Honda VTX Forum banner

SCAR Mod & MPG's

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  texasmike 
#1 ·
I did the SCAR Mod and have gone through 2 tanks of gas. My MPG's have gone from 38 to 33, is this common and what can I do to increase the MPG's. Side note, I used 2 shims and did not adjust my A/F screw. It is still at the stock setting.

#4 ·
Well, you are definitely not tuned. You should be in the 40s. Properly tuned, the 1300 should get high 40s when operated conservatively, and low 40s if ya drive WOT constantly.

Are you running an opened airbox? The Scar mod is not necessary if you are not letting more air into your system. If you have opened up your air intake, I would start with checking your plugs to see what they look like. That will give you an idea of whether you are lean or rich, and help you determine where you need to go.

#5 ·
The reason for the mod was to help correct my cold starts. I will be adding a K&N filter as soon as it arrives. I will not be performing any mods to the airbox itself. I have not seen any black smoke, but I noticed a slight gas smell from the engine area.

#6 ·
The reason for the mod was to help correct my cold starts. I will be adding a K&N filter as soon as it arrives. I will not be performing any mods to the airbox itself. I have not seen any black smoke, but I noticed a slight gas smell from the engine area.
If you have not opened the airbox to allow more air into the intake, you do not need the Sccar mod. The Scar mod add more fuel into your full circuit. If you were having issues with cold starts, an adjustment of the A/F screw would have fixed your issue. Now, you have added more fuel into your WHOLE circuit, and you have not added any air to help you burn that fuel. You are running rich.

#8 ·
Okay, then when I get my K&N, will I increase the airflow or will I need to open my airbox more.
The K&N will not significantly increase airflow. They are mainly just a cleanable filter. You can either put your carb back to stock, or open up the airbox. But you still will need to look at your plugs to make sure you are burning fuel correctly.

#9 ·
i would suggest doing the spyker mod the the air box it is a really cost effective way to get more air. then put in your k&n filter and set a/f to 2 1/2 out and you will be pretty close to where you need to be .

#14 ·
I am getting the hang of this whole forum thing. I am fairly mechanically inclined, just need a little direction. Thanks again for all the help.

#15 ·
#16 ·
After all the great input, I will be doing the Spyker Mod w/K&N filter and of course adjusting the A/F screw. All parts have been ordered and I am patiently waiting. I think this combo will get me where I want to be. Thanks again for all the help. Oh and by the way, total cost for SCAR, Spyker, and K&N filter was about $50.

#17 ·
hey sparky, sorry to hijack this thread can you give a quick account of your bikes set up ?? iv'e added 2 inch fork extensions and cut rear shocks by 1 1/2 inch in prep for a rake is yours a 6 degree? how does it handle ?

#18 ·
hey sparky, sorry to hijack this thread can you give a quick account of your bikes set up ?? iv'e added 2 inch fork extensions and cut rear shocks by 1 1/2 inch in prep for a rake is yours a 6 degree? how does it handle ?
First off I forgot to add to my post above that I have a K & N filter as well.

Texasmike,

I do have a 6* rake that I bought from Xtreme Revolution. I have the 2" fork extensions ( covered by KEWL METAL fat fork covers ) with 11" Progressives. The bike rides like it's on rails, very smooth. As far as handling the only difference is when your going at walking speed the handlebars tend to want to swing to one way. Not very forceful though and no big deal but that's the only difference.

Steve

#20 ·
thanks for the info i know you've gone over it a bunch of times with others but i'm gettin close to pullin the trigger just wanted to be sure as i really like the looks of your bike

You won't regret it as it really changes the look and ride of the bike. Be sure to get you some fork covers to over up the extensions. It will be a lot easier to do while you have everything apart.

Steve

#21 ·
WHAT???

You should be in the 40s. Properly tuned, the 1300 should get high 40s when operated conservatively, and low 40s if ya drive WOT constantly.
High 40's, LOL never got it since the day I bought this bike.:rolleyes: Most EVER was 45MPG and I might have miscalculated that one.:dontknow:

Low 40's on WOT?:shock:, Shoot, I'm not even 1/2 throttle most of the time and I get 42MPG ave. now that it cooled off some, otherwise it's @ 38~39MPG all summer long.:shock:

Could it be the dry desert air? Everything on this bike is stock, engine tuning wise.:dontknow:

#22 ·
High 40's, LOL never got it since the day I bought this bike.:rolleyes: Most EVER was 45MPG and I might have miscalculated that one.:dontknow:

Low 40's on WOT?:shock:, Shoot, I'm not even 1/2 throttle most of the time and I get 42MPG ave. now that it cooled off some, otherwise it's @ 38~39MPG all summer long.:shock:

Could it be the dry desert air? Everything on this bike is stock, engine tuning wise.:dontknow:
Your bike doesn't come "tuned" from the dealer. The carb is set to a generic setting. Tuning your bike depends on many factors that cannot be preset from the factory.

#23 ·
I've never gotten 40. The best is 38 on a road trip. I don't know if there have been any mods (I bought it used from the dealer) to the carb, but it still has the smog system, so I doubt anything has been tweaked.

Spark plugs look good, clean and light brownish. I do have to use the choke on 45 degree mornings (I don't ride colder than that).

Where should I start in order to improve the MPGs?:confused:

#24 ·
i don't normally worry about milage but right after i did a bunch of work on the bike valve adjust, scar mod and spyker mod and new plugs i took a little road trip up to cloudcroft N.M. the first part of the trip is across very flat desert ,the road is straight and smooth i was just cruisein along takein it easy 65-70 mph enjoying a liesurely ride when i stopped to gas up i couldn't believe the milage i got . i checked and reckecked , i know you probably won't believe it either but it only took 1.5 gallons to go 85 miles:yikes:. i haven't had the chance to try and duplicate the ride since then but i'm gonna run it again this spring and see what happens. and p.s. i don't get high and never drink when i'm ridein LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.