Honda VTX Forum banner

Laid down after 40 years

2K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  petejoe43 
#1 ·
Well, after riding bikes 40 years, I laid my baby down yesterday while the wife and I were out for a ride. Went to IHOP for breakfast, took a ride by Joe Pool Lake, went to a little leather shop in Maypearl and on the way back in a 90 degree right turn running about 20-25 mph, front tire came out from under us. I didn't see anything but can only guess it was a slick spot in the curve. Thankfully crash bar, saddle bag and trunk took the scrapes for the bike. My wife got a little road rash on her right arm and left palm. I got road rash on right arm and heat blister on right knee. Lucky we were going slow and no cars were coming in the opposite direction. Lesson learned: wear the mesh jacket even when it's warm out and maybe traverse the 90 degree turns a little more cautiously in the future!

#8 ·
Glad you and the wife are ok. I saw a rider almost go down Sunday on Hwy 287 between Waxahachie and Midlothian. This stretch of highway has a new layer of asphalt. :doorag:

#9 ·
Glad you both are okay. Gives us all something to consider when we're riding.

#11 ·
Ever so glad that you came out ahead
40-1 not bad odds....
Blessings on your healing,
the older we get the harder the falls/bumps seem to be. ~M

#13 ·
Glad you are okay. Two years ago I was riding through some rain, on a straight road, and went over a bridge. On the other side of the bridge there was just a little bump and took just enough of the weight off my back tire that it hydroplaned. I let off the throttle, and the tire bit the road again, but fish-tailed for about 40 feet. The bike stayed upright, but I got off on the next exit and changed my pants.

Can never be too cautious.

#15 ·
Good to hear you and the wife are OK, keep that jacket handy.
I catch a lot of flack on wearing my mesh jacket down here in the heat (Houston) -- I don't ride without it. It's not if you go down it's when you will go down. :rolleyes:

#24 ·
Super glad you and the wife didn't get hurt any worse. Personally, I never ride without a jacket, gloves, and helmet (full face).

#25 ·
Glad you're ok with the exception of a few bumps and scrapes.....how's the tread on that front tire? I've never slipped on front.....now the rear is a different story. Tire pressure? I run Michelin Commanders front and rear and I feel like I'm stuck to the road......again, glad you're ok......:mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.