Honda VTX Forum banner

The Next Chapter...

12K views 115 replies 46 participants last post by  RODS X 
#1 ·
So about 2.5 months ago I get a PM from Vince (vjp5) over on the Cafe' that he's selling his Longboy front fender to go a different route. Long story short, he gave me a deal I couldn't refuse and even had spacers made up just like the ones he's using for his new fender. Vince even shipped me the fender and spacers before I could scrounge up the money to send to him...talk about cool!

Today was "mock up" day, after getting some much needed yard work done. This mod is really going to be pretty easy compared to the rear fender. Vince already had it mounted on his 1300, so all I had to do was buy longer chrome bolts and acorn nuts. I had this puppy on in about 15-20 minutes, and took the inaugural ride. I'm planning on doing some cutting/rounding on the lower back edges to match my rear fender, and then I'll probably round the front edges to look sort of like the stock C fender. But there's really not much to do, which is nice...it'll keep the cost down. :thumbup:

Here are the obligatory pictures, and I finally shot a video of my bike with my iPhone and uploaded it to my YouTube account. Hope you all like it.

The Goods...

Started here...

Front wheel off...

The two fenders side-by-side...

New hardware...

Longboy by itself...

Realized wheel had to go on first... :oops:

Longboy and wheel installed...

New lid struts installed...

Couple of "money" shots... :mrgreen:

And the YouTube video!

See less See more
1 28
#82 ·
Jason, if that fender is raw steel underneath like I think it is, you may want to tape off the Orange and spray primer then black to seal it. My front came back raw also.
Good idea...but undercoating would be better.

Looks great Jason!!

#83 ·
Real sweet way to go :thumbup:
I agree time to put the burnt orange back in the 70s where it belongs. Sweet looking ride though.:thumbup:
:firstplace: fender looks fantastic Jason.
Looks great, love the fender, the mounts came out great. You do some nice work, Smitt
Thanks guys! I'm tired of seeing the bike in pieces...I'm ready to ride again! ;)

Jason, if that fender is raw steel underneath like I think it is, you may want to tape off the Orange and spray primer then black to seal it. My front came back raw also.
Good idea...but undercoating would be better.

Looks great Jason!!
Yes, that is the plan. Gotta pick up the stuff today while I'm out and about. I was thinking the undercoating would be more durable...maybe like a bedliner type of finish.

#87 ·
It's going to be sweet when you get er done -- good job :popcorn: can't wait to see it when it's done.

#88 ·
:dontknow: I don't get it. Who painted the fender? No offense, but any painter worth a crap would have painted the underside at the same time. Hate to say it, but you may have issues down the road with the edges rusting.

Any way the fender looks great on the bike.:thumbup:

#91 ·
Love the fender

#92 ·
Nice!!

Looks good Jason! Congrats!

#93 ·
Thanks guys. I agree that the underside should have been painted, but I took care of that. As for the edges, I will touch those up with primer/paint where needed...it won't be professional but it should do.

Vince, thank you again...couldn't have done it without your help! :thumbup:

#95 ·
Anytime Jason.

BTW - the new sig pic is :thumbup:
Just remember me when you get tired of your new paint job! :lol: :thumbup:

Yeah, I love those wedding pictures we took with the bike, but I would've rather had my bike looking like it is now. :mrgreen:

"Honey, we need to renew our wedding vows soon!" :lol: :lol:

#97 ·
Looks great! I think I found my new front fender. What size spacers and bolts did you use?
Sorry for the late response. Here are the dimensions for the original aluminum spacers I had.

0.75" O.D.
0.36" I.D.
1.75" Long

The new spacers I have now were custom-made and I don't have the dimensions for those. For the bolts/nuts that went with those first spacers, I just went with longer ones. You don't even have to match the stock bolt's pitch, because they went completely through the forks and fender, and then the nuts were on the inside of the fender. I don't remember off-hand what the length of them was, though. :oops:

#98 ·
Sorry for the late response. Here are the dimensions for the original aluminum spacers I had.

0.75" O.D.
0.36" I.D.
1.75" Long

The new spacers I have now were custom-made and I don't have the dimensions for those. For the bolts/nuts that went with those first spacers, I just went with longer ones. You don't even have to match the stock bolt's pitch, because they went completely through the forks and fender, and then the nuts were on the inside of the fender. I don't remember off-hand what the length of them was, though. :oops:
Thanks for the info. My fender shipped today! Looking forward to some hard work. A buddy of mine are planning on doing all the work, including the paint. Wish us luck!

#100 ·
Thanks for the info. My fender shipped today! Looking forward to some hard work. A buddy of mine are planning on doing all the work, including the paint. Wish us luck!
Cool. Just take your time and measure twice, cut once...if you plan on cutting the fender. :thumbup:

That's going to keep a lot of trash out of the radiator, major plus there.
Looks Sharp..
Thanks. It also keeps the chin spoiler clean, too. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.