Honda VTX Forum banner

How Do You Store Your Bike?

3K views 70 replies 53 participants last post by  sumncguy 
#1 ·
Some bikes while away the winter months outside - under a tarp.
Some - in a nice storage shed.
Others - in a garage.
We have a walk-out basement.
Happy bikes.

:mrgreen:

See less See more
#52 ·
Does anyone drain the carb when storing the bike?
I leave my X for 5 months in Florida for the hot summer months. Usually just put Stabil and the battery tender.
Never have a problem when storing my Aero that way for 7 months in the winter, but last year I had carb issues when I started up the X...had to run carb cleaner through it.

#53 ·
My neighbor had a problems with his bike and had to have the carb rebuilt so I would crank it up once a week and let it warm up and run the gas thru the carb with Carb Cleaner such as Seafoam, Stabil or Techron.

Ethanol attracts moisture and is a terrible additive to gasoline that causes countless problems and should be repealed.

#54 ·
In the garage, under cover, fully serviced for spring, tank full, sitting on a HF bike dolly, started at least once a month and hopefully riden to the store as often.

#57 ·
in my garage with the other 3 bikes a four wheeler a dirt bike and all the tools. street bikes have seafoam and the bike and fourwheeler i ride year round.

Dude

#58 ·
You can Extend the Life of your Battery by 2 or 3 years if you keep it charged up properly during it's lifetime. It's when it drops dangerously low that it has sulfaction which destroys parts of the cell that transmit electricity.

That is why so many batteries die when it gets cold. They are Marginal and the cold temperature pushes them over the edge. I have had a Battery last 5 to 6 year by using the Battery Tender Plus and I just keep it plugged to my bike's battery and then occasionally I put it on my Seadoo Battery to charge it up and I rotate that charging process.

being in the garage, I never put a tender on it. I just start it every now and then.

#59 ·
Letting a bike run for about 5 minutes just restores the amount of charge you used to start it with and it does not even come close to giving you a Full Charge on your Battery which is why your battery will last longer if it is constantly near a Full Charge.

#61 ·
With all the threads here about batteries I am at a loss as to why battery care is even discussed anymore, with the exception of the new people who don't know. :dontknow:

Plug the thing in and be done with it. If nothing else it will erase doubt as to whether or not you are doing the right thing. A Battery Tender will do no harm, and will very likely extend and maintain the life of a battery by years. ;)

#62 ·
With all the threads here about batteries I am at a loss as to why battery care is even discussed anymore, with the exception of the new people who don't know. :dontknow:

Plug the thing in and be done with it. If nothing else it will erase doubt as to whether or not you are doing the right thing. A Battery Tender will do no harm, and will very likely extend and maintain the life of a battery by years. ;)
Dan. Please put the DE pic back up. nojoke

Me, I rode about thirty miles today and my bike is plugged back into the battery tender tonight.

#65 ·
GO COLTS...

Merry Christmas my friend.
Colts? Irsay? Hrumphhhhh.......The drunk bastage stole our team. We will never forget. Another discussion.

The Ravens hold no loyalty for me....they are the Cleveland Browns. But the people here have embraced the Ravens......not me. Go Steelers.

Oh yeah lest I forget. Merry Christmas to you too bro. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.