to come out this spring.

here is a copy of the thread.

Two time World Champion Metric Bike Builder Jim Giuffra of AFT Customs (http://www.aftcustoms.com ) Has just competed High Compression Kits for the Honda VTX 1300 (all years) Honda FURY (all years ) and the Honda VT750 ACE (all years).
The kit comes COMPLET with High Compression Pistons, Cams and all Gaskets needed to get more HP out of your Honda.
The VTX & FURY kits are $999.95 with your cam core (Call for pricing for less cam core)
The VT750 ACE kits are $ 956.95 with your cam core (Call for pricing for less cam core)
Visit ATF CUSTOMS at the Sacramento Easy Rider Show Jan. 16 & 17 and see Jim�s and the AFT Customs Girls latest build LowLa one bad ass VTX 1300

Jim Giuffra
12370 Martell Rd.
Jackson CA. 95642
209-223-3848

aft@aftcustoms.com

2nd copy (my question):

39254.2 in reply to 39254.1
Sounds interesting. I own a 1300 VTX.
I went to the sight and didn't find any information on the kit.
I might be interested if I had more info. Such as C/R, HP increase, torque in rev range,Dyno chart, POWER IN REV RANGE, etc.
MaxB

3rd message:

Jim has been putting this kit in his VTX customs for several years now he just completed installing a kit in a brand new Fury for Honda America last week. That bike is being broke in and then it will be put on the dyna. Then the official announcement for these kits will be in the spring. So what you have read here is the first anyone has herd about it. I will post more info as I get it form Jim �I can tell you that the C/ R for the VTX & Fury is 11:1 and the HP increase in around 20hp�.

MaxB (who is interested but knows no more than this)

05 vtx1300S with farkles added
Last edited by MaxBruce; 1 Minute Ago at 06:05 PM.

See less See more
#278 ·
Not that anyone would need an extra set :dontknow:, just that it gives the opportunity to see if some minor work can be done inside the ports before tearing down from a ride-able condition. I figure the heads will be here at least 1 to 2 weeks before the HP kit gets here.
I sent cams in, so I'm still riding!
Besides all that, I got the heads and another set of cams, shipped for $80. Too cheap to pass up, even if they turn out to be shop ornaments :mrgreen:
We'll see what I get, but the pics looked good, as far as what you can see from pics 8)

#279 ·
Not that anyone would need an extra set :dontknow:, just that it gives the opportunity to see if some minor work can be done inside the ports before tearing down from a ride-able condition. I figure the heads will be here at least 1 to 2 weeks before the HP kit gets here.
I sent cams in, so I'm still riding!
Besides all that, I got the heads and another set of cams, shipped for $80. Too cheap to pass up, even if they turn out to be shop ornaments :mrgreen:
We'll see what I get, but the pics looked good, as far as what you can see from pics 8)
Dibs on your heads after the changeout.

#286 ·
It's a good thing one of those "hotbox" peoples don't come here often, they might just take you up on the "lanolin & nipple rubbin" offer, might even give you a reach around! nojoke
Hick has first dibs on my heads, provided that these other heads work out OK
I will have 2 sets of cam cores after this is all said and done, if they both turn out to be work-able!
I gotta make some phone calls. While looking back at the time frame of this thread, the HP kit should be getting here soon. I been losing track of time too much here lately. :oops: :banghead:
I'm also going back to the drawing board on the intake I started last year! I got some nifty ideas :arrow:..................................................... :yikes:

#288 ·
I spoke with Jim at AFT and he told me my kit shipped out 2 days ago. Should be at my house on Monday March 29th. Doesnt me no good though. Over the past week our date to leave Afghanistan has been pushed back 4 days. So instead of me being home by the 29th/30th it probably won't be until around Easter weekend.

Oh well, at least my kit will be waiting on me when I get home. :thumbup:

I will also have a set of cams for sale if anyone wants to do this kit.

#289 ·
I am home, been home for a bit now, and am picking my bike up Thursday from my buddies shop. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning to get here. Not only can I not wait to get my bike back, it's been beautiful weather here the past week, but I can't wait to see how she performs now. I know it isn't going to be white knuckle hold on for your life fast but it will be nice to get a noticeable amount of oompf out of it.

#290 ·
Cool JoJo!
Glad you're back home safe, Bubba
Let us know how "the kit" worked out for you................................soon.
Like hurry already!
I also got "the kit" laying in my basement floor just waiting to be installed.
I would like to take my bike to the local HD shop (my wife has good connections there) and have them run some dyno numbers on it before I tear it down, just to satisfy my "before and after curiosity". I been having some increased difficulty with my lower back, so it may be a while before I tackel this project. I don't feel comfortable trying to pull the engine by myslf without causing damage to it and myself.
Its been 2 1/2 years since I had the initial tuning done with dyno numbers and a lot has changed since then. By all indications, the numbers I had then are probably not applicable now.
Any chance you had Dyno done for a before and after comparision?
Congrats Bud, Let the testing begin. :doorag: :congrats: :firstplace: :bowdown:

#292 ·
I am home, been home for a bit now, and am picking my bike up Thursday from my buddies shop. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning to get here. Not only can I not wait to get my bike back, it's been beautiful weather here the past week, but I can't wait to see how she performs now. I know it isn't going to be white knuckle hold on for your life fast but it will be nice to get a noticeable amount of oompf out of it.

welcome home,

I cant wait to hear how it runs

#295 ·
Unfortunately I didn't do a pre dyno. It was a pretty chaotic time for me and I didn't specify that that was something that I wanted done. They will be doing a dyno run at the completion of the installation.

My setup is a BAK, HK 3's, 1800 final, FP 220 Main, 58 Slow. So if anyone has a setup like that and has had it dyno'd we can use those ballpark figures.

#296 ·
Unfortunately I didn't do a pre dyno. It was a pretty chaotic time for me and I didn't specify that that was something that I wanted done. They will be doing a dyno run at the completion of the installation.

My setup is a BAK, HK 3's, 1800 final, FP 220 Main, 58 Slow. So if anyone has a setup like that and has had it dyno'd we can use those ballpark figures.
Cool...can't wait to read the results and get an in-depth review from you. 8)

#297 ·
JoJo
Was the 220 main what you were running before the kit install?
I'm interested in the "estimated" increase in main jet size. I'm gonna guess at least 1 size on the main.
I'm gonna touch base with Jim at AFT and see what, on average, he's been using as a (main jet) final carb setup, after the install. It would be real nice if we had a real close setup to start with, so as to decrease the possibility of running too hot at the beginning of the ring breakin.

#298 ·
1300 hp kit

What you will not need is more gas. This is a compression increase not a volume increase. More fuel could actually cost some power. More isn't always better when it comes to gas. I would stay with the present jet size of 220 or possibly smaller to a 215 jet. Personally cv type carburetors have never been high on my list for hp. I have always liked manually adjustable carbs. like Bendix/Zenith with adjustable main jets. The only problem to be overcome with one of them would be the throttle position sensor that Honda has worked into their spark advance system. In the wind.

Pops

#299 ·
Just for reference, I've got an appointment Friday for a Dyno run to get some documented numbers before the install.
$50 ain't a bad price for HP, Torque and Air/Fuel documentation and thats at the HD Dealership.

#300 ·
Just for reference, I've got an appointment Friday for a Dyno run to get some documented numbers before the install.
$50 ain't a bad price for HP, Torque and Air/Fuel documentation and thats at the HD Dealership.
That's what I paid several years ago for three pulls on the dyno...not a bad price for the HD shop.

#301 ·
:oops: :cry: :shock: :( :? :mad: :confused: :evil: :twisted: :yikes: :dontknow: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Disappointing day at the Dyno Friday
Pissed is an understatement with the best of 3 pulls being:
57.71 Max H.P. 76.47 Max Torque (Run Conditions: 73.39* F, 28.71 in-Hg, Humidity 31%, SAE: 1.03)
What really bugs me is the air/fuel ratio, "at best" was just slightly above 12:1 @ 3,500 to 4,500 RPMs, then back off the chart (below 10:1) at 5,100 RPMs. It was also off the chart between 2,600 to 2,900 RPM (below 10:1)
I changed out the jets that came with the Kury ProR for the Factory Pro Stage 3 kit last year. It was cold as blue blazes outside, and NOT a good time to be tuning an engine (averaging about 30 to 35 degrees, daily)
I used the recommended setup for the K2s and the ProR (for the area closest to me with same pipes and intake, with exception to the Michael's Resonaters) and the bike ran better than before along with better milage.
Plugs looked good at the time I did this.
It had rained Friday a.m., but I had the intake covered with a double plastic bag to keep the rain from saturating the air filter.
The operator says NO WAY I was getting over 32 to 35 miles per gallon running that rich. :dontknow: The last few times I checked my mileage, I was getting 40+ with this setup.(175 miles indicated, so I guess around 160 MPG and still not on reserve)
It has been running good, so I thought, no noticed hesitation on acceleration and better mileage than before. Obviously need to drop main jet size, just to start with.
Now, my dilemma is, do I get the jetting right before I tear it down for the kit install.................or NOT. No accurate before and after comparison can be made (with the kit), with the jetting as bad as it is right now. Anybody have a guess as to how much HP is lost with jetting this rich???
The kit will require a bit more fuel, which means that I would have to do it all over again when the install is done.
Pissed in TN :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.