Rocket III vs. VTX 1800
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocket III vs. VTX 1800

Default Rocket III vs. VTX 1800

My second VTX in 3 years was totalled 9/14 by a careless driver in a panel van who made an illegal lane change... right into me. I am beginning to look at buying a replacement and have narrowed the field to either a used VTX or a used 2005-2007 Triumph Rocket III. I know that there are several members here that have or have had both machines and I'm wondering what the relative merits and dismerits are when comparing one to the other. I have ridden the Rocket and was quite impressed by its smooth power, good handling and comfy suspension. For me another bonus is that riders of both bikes who have tried them have generally been very pleased with CTs on the rear. Please do not use that last comment to pervert this thread into a CT vs. MT debate. It's a matter of individual choice, IMO! Thanks.
    Anything is possible, particularly if you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

My son and I test rode a 2005 Rocket III last Wednesday evening. We were very impressed with the power from any starting speed and/or RPM. It dusted my X every time. Like you said, smooth ride on that 240 rear tire. The 2nd gear wheelie was not expected but settled back down nicely.

Phillip had been considering an X after riding mine some. He cut a deal for the Rocket after the test ride. They were going to meet at the bank on Friday afternoon. But ... the seller hit a deer on the way back to his house! He rode it out with out going down. The Rocket needs about $3,000 in parts and labor now.

Phillip is looking for another Rocket III now. And I am not trying to change his mind.

From my point of view you have a hard choice to make. I hope to have one of each in my stable soon!

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss. "
    Ironhorse1800, 2004 1800N, Inmate #37314

Pittsburgh, Pa. U.S. Navy Retired (22yos), 99 Valkyrie I/S (02 VTX1800 - Sold 2011) )

I would think personal preference would come into play here. But, if it's an either or situation for ya, I would think the used VTX would be a great availability and deal..... buyers market so they say. And coming to the end of the season where some might be making better deals......

I personally think the VTX Retro or Neo Retros look nice of course, and am not a fan of the C or F (it depends on your tastes). The Rocket III is not attractive to me at all..... (without saying FUGLY).... however, the R3T is growing on me probably because it appears somewhat similar to the Valkyrie Interstate. I just wish the Rocket looked the same on both sides..... but that is my opinion. Just as what you choose to ride is yours..... Good luck.
    John

You will absolutely LOVE the Triumph Rocket, if you decide to go that way.

As you have previously remarked above; you have sensed her.

I have had my Rocket 3 (2008 Classic) for a couple of months now, and can make a good comparison between it at the 2007 1300R that I still own (and will continue to keep) - (though I know that you asked for a comparison between and 1800 and a Rocket).

You will find that you ride slightly higher on a Rocket, as opposed to a VTX; just have to look at the floorboards and seat height in the dip of the saddle.

The Rocket has more "girth" as opposed to the VTX. Sitting on the Rocket is akin to sitting on top of a Brahma bull's back. No chit

It is rumored that Rockets eat up rear rubber much more quickly than the VTX; which is probably due to more anticipated "twist of the throttle" activity directly rewarded by the power plant which lives within it. When my time comes. I am going to have a car tire installed; I never thought I would do this on a motorcycle but my style of riding and the current 240 that is sitting in the rim of my Rocket is a "no brainer" to me. It needs to be done. Good reviews that I have seen from other Captains that command Rockets with car tires.

I do hope that you are satisfied in whatever you decide on, for your new ride. I sincerely offer to you, that if you decide to own a Rocket III; a new awareness will open to you concerning power and motorcycling.

I still have my VTX. I enjoy it immensely.

However....

... The Rocket III absolutely beats every motorcycle that I have ridden "hands down".

Kindest regards,

-Will
    Last edited by willtill; 09-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    2007 VTX1300R (gone, miss it but not cleaning the the chrome...)
    2008 VStrom DL-650 (gone, miss it....)
    2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic with Carpenter Racing 240hp package
    2011 Victory Vision Tourer
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

and most definitely....

Install a ***HEADLIGHT MODULATOR*** on your replacement bike; whatever you decide upon.

Believe me, your third bike will be a "keeper" because of the modulator....

Kindest regards,

-Will
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

OMG compadre
    I'm glad you are O.K. so the blue one is gone? along with P4?! That's sad!!! How's a brand new VTX for $8K.
    Whatever you are to choose, stay safe and many more miles!

Quote Originally Posted by XHombre View Post
    My second VTX in 3 years was totalled 9/14 by a careless driver in a panel van who made an illegal lane change... right into me. I am beginning to look at buying a replacement and have narrowed the field to either a used VTX or a used 2005-2007 Triumph Rocket III. I know that there are several members here that have or have had both machines and I'm wondering what the relative merits and dismerits are when comparing one to the other. I have ridden the Rocket and was quite impressed by its smooth power, good handling and comfy suspension. For me another bonus is that riders of both bikes who have tried them have generally been very pleased with CTs on the rear. Please do not use that last comment to pervert this thread into a CT vs. MT debate. It's a matter of individual choice, IMO! Thanks.

04 1300C; 03 1800C; 05 1800F; 04 1800N; 06 1800N2; 08 1800T3

Thanks for the wrtiteup, Will. I had the Kisan modulator and the Kisan Tailblazer on my Blue Moon II ( pictured on my sig line). I also had Kury' s halogen highway lightbar with running lights and the tool that whacked me still didn't see me. More than likely that was because he didn't look.
    Anything is possible, particularly if you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ra3boy View Post
    OMG compadre
    I'm glad you are O.K. so the blue one is gone? along with P4?! That's sad!!! How's a brand new VTX for $8K.
    Whatever you are to choose, stay safe and many more miles!
    Thanks for the kind words. Blue moon, sadly, is done. I will, however, be plucking the P4 and some other choice goodies from amongst her $13K in bling for either resale or for my next X.

If you ever want to see some of the best riding in our area, give me a call (PM me!). Paradise is only 50 miles west of Manhatten!

Thanks for the wrtiteup, Will. I had the Kisan modulator and the Kisan Tailblazer on my Blue Moon II ( pictured on my sig line). I also had Kury' s halogen highway lightbar with running lights and the tool that whacked me still didn't see me. More than likely that was because he didn't look.

Well, dang....

Sometimes the only thing left is to have a high school band parading in front of you playing "The Star Spangled Stripes Forever" and they will STILL run into you....

Hopefully, bad luck has left you, and forgotten of you; and you can once again mount and enjoy without fear; the air whistling by you, as you pilot your next bike (soon to be; we await what you're going to decide on... )

Kindest Regards,

-Will
    Last edited by willtill; 09-26-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Thanks again, Will. It might take a while, but stay tuned, I'll keep 'ya posted!

Any more Rocket riders out there? I'd particularly like to know the differences 'tween the '05-'07 models...

I got one of the first Rocket3's in 2004 and kept it 'til 2007. Like I've said before, the steam catapult torque you never tire of. Somehow I did tire of the rest of it, but not everyone does. To me it's just not what Triumph is all about. Now I have a Bonneville T100 and a 1800F for a bigbore cruiser. I like that combo better.

About the only negatives of the Rocket compared to a VTX1800 are a paucity of aftermarket parts (comparatively anyway), a motor with almost turbine like smoothness which is only a negative if you miss the pulse of a v-twin, and the fact you sure as hell won't find dealers with a buttload of brand new ones to pick from under $10K like you can with VTX1800's right now!

Those who think Triumphs are not quality, reliable bikes these days are just plain wrong. I've been all over the country on Triumphs from the new company without a single problem and wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere on them I'd go on my Honda...or even my Harley

There's said to be some bolt to do with shifter that had come loose on early models.... Problem was, they had to split the cases to get at it.

Read a few clutch complaints, and ECM failures... Again, on early bikes.

I frequently visit the showroom and check out the R3 Touring model.

Rode a standard when they first came out, and it is all that.

The 1800 is the hands down bargain,but the Rocket is just a awesome bike.A friend has one and loves to play with the sportbikes on the freeways.It will cruise quite tame and docile or instantly become a fire breathing dragon.Ahh...If only i had the funds..Maybe next year.If you can spend the extra dough definately get the Rocket III.
    My 4th VTX.She's a screamer!

Get the Rocket!

Sometime all efforts to be seen still are not enough.

I Lost a childhood friend killed in the line of duty April 10, 1995, motorcycle LEO, hit while making a routine stop, working a 35mph school zone. I am reminded of him every time an officer or biker is injured or goes down.

2 Motorcycle LEOs working together, with lights and siren going, an elderly couple pulled out from a side road, right as they were passing in front of them.
    All our efforts to be seen and heard, then.....
    Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck, if you got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Get the Rocket!

Sometime all efforts to be seen still are not enough.

I Lost a childhood friend killed in the line of duty April 10, 1995, motorcycle LEO, hit while making a routine stop, working a 35mph school zone. I am reminded of him every time an officer or biker is injured or goes down.

2 Motorcycle LEOs working together, with lights and siren going, an elderly couple pulled out from a side road, right as they were passing in front of them.
    All our efforts to be seen and heard, then.....
    That there is a post worth some thought all.......

Very sorry for your loss Big Mac.

Get what you want. Go as fast as you want. Stay safe.
    Dan

Thanks for the kind words. Blue moon, sadly, is done. I will, however, be plucking the P4 and some other choice goodies from amongst her $13K in bling for either resale or for my next X.

If you ever want to see some of the best riding in our area, give me a call (PM me!). Paradise is only 50 miles west of Manhatten!

Hombre... say it ain't so... how sad... Glad your OK... I was thinking about you the other day when I was taking a cigar blast along the river around Frenchtown... with all that bling it might just make sense to get another X being they are almost giving them away But a Rocket III is one hell of a ride
    Sorry to hear this... was looking forward to another blast through the backroads watching that CT eat up asphalt
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

Big Mac, sorry to here about your friend. I guess when God puts out a collect call there's no denying the charges.

Scup, my man, I've thought about you recently, too. That ride we took early on in the season was one of my best. I'll be your wingman any old time! Hopefully, I'll be remounted soon... I'll let you know. If you're in the area, give me a shout and we'll catch up over a beer or three.

The only bike I loved more than my Rocket is my Valkyrie.
    '99 Valkyrie

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, its an attitude.

X, I personally love the looks of the Rocket. I have an acquaintence who has owned one for about three years and has had one major problem. Seems the finals weren't heavy duty enough to handle the torque. He has been through three of them, two under warranty.
    Triumph's fix for that was to use a narrower rear tire on the later models so I'm told.
    I almost bought one myself but it sat higher than the VTX.
    If the rear end problem has been addressed properly by Triumph, I would go with it just because it's different and you have had 2 vtx's. Why not give it a try?
    We'll still talk to ya.
    05 1800S, Hondaline winshield, Kury grips, Kury throttle boss, Hondaline bags, 'C' risers, Vtxexhaust pipes, Desmog, K&N, Kury floorboards, Kury brake pedal, lots of chrome, BadX memeory foam mod, Cobra Fatties, Firehouse Customs backrest,Techlusion TFI, Kury bullets, Spyker air filter cover.

Don't Thread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack G View Post
    The only bike I loved more than my Rocket is my Valkyrie.

That helps, because the only bike I love more than the valkyrie is my VTX 1800 retro.

I'm keeping my 1800C but am considering buying a Rocket too. My only concern is that Triumph, in general, has always been known as a high maintenance bike whereas my 1800C has been flawless. Trumph dealers are also few and far apart in the Mid-West.

Ox

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm keeping my 1800C but am considering buying a Rocket too. My only concern is that Triumph, in general, has always been known as a high maintenance bike whereas my 1800C has been flawless. Trumph dealers are also few and far apart in the Mid-West.

Ox
    My next service (if I elect to let the dealer do it) is at the 10000 mile mark. Not much more to do with it at the moment than keep the fluids topped off, and controls in adjustment.

First valve check on the Rocket is at 14K.

Kindest Regards,

-Will
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Senior Member Checkpoint Chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    you will absolutely love the triumph rocket, if you decide to go that way.

As you have previously remarked above; you have sensed her.

I have had my rocket 3 (2008 classic) for a couple of months now, and can make a good comparison between it at the 2007 1300r that i still own (and will continue to keep) - (though i know that you asked for a comparison between and 1800 and a rocket).

You will find that you ride slightly higher on a rocket, as opposed to a vtx; just have to look at the floorboards and seat height in the dip of the saddle.

The rocket has more "girth" as opposed to the vtx. Sitting on the rocket is akin to sitting on top of a brahma bull's back. No chit

It is rumored that rockets eat up rear rubber much more quickly than the vtx; which is probably due to more anticipated "twist of the throttle" activity directly rewarded by the power plant which lives within it. When my time comes. I am going to have a car tire installed; i never thought i would do this on a motorcycle but my style of riding and the current 240 that is sitting in the rim of my rocket is a "no brainer" to me. It needs to be done. Good reviews that i have seen from other captains that command rockets with car tires.

I do hope that you are satisfied in whatever you decide on, for your new ride. I sincerely offer to you, that if you decide to own a rocket iii; a new awareness will open to you concerning power and motorcycling.

I still have my vtx. I enjoy it immensely.

However....

... The rocket iii absolutely beats every motorcycle that i have ridden "hands down".

kindest regards,

-will
    wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!

I think the gear issue is the reason they dropped the horsepower on the tourer model. I test rode one and man was it nice. I want a little more from a tour bike though. To me if it had a built in radio, cb, and intercomm then it would be everthing I want in a bike.
    2003 Red Custom
    God Bless America!!!!
    Support our Troops!!!
    Patriot Guard member #57

Any more Rocket riders out there? I'd particularly like to know the differences 'tween the '05-'07 models...
    ..hombre, I ride an 06 standard (fat gas tank and 240 rear tire)..bought it used with 1700 miles on it in May of 08 for $10,000..no problems so far..getting ready to take it in for the 10,000 mile service, mainly for documentation purposes, and I'll tell ya why..some of these bikes, probably way less than 5%, have developed serious mechanical problems requiring an 'upgrade kit' (internal transmission and/or engine parts)..now here's the kicker..Triumph has stepped up to the plate and covered almost all of these bikes on their dime..out of warranty!..even back as far as an 05 model....you won't see that from Honda or Harley..

..you already know about the power, and the handling is surprisingly easy for such a big bike with a 240 tire..I enjoy the bike for what it is..a big ass bruiser cruiser, but I'll throw on a pair of saddle bags, windshield and sissy bar/luggage rack and go for extended trip as well..as for looks, well, it's got a face only a mother could love....but this all you see when you're in the cockpit.. ..I know this is a Honda board, and I love my VTX 1300, but if you're considering Triumph, take a test ride on the new Thunderbird if ya can.. all the old Triumph die hards are giving it rave reviews..

Great comments from one and all... please keep 'em coming!

willtill, we are going to have to keep you and Red Chicky apart. I understand that she is a happily married women.

Quote Originally Posted by tranz View Post
    ..some of these bikes, probably way less than 5%, have developed serious mechanical problems requiring an 'upgrade kit' (internal transmission and/or engine parts)..now here's the kicker..Triumph has stepped up to the plate and covered almost all of these bikes on their dime..out of warranty!..even back as far as an 05 model....you won't see that from Honda or Harley..
    I studied every angle of owning a Triumph Rocket, before I even contemplated the purchase of one. What Tranz posted and I highlighted; pushed me into the decision of buying a Rocket III.

No regrets. Especially for a company that stands behind their product; even after the warranty runs out.

Kindest Regards,

-Will
    Last edited by willtill; 09-27-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by PAVTXER View Post
    I would think personal preference would come into play here. But, if it's an either or situation for ya, I would think the used VTX would be a great availability and deal..... buyers market so they say. And coming to the end of the season where some might be making better deals......

I personally think the VTX Retro or Neo Retros look nice of course, and am not a fan of the C or F (it depends on your tastes). The Rocket III is not attractive to me at all..... (without saying FUGLY).... however, the R3T is growing on me probably because it appears somewhat similar to the Valkyrie Interstate. I just wish the Rocket looked the same on both sides..... but that is my opinion. Just as what you choose to ride is yours..... Good luck.
    You want a 4600
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)

Senior Member Checkpoint Chicky's Avatar

Great comments from one and all... please keep 'em coming!

willtill, we are going to have to keep you and Red Chicky apart. I understand that she is a happily married women.
    ? When did I get married?

I've stated this before as the Pro's have also.

The Con's:
    Not a V-twin, sound or feel.

Ugly John Deere engine. If you get one make sure it's blacked out engine. The gray is awful.

Harldly any aftermarket parts.

Reliabilty...Good luck!! I've heard both sides.

SHane

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.