Honda VTX Forum banner

Saddlebag Opinions

1K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  TexasRed 
G
#1 ·
I just made these saddlebags & I want some opinions about them :dontknow:. They measure 15" T x 21" L x 8" W.They are made of 9/10 oz. drum dyed black latigo leather. I used ABS plastic for the front & back panels & used 1/8" plastic in the gussets & on the underside of the top flaps. So these bags will not loose their shape if they get wet. They are completely leather covered all around including the backside. The leather is glued & hand sewn to the ABS plastic. There are 6 stitching holes per inch. I drilled the stitching holes in the front & back panels & hand stabbed all the holes in the gussets & top flaps with an awl. These bags are hand sewn with waxed thread to help protect from rot. This took quite a bit of time & alot of sore fingers & hands from pulling the thread tight:yikes: :banghead:. I also made 2 aluminum frame pcs.for the top openings & 2 for support on the bottom of the bags & riveted ABS plastic to the 2 pcs for the bottom. 1 1/2" stainless steel conchos & 2 1/4" buckles are also stainless steel along with 1 3/4" billet straps. Quick release buckles are behind the billet straps out of sight. The frame pcs. & the buckles are attached with Chicago screws instead of rivets for the nice shiny look & ease of changing the buckles if the need arose. I mounted these bags to my scoot with regular Honda R model saddlebag brackets that I bought off another member on here. Sorry the pictures suck but these were the only pics. I could get to load on here.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! Those are beautiful! :agree:I WISH I could do something like that! Great job:thumbup:

#5 ·
Those are beautiful! The size is perfect for a big bike like the VTX also.

#6 ·
Nice :bowdown: That's a good way to be sure you get what you want...make them yourself! Really look good on the bike. Only wish I had the talent to do this...

#7 ·
Much Obliged,TR. You see anywhere I could improve them?
There is one thing that would improve them .They would look better on my bike and I will be glad to ride them around and take pics for you so you can show them off in thier full glory.
nice job !!

#9 ·
Good looking bags. As long as you are looking for suggestions......The covers/flaps would look like they fit better if the ends were tapered down to provide a more watertight fit. I would also have slanted the bags.

Of course, if they look good to you, that is all that matters. Heck of a talent you have! :congrats:

G
#11 ·
bags

I kinda wanted an old school look. I just wanted something different. So this is what I cam up with. I wish I could get all the pics. on here for ya'll to see. They are definantley different than most you will see. TR

#12 ·
I kinda wanted an old school look. I just wanted something different. So this is what I cam up with. I wish I could get all the pics. on here for ya'll to see. They are definantley different than most you will see. TR
Fine job TR! WOW What a talent! However, I do have a suggestion on the bags......let me try em out a while to see if I like them!! :lol::lol:

#13 ·
Those look great + way beyond my talent level, but, it looks like they'd collect water in a rainstorm. I kinda like the the bags that open from the back + hinge in the front. Fast easy access + pretty much weather resistant. Again, very nice work.

#16 ·
I really like them. Great job!! The only thing I would change is to shorten the straps a bit. They look really long. That'll clean them up a bit I think and give the bag a more finished look.

#18 ·
Simply amazing! Those are some fine saddlebags and craftsmanship. They look fine, but I agree they would look better on my bike!:D

It looks like there's a good amount of overlap in the last pic so I guessing riding in the rain is ok? So have you had a chance to wet check them yet, and if so how do they hold up?

G
#22 ·
Good looking bags. As long as you are looking for suggestions......The covers/flaps would look like they fit better if the ends were tapered down to provide a more watertight fit. I would also have slanted the bags.

Of course, if they look good to you, that is all that matters. Heck of a talent you have! :congrats:
:agree: except that I like the look of bags that aren't slanted. And like someone else said, shorten the straps. Other that that, they look fantastic. :thumbup:

G
#23 ·
Those look great + way beyond my talent level, but, it looks like they'd collect water in a rainstorm. I kinda like the the bags that open from the back + hinge in the front. Fast easy access + pretty much weather resistant. Again, very nice work.
I have a end flap under the top flap that is lined with the plastic on both ends of the opening. It pushes up against the top flap so it is not just open under the flap. I could also sew a zippered flap in there if need be to close it all off.

G
#24 ·
I really like them. Great job!! The only thing I would change is to shorten the straps a bit. They look really long. That'll clean them up a bit I think and give the bag a more finished look.

Well I had an idea on the long straps that if I was carrying a coat, bed roll or whatever, I could use the longerstraps for a straping down purpose. I could put the coat, bed roll or whatever under the top flap & use the longer straps just like you use a belt to hold down whatever I laid across the top of the bags lengthwise under the top flap. That way it would be adjustable & not just having the use of the quick release buckles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.