1300 Speedo LED and Faceplate swap
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1300 Speedo LED and Faceplate swap

Mount Pleasant Pa. (not far from Pittsburgh)

Default 1300 Speedo LED and Faceplate swap

1. 1. Remove the gas cap.
    2. 2. Remove the bottom three screws, closest to the seat from the speedometer housing.
    3. 3. Unplug the wire plugs connected to the speedometer housing. (located near the front cylinder on the air cleaner side of the bike.
    4. 4. Take out the 4 screws under the housing, this will remove the housing from the speedometer.
    5. 5. Remove the 4 screws from the speedometer, this will allow you to take the clear cover from the speedometer.
    6. 6. Carefully remove the needle, If it cannot be removed by hand you can use a fork gently working the speedometer needle off the pin.
    7. 7. Take the 2 screws from the faceplate.
    8. 8. The faceplate should now come off.
    9. 9. Put the new faceplate on.
    10. 10. Now work from no. 7 to no. 1 to reinstall. When reinstalling the needle, put the needle pointing down towards the tank at an angle. The back side of the needs should point to 101 mph. After the needle is on, move it to the left over the needle stop. This allows the needle to be in the proper position. Kudo's given to Dave from Fire and Ice for figuring this out.
    heres a link to the site with photos.

http://www.cyclegrafix.com/application.html

Hope this helps, for all that have asked for this posting.
    Last edited by Chicago-Spike; 10-01-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added thread
    Offering full digitial graphics & decals.
    Visit www.CYCLEGRAFIX.com today!
    Full and partial motorcycle wraps.
    Custom speedo's
    Club stickers and decals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Also, from what I've read on here, do NOT clean the inside of the speedometer glass (plastic). You will remove the anti-fog coating and cause problems in the future.

See, I've learned a few things reading all the posts.
    2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike

Mount Pleasant Pa. (not far from Pittsburgh)

I second that too....I know some of the guys were treating the inside with "no fog" for googles before they reinstall. I havent had any issues with ours and we change ours out all the time...lol.

Nice tips....i love this board , great guys, and great info.
    Thanks to all who have supported us as a board sponsor over the years!!!!
    Offering full digitial graphics & decals.
    Visit www.CYCLEGRAFIX.com today!
    Full and partial motorcycle wraps.
    Custom speedo's
    Club stickers and decals.

Default Instructions for changing the speedometer LEDs

In the attached PDF file are the instructions to change the LEDs in the speedometer. This write up includes the process of changing them and where you can order the LEDs that you would prefer.

The creidt for this write up goes to Jim-Eye.

As always, use caution doing this modificattion and if you use these instructions you assume all responsibility.

Default speedo connector difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE GRAFIX View Post
    1. 1. Remove the gas cap.
    2. 2. Remove the bottom three screws, closest to the seat from the speedometer housing.
    3. 3. Unplug the wire plugs connected to the speedometer housing. (located near the front cylinder on the air cleaner side of the bike.
    4. 4. Take out the 4 screws under the housing, this will remove the housing from the speedometer.
    5. 5. Remove the 4 screws from the speedometer, this will allow you to take the clear cover from the speedometer.
    6. 6. Carefully remove the needle, If it cannot be removed by hand you can use a fork gently working the speedometer needle off the pin.
    7. 7. Take the 2 screws from the faceplate.
    8. 8. The faceplate should now come off.
    9. 9. Put the new faceplate on.
    10. 10. Now work from no. 7 to no. 1 to reinstall. When reinstalling the needle, put the needle pointing down towards the tank at an angle. The back side of the needs should point to 101 mph. After the needle is on, move it to the left over the needle stop. This allows the needle to be in the proper position. Kudo's given to Dave from Fire and Ice for figuring this out.

heres a link to the site with photos.

http://www.cyclegrafix.com/application.html

Hope this helps, for all that have asked for this posting.
    How do you get the green plugs apart? Is there some secret I'm missing?
    2005 1300c, trying to change out the speedo face plate.

Quote Originally Posted by BandMan61 View Post
    How do you get the green plugs apart? Is there some secret I'm missing?
    2005 1300c, trying to change out the speedo face plate.
    There are little clips that hold them together. Get a small screwdriver and pry them up VERY CAREFULLY!! They break very easily. If you take your tank off more than once or twice you will probably end up breaking them. Mine broke a LONG time ago, but they still stay together.

Quote Originally Posted by mneccspv View Post
    In the attached PDF file are the instructions to change the LEDs in the speedometer. This write up includes the process of changing them and where you can order the LEDs that you would prefer.

The creidt for this write up goes to Jim-Eye.

As always, use caution doing this modificattion and if you use these instructions you assume all responsibility.
    hey .. i know im new here but love the reading ..i would love to do this to my 1300vtx...but alittle scared to do this is it realy as easy as it reads

It is not easy and you must take your time and have some soldering skills but it is doable. Heck I managed to do it without breaking anything and anyone that knows me can tell you that does not happen often.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.