vtx 1300 vs v-star 1300
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vtx 1300 vs v-star 1300

Default vtx 1300 vs v-star 1300

At first I was thinking about a Yamaha v-star 1300 because I once had a v-star 650 and I liked it pretty good. So I went to the Yamaha dealer and sat on one. I was really suprised. It was top heavy and bulky feeling. I am 5'7". Also it was way too tall. Also the Yamaha dealer was asking more than MSRP. Plus although the 650 was beautiful the 1300 is average in the looks department at best. (IMHO) Also the 08's have a problem with their clutch.
    Then I went to the honda dealer... When I sat on a vtx I was totally suprised how light it felt considering it weighs 675 pounds. Plus the seat was really low and I could reach the ground super well. Also it is totally beautiful. Plus they were selling brand new 07's for 7500 which is like 3000 dollars less than the v-star. When I started riding the vtx I was glad to discover that it handles better than any bike I have ever been on. It is nimble and easy to control and is perfectly balanced. I like the shaft drive better than the belt on the star.... but I must admit that the fuel injection would be nice. All in all I definately made the right decision. Do you think the v star has any advantages over the vtx? How about gearing speed and power? Has anyone ever ridden one? Just curious. John.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Just curious...you test rode the VTX, but not the Yamaha? Then you purchased the VTX, not the Yamaha? Sounds like you made the right choice, that being the bike you wanted. Ride on!

The Star is unquestionably a great bike as is the VTX. Very tightly screwed together. I test rode one and it felt like a much bigger bike. As I was upgrading from an Aero 750, financing with Honda was a breeze so that's the way I went.
    Godzilla

When I test rode the Star 1300 it felt like I was perched on top of the bike instead of sitting in the bike like I feel with my VTX. The handlebars seemed like I could be pushing a wheelbarrow. I confirmed to myself that we had made the correct purchases. (Like there was ever any doubt!)
    Last edited by Fossil (not); 01-10-2010 at 04:17 AM.
    ........His; 2006 Candy Tangerine VTX 1300C...................
    ................... Hers; 2004 Black VTX 1300C......................

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil (not) View Post
    When I test rode the Star 1300 it felt like I was perched on top of the bike instead of sitting in the bike like I feel with my VTX. The handlebars seemed like I could be pushing a wheelbarrow. I confirmed to myself that we had made the correct purchases. (Like there was ever any doubt!)
    I felt the same way when I sat on the Star 1300. Didn't feel comfortable at all, like I was on top of the thing. I'm sure it is a great bike, but I just love everything about the VTX 1300.

2009 VTX 1300 Tourer, Samson Warlord Slashers

I will never forget the first time I sat on the VTX 1300, it just felt right. I bought a sportbike, then sold the sportbike after a couple of years, but now I finally got a VTX 1300.

I also liked the feel of the Warrior, but that is another story.
    ---------------------------------------
    current - 2005 Black VTX1300C - PAIR valve removed, Cobra Classic Deluxe Slashcuts, SCAR mod(poor boy jet kit) with one Radio Shack shim and A/F screw 2 turns, K&N air filter, NC small windscreen, mustang seat, Kenda Kruz tires. I ride and wrench on my VTX.
    past - 2006 Suzuki Katana 750, 1993 Honda Night Hawk 750, Suzuki GS 750, Yamaha Daytona Special 400, Kawasaki KZ400, Ossa 250, Honda 350 Scrambler.

I take an annual motorcycle trip with my best friend who has a star 1300, I have a 2004 vtx 1300s. Both bikes have performed flawlessly. The star does seem to get a bit better gas mileage compared to the vtx. My buddy went with the star over the vtx because he wanted the fuel injection and felt the belt drive would give him more low end torque. Regardless, I love my VTX!

The Star does have that "sitting on, not in". Riding it reminds me of the old 50's bikes, especially with that nacelle-mounted speedo. Strictly retro!

I still might buy one.
    Godzilla

Just some added thoughts. I seem to recall that the seat height/feel was one of the main complaints when the star 1300 came out and in more recent models they did lower the seat height. However, even with the lower height, you still feel like you're sitting on top of the bike...I know I did when I tested a new model not too long ago.

I am sure the Star 1300 is a good bike. That being said, I remember when it wasn't too long after that model first came out I was strolling around a dealership (Honda and Yamaha) in Florida looking. In the used bike section they had two Star 1300s. both the first model year and first low miles, for sale. I just wondered why two owners sold them or traded them in so soon.

2009 VTX 1300 Tourer, Samson Warlord Slashers

I was also trying to decide between a Roadstar Silverado and a VTX 1300. I found both bikes to be visually the same for the most part. Cost and the fact that the VTX was water cooled pretty much sealed the deal.

I have only ever owned Hondas. Did you go to Chickasha to look at the bikes? I know Shawnee Honda is selling their VTX 1300's super cheap but they don't carry Yamahas.
    '03 VTX 1300S, Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid 205/65R15 CT, HID Headlight, DG Roadburner 2.5" Street Pro's, Kury HC Pro, Kury Deep Dish Bezels,Kury ISO Grips, Modified License Plate Bracket, Glen's A/F Permanent Screw, Pair Valve, SCAR mod, Woody's Fairing, Mutazu bags, NC Paladin Engine Guards, Rudy Seat, and Chrome.

Default VS

I owned a Yamaha Roadstar for 5 years and it was rock solid. I never performed any maintenance except oil change. Rock solid and never left me stranded.
    But, the styling on the 1300 Yamaha didnt look right. Especially the speedometer between the bars.
    The 1300 has it all, except a taller fith gear.
    Ride Hard......Ride Smart

...........Darksider.........

Default argyle...

Went to Chickasha and Shawnee both to look at hondas and to A & A Sales and Salvage in OKC on 15th street to check out the Yamahas. -John

Shopping Star is like shopping at Harley Davidson. Interested, informed salespeople, test rides offered, accessories on display...

Trouble here is that Star only finances through one bank. I was making 100k and they still said no. WTF? Honda approved it in about 1/2 an hour.
    Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Shopping Star is like shopping at Harley Davidson. Interested, informed salespeople, test rides offered, accessories on display...

Trouble here is that Star only finances through one bank. I was making 100k and they still said no. WTF? Honda approved it in about 1/2 an hour.
    I think Yamaha has been trying to mimick Harley for a long time, the way they present their bikes.May not be a bad thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by noangel2112 View Post
    I think Yamaha has been trying to mimick Harley for a long time, the way they present their bikes.May not be a bad thing though.
    It sure almost made a sale with me! Weak link was financing. They had only the one option.
    Godzilla

Just moved to my 1300 S in November from a V-Star 650 Classic I had for two years.

The styling between the two is very similar with the X coming out on top. I feel like my sitting position is almost the same and plan on getting a seat mod to sit further down on the bike. The X obviously has a whole lot more power, but it handles so well, I haven't had any issues at all with riding a larger bike.

When trying to decide between the Star 1300, the X and a few others, price ended up being the deciding factor. My X was by far the best deal I found in almost 6 month's of research.

Immediately after getting the X home, I signed up for this board and a couple of other VTX owners forums. Best thing I've done for the bike. Getting the information from this crew has already been incredibly helpful!

Enjoy the new ride!
    U-Turn
    "Just remember that no matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Silver - 2006 VTX 1300 S - Solo Setup, JM Hardbags, Roadburner Double Eagle SLTs, Reckless fairing with Sony stereo and speakers, Twin Chrome Magnum Stebels - More to come...

I've owned both (in virtually the same color).

It seems that the VTX1300 is available (typically) for about 2,000 less? Not comparing MSRP here - just what they are available for at the dealers?

Would I pay a couple grand difference to get the Star1300? No.

Both are great bikes. Both are water cooled. One is shaft and the other is belt.

The Star1300 has a taller seat height and a longer reach to the handlebars so it would be a better fit for taller riders.

The Star1300 has fuel injection and makes 12-15 more horsepower and gets about 5 mpg better fuel economy than the VTX1300. Part of that may be that you lose a couple HP with the shaft drive .vs belt drive.

Dual front discs on the Star. Coated wheels. The Star OEM seat is more comfortable. The Star has better suspension and rides much smoother than the VTX.

They're both fun to ride and reliable.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil (not) View Post
    When I test rode the Star 1300 it felt like I was perched on top of the bike instead of sitting in the bike like I feel with my VTX.
    This is the exact same impression I had and why I bought the VTX instead of the VStar. You feel like part of the bike with the VTX. I really wanted to like the VStar for the fuel injection, but that wasn't enough. The bike feels heavier off the stand than the VTX, but not too much so.

After 5000 miles I am convinced I made the right decision.
    Vulcaneyez

I do not ride because I have a death wish, I ride because I wish to live. - Vulcaneyez 2010

I also was thinking of getting a v-star 1300, but the dealers in hawaii never had them in stock. I guess that was a good thing, because I ended up getting a vtx1300r instead. Best decision I never had to make because I am very happy with my vtx. Especially reading all the remarks made about the v-star, thanks guys.

Default i agree

i agree that the honda just fits better while my kids were growing up we had 6 quads everything from honda to kawasaki polaris to yamaha the yamaha raptor was by far the fastest and most reliable of them all so when it was time for me to buy a bike first place i went was to the yamaha dealer bike just didnot fit me then i went to honda and the x fit like a glove and the rest is history
    texasmike
    1300c 8 degree rake, cobra pipes, c&c seat, darkside and lots more

I got to check one out at the end of the fall one on of the last rides of the season. Ended up parking next to one at a lake I like to stop at.

It was the "touring" type model with the big saddlebags and windshield. I personally thought it was a fantastic sharp looking bike. The saddlebags had crash bars over them, in addition to the front crash bars. Very neat look to it. Fuel injection is a nice feature for people who don't like dealing with carbs/choke. Dual rotors up front is definitely something the Yamaha has a leg up on over the VTX.

Doesn't the Yamaha have that oversquared motor? I wonder if that would make a lower center of gravity to counteract the "sitting on" feel instead of "sitting in" that the VTX has?

2007 VTX1300C Pearl White

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.