How do I remove Vance and Hines Baffles
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I remove Vance and Hines Baffles

Default How do I remove Vance and Hines Baffles

I tried to remove the quiet baffles in my Vance and Hines big shots last night with no success. Heat shields are off and allen screw is out. They will move back about and inch and then no more. How about a slide hammer or other means of removal? Any help would be appreciated.
    Silver 2003 VTX1800 RS
    Burgandy 2008 Suzuki C109

Revtek DFO,Vance and Hines big shots,Thunder Hurricane intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

slide hammer is one way ...

but if you can get them out about an inch, try sliding a wood dowel
    of the same diameter inside the baffle so you can get locking pliers
    on the baffle without crimping it and try turning it ... then pull, then
    turn ... what you are fighting in there is rust and soot which tends
    to 'weld' them buggers in tight ...
    2005 VTX 1800 F3 (Canada)

I also had to make a slide hammer to get my old one out.

Spray them down with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench for a while. Take a metal rod and bend one end in a vice approx. 1". Slide the bent end into the baffle and try to "hook" it on the perferations and pull it out. Probably will take several tries because they tend to get stuck tight.

how much louder will that make them.....didnt know you could do that...i might have to do it now myself.....dang im learning alot on this site gettin a head ache

05 vtx1300c

Quote Originally Posted by BartowBiker View Post
    how much louder will that make them.....didnt know you could do that...i might have to do it now myself.....dang im learning alot on this site gettin a head ache
    Loud enough to get you a ticket if you are in the wrong area....and that is the way I like it!!!!

I bought my big shots new is it safe to assume that they all ship with quiet baffles?
    V&H Bigshots, Fatty Bars, Big Baron Air Kit, Memphis Shades, Big Bike Lightbar, Bad X seat mod, ISO Grips, NEO Backrest, Desmog

Default removing baffles V&H

Don't forget when removing these baffles you will loose a little hp & torque. It may sound better to you but a dyno will prove the performance loss. The built in crossover isn't enough back pressure. Just a proven thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JEC1800N View Post
    I bought my big shots new is it safe to assume that they all ship with quiet baffles?

No. The C/F models ship with other baffles and you have to buy the quiet ones.

It looks like you have a N model - those would have the quiet baffles.
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama

I'm really removing the baffles to see if I still get an annoying rattle at idle. Just installed the pipes and was getting this intermittent rattle. Removed heat shields and still a rattle. Baffles are very tight. Maybe I can get the baffles out and make the bike so loud I can't hear the rattle.
    Silver 2003 VTX1800 RS

Rented a slide hammer to remove the baffles. Still getting an intermittent rattling noise @ idle. Not sure what to look at next. Some kind of funky harmonics thing going on. On a positive note this thing really talks without baffles?
    Silver 2003 VTX1800 RS

Quote Originally Posted by JEC1800N View Post
    They come with the "regular" baffle, which is not the quiet baffle. You don't want to run those pipes w no baffle as you will lose all your low end torque and they will be way too loud.
    V/H Bigshots, Pwr. Cmdr, Honda w.s., Clearview replacement Lexan (2 inches wider), HID 50 watt kit, Honda light bar, U. S. Saddlebags, Ultimate Big Boy seat, rider backrest, Ultimate passenger seat, Cobra Fat Engine guard with Kuryakin Highway pegs, Cobra chrome license plate mount, Barons Big Air Kit, Kisan Signal Minder, LED rear brake and signal lights, desmog.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clouser View Post
    Rented a slide hammer to remove the baffles. Still getting an intermittent rattling noise @ idle. Not sure what to look at next. Some kind of funky harmonics thing going on. On a positive note this thing really talks without baffles?
    Check the right floor board where the heat shield makes an elbow. I think you will find the heat shield touching the inside bracket that holds the floor board. I had to shim mine out with one washer to give enough clearance. Rattle gone.
    V/H Bigshots, Pwr. Cmdr, Honda w.s., Clearview replacement Lexan (2 inches wider), HID 50 watt kit, Honda light bar, U. S. Saddlebags, Ultimate Big Boy seat, rider backrest, Ultimate passenger seat, Cobra Fat Engine guard with Kuryakin Highway pegs, Cobra chrome license plate mount, Barons Big Air Kit, Kisan Signal Minder, LED rear brake and signal lights, desmog.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

You may also have had a band clamp bracket snap off the heat shield

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clouser View Post
    I tried to remove the quiet baffles in my Vance and Hines big shots last night with no success. Heat shields are off and allen screw is out. They will move back about and inch and then no more. How about a slide hammer or other means of removal? Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is the packing is jambing in between the baffle front collar and the pipes. When you get the baffles out reverse the front collar and weld it back in place, then you should not have much trouble removing the baffles in the future.

As someone suggested spray heavy with WD40 or some other spray lubricant. Be sure to clean the inside of the pipes real good before re-installing the baffles. I use a 2" brass wire brush in a 12" electric drill extension. After brushing, start the bike and rev it up a little to blow the pipes clean.
    All that is needed for the evil to succeed is for the decent human beings to do nothing.

Darkside Bridgestone Potenza G019 grid 205/60/16 V-rated, 2002 VTX1800C with a bunch of extra crap it probably doesn't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    You may also have had a band clamp bracket snap off the heat shield
    OMG, please don't even mention this or my freakin piece of crap Vance and Hines may break another one of these. Vance and Hines replaced both my shields quite some time ago, they continue to break so I have them welded now, the marks show a bit, but I found a good welder that doesn't leave much of a mark. I have another one right now that just went, so off they come again. I'm so sick of this ****.

I really want the pipes that vtxbronco has on his bike, he said they were Cobras, but I can't find them at HDL damnit. His bike looks like an 1800 R so I'm guessing they'd fit mine too.

These are his, anybody know what they're called?

Overtime pays more because of what you're missing...money isn't everything!

Cobra Speedster Slashdowns is what they are called. On HDL for the R/N model

Cobra 2 1/2" Angled Slashcut Exhaust for 1800C

I think the nice curve is the early version that is now more like the R/N model above?
    -Richard
    05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
    I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
    DS -01/06/07

The top model doesn't look good IMHO, the bottom version is absolutely beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by nodakbassmaster View Post
    Cobra Speedster Slashdowns is what they are called. On HDL for the R/N model

Cobra 2 1/2" Angled Slashcut Exhaust for 1800C

I think the nice curve is the early version that is now more like the R/N model above?

www.cobrausa.com

What you got is for 2 different model VTX's. C models that have the nice curve is called "Angled Slashcut"
    http://cobrausa.com/exhaust_detail.p...2&product_id=1&
    They don;t make that for the R/N

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

www.cobrausa.com

What you got is for 2 different model VTX's. C models that have the nice curve is called "Angled Slashcut"
    http://cobrausa.com/exhaust_detail.p...2&product_id=1&
    They don;t make that for the R/N
    that's what I thought, but then vtxbronco looks to have a retro with the nice looking pipes. Or did he put different tins on his C?

No, he just put C pipes on his R. You would need to get a C bracket and you might have to cut/grind some of the floorboard mount to give way for the heat shield a little

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

No, he just put C pipes on his R. You would need to get a C bracket and you might have to cut/grind some of the floorboard mount to give way for the heat shield a little
    Hmmm, I may have to contact him for more info, I really really really love those pipes.

Thanks Spike!

No problem

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Default wanted to try vance and hines short shots without baffles and figured they were stu

So figuting 4d40 might try to burn or something i sprayed a mixture of dish soap and water up in there. Next day stripped on baffle screw of course as everything on this scooter is tightened to 10000 foot pounds got the screw out and the baffles were stuck vance and hines short shots on 02 dyna lowrider. Buddy suggested slide hammer but without a zecond thought i got that old bar bell bar ive been trippin over for 9 years and sure enough the threads on that bar very closely match the threads in the baffle louvers!!! Thread it in wiggl waggle and out come the baffles with no hammering pounding heating or other!!!!! If you still need the slide hammer effect slip a 20 pound weight first and use that!!!!!! Glad i could get this tip out there. Its my first harley but not my first repair rodeo! Loooool

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.