Xtreme Revolution Ultra Fairing and Klock Werks Windshield Review
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xtreme Revolution Ultra Fairing and Klock Werks Windshield Review

Default Xtreme Revolution Ultra Fairing and Klock Werks Windshield Review

Several months ago I got the bug to put a bat wing style fairing on my 05 1800F. The though of more protection and tunes on long road trips had me going. I had not seen any other F model VTX's with this type of fairing so I went searching around the VTXOA and other Internet sites to get more information on what's out there. Thanks to all who passed on information and pictures.

I though I would take a few minutes and put together some information and post some pictures of my experience for other that may be looking to jump into a similar project.

------------

After looking at all the available bat wing after market style fairing out there I desided to go with the Xtreme Revolution Ultimate VTX fairing. Price and style were the key reasons.

I ordered my Xtreme Revolution Ultra VTX fairing (ABS Plastic) and received it in a reasonable time frame. When I opened the box I noticed it had a large repair in the center of the fairing covered in light gray primer. I call the Xtreme Revolution group about it the next day and they said it was normal and was from the mold that was used...? They did a very poor job of fixing this imperfection in my option. In hind sight I should have sent it back at that point.

Out of the Box

The next day while fitting the XR fairing up to the VTX I quickly realized that Honda used a different headlight on the F models. I had large gaps on each side of my headlight. All the pictures I had seen showed a nice flush finish around the headlight. The Xtreme Revolution VTX fairing is made to fit the standard VTX headlight and not the F model headlight.

Not the fit I was looking for..

I called the Xtreme Revolution folks again and explained, then sent them pictures and measurements of the two different style head lights and they thought I was crazy and though I had a odd messed up VTX. I received an email the next day from them apologizing and they offered me a full refund. Odd that after selling this fairing for several years they would not know this. In hind sight I should have sent it back. I decided to keep the fairing and work with the issues at hand.

F Style

Standard VTX Style

In fitting up the Xtreme Revolution VTX fairing to my 1800F it started to became apparent that the fairing sits lower on the front of the VTX compared to similar bat wing fairing on an FLHX Street Glide/Electro Glide etc. In order to get the wind protection I was looking for I decided to raise the Xtreme Revolution fairing by 2 inches.

Stock Fitting -

One of the things I most liked about the XR fairing was the fact it was molded around the (standard) VTX headlight. If I raise the fairing I must now raise the headlight and all the headlight and fairing mounting hardware etc plus modify the XR fairing to fit the F model headlight. So the project starts.

Created a modified headlight mount.- Modified vs Standard

Modified XR Fairing to fit a F Style Headlight (with fiberglass and millfiber resin)

Getting Close

Since the stock XR Ultra fairing did not fit the my F style headlight I had to create a fiberglass insert to fit the headlight and blend into the existing fairing hole. As usual, this took much longer than I had planned, but I am happy with the results

Painting
    I used a urathain primer with a two part paint (RM Diemont - Billet Metallic Silver and Clear Coat) Wet sanded and buffed to a nice shine.

Sound
    I when with a Alpine IDA-X200 Receiver. This unit is fully IPOD and USB thumb drive compatible. With a combo of Polk and Sony speakers. I also added a 12 volt adaptor to power my Garmin GPS etc if needed. (GPS plays through FM stereo giving turn by turn directions while you ride - Nice!)

I also did the sound port mod. It helped improve the sound quality somewhat.

Issue to note: The bottom speaker ports on the XR fairing are not as deep as the top speaker ports. If you want to install speakers with a full (marine) speakers with full size magnet in the bottom speaker holes you must use spacers to extend the speaker to make room for the magnets. By moving the bottom speakers out with spacers to make the required room for the speakers you may now have issues with the bottom speaker/grills hitting the gas tank when at full lean angle. (dents in tank)

Conclusion
    In conclusion I think the XR Ultra fairing is a good product and value. Mine was a bit rougher shape out of the box than I feel it should have been. You will have to prep and paint this fairing along with hours of mounting and running electrical and speaker wires etc. It is not a quick bolt on option. Plan on many hours or pay someone to do it for you.

Klock Werks Shield Review
    IMO. Buy it for the looks and not the performance!
    Because the XR Ultra fairing sits somewhat low on the VTX you may be forced to use a taller windshield (compared to other similar bike/fairings) if you want full face protection or close to it. I am approx 6 foot tall and after rising my XR fairing approx 2 inches the standard 7 inch straight shield would put highway (65 mph) wind right in my forehead. With the Klock Werks shield it now hits me approx one inch higher on my forehead. Not a great improvement for the money.

Before

After

The info I had seen online for the Klock Werks shield claims it to add several inches of added protection and push the air around you. I have tested it on a 1200 mile/5 day trip with rain and shine. I like the stylish look of the shield but the advertised performance is not there.

Thinking it may be my bike and or setup I swapped shields for the afternoon with a friend riding a HD Street Glide. He said he could only notice a slight difference using the Klock Werks shield.
    Oddly you can only get this shield in either a 3.5 in, 6.5 in or 10.5 in. If they made a 8.5 in I think it would do the trick for me. You can pick up a 6.5 inch shield up on eBay for $150.00 (fast free shipping -http://stores.shop.ebay.com/JTS-CYCLE-PARTS)

Still looking at the Clearview and CeeBaily's SSC shields...

Shiner
    Last edited by Shiner; 11-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    1800F Silver Tribal - Thornton CO

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Similar path almost to the finish, except the Klockwerks I'm gunning for is 10.5" in height. I have 3 windshields of various heights and have come to conclude the taller 10.5" will be optimum...

I have a 15.5" and it really blocks all wind and the wife loves it. But, it makes my X look like a Buick so it's off the bike more often than on..

Shiner, you said you had mixed Sony with Polk? Does the Sony add base?
    I have all Polk and they lack a bit in the base area.

I also had no idea headlights varied on the X.

Looks Good,

Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by dirtstiff's X; 08-05-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    2005 VTX1800R Spec 2 Titanium Pearl
    2013 F6B Deluxe - Black - http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=106
    RIP JDJ / You will be missed brother, but never forgotten

No the Sony (3 way) speakers do not add much addional base. The Polk's tend to sound better and have more range. I too would like more base but with 5.25 in speakers that may be asking allot.

Shiner

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Nice writeup Shiner, thanks for posting!
    "Oh, bother", said Pooh as the tripwire clicked...

Sunset Red '12 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Stage 1 Bassani Mufflers

Re-Homed With hunter2379
    : Black '03 VTX 1800 Retro Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags Tsukayu Fairing Old Inc Classic Tour Pack Roadhouse Classics 2-1 Show Chrome guards Rivco Risers Rivco Passenger boards Darkside Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60R16 1300 final JTD Lowers Cobra Lightbar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    Issue to note: The bottom speaker ports on the XR fairing are not as deep as the top speaker ports. If you want to install speakers with a full (marine) speakers with full size magnet in the bottom speaker holes you must use spacers to extend the speaker to make room for the magnets. By moving the bottom speakers out with spacers to make the required room for the speakers you may now have issues with the bottom speaker/grills hitting the gas tank when at full lean angle. (dents in tank)
    Very nice write-up...I'll be doing the same write-up when I add the XR Ultra Fairing to my 1300. So did you add the extra spacers to your lower speakers or not?

Shiner how did you mount the fairing to the X? Do you have picts?
    Thanks
    Dave
    05 1800N Black Go Fast BUT don't get in a hurry
    Are you a whosoever? <><
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
    So did you add the extra spacers to your lower speakers or not?

No I did not add spacers to the lower speakers. If I had they would have hit the tank at full turn angles for sure. I went with smaller speakers/ magnets that did not require spacers.

Thanks

Shiner

Dave 13,
    I work on several different mounting methods and ended up with the one below for now. I made some simple extended support brackets for the top that extend out a bit farther forward and upward to allow the fairing being raised.

Upper Mount

On the lower (difficult to see) I used approx 21 washers between the headlight bracket (bottom) and the standard XR supplied mounting arm (above). Using the washers allowed me to add or replace small amounts of fairing lift to get fairing headlight fit just right. Tack welding the washers on the back side help keep them very strong. I of course had to use an extended headlight mounting bolt (approx 2.5 inches longer)

Now that I am happy with the height and fit I am working on a more permanent upper and lower bracket with the same specs.

Lower Mount

Shiner
    Last edited by Shiner; 08-15-2009 at 02:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.