Honda VTX Forum banner

Nuther oil ?

1K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  mike n 
#1 ·
Are auto parts stores supposed to take your used oil? Or is it just a convenience for its customers? I usually buy my bike oil from Auto Zone or wally mart...Now have a couple gallons setting here and would like to get rid of it... Thanks for any info....

#2 ·
Jiffy Lube will usually take it for you, some auto parts stores will but it is left up to individual owners if they want to take it from the customers or not. Because the store will then have to call an oil company to pick up all the used stuff. That's why I take it to a quick oil lube place as they always have pick-ups of their used oil :thumbup:

#4 ·
I don't know if they have to by law or not but most do that I run across and they don't require you buy anything, at least in my area. You usually have to dump it into their container yourself.

#5 ·
Here in TX I can take mine to Auto Zone, quick lube or any other auto parts store and dump it.

#6 ·
I just dropped some oil off at Advance Auto. They dumped it for me. I did not want the jugs.

#10 ·
Your town might have a collection tank (mine does)....garages around here look at you like you have 2 heads if you want them to take your used oil. :dontknow:

#12 ·
Your town might have a collection tank (mine does):
Same here. People abuse the hell out of though. Anytime I go there, there are bottles all over. Oil spilling down the side of the tank. Some people just go there and put their full containers next to it and leave. I figure someday, they'll take them out as a result...

#13 ·
I have a plastic five gallon gas can that I put used oil in until it's full, then take it to Wal-mart and dump it for free.

There are several car parts places I've seen that will take it, but Wal-mart is just more convenient for me.

#14 ·
I take mine to Advance Auto Parts and dump it for free. I've looked at heating my garage using it but the units a too pricey for my blood :(

#18 ·
My city has a recycle program and I just set it at the curb on trash day. They use it for their maintenace garage to heat it.

#21 ·
I don't know if there is a Federal law, but most States require any retailer of motor oils to, in turn, take in used oil. Some have a limit of xx quarts per month and some do not.

In Missouri, virtually any auto parts store will have a storage tank for used oil. Nearly all of the quick oil change places are the same. The exception in Missouri is those quick lube places that use waste oil in those catalyic furnaces. Some are happy to take your used oil, but I know of at least one place that does not because they have no control of the content of the oil that's brought in from other customers. e.g. maybe some antifreeze or other stuff in there. BIG fines for that.

:dontknow:

#22 ·
Used oil is great for burning tree stumps out, brush piles, trash burn barrels.......etc. At least thats what it was for growing up on the farm.

#24 ·
I pour mine down the street storm drain in front of the house ------ Just kidding --- I save a few gallon milk jugs and put the used oil in them and the local Walmart auto department will take them.

Oh I had to chuckle when I read that.... good one. Actually, back in "the day", Dad would save his old motor oil, use some for rust proofing here and there and poured it along the fence line to kill the grass and save mowing/edging. Of course..... those days are looooooonnnnnng gone.

I agree with Russman tho... check your local Auto Repair shops to see if they have an oil burning heater/furnace. I take mine to an Alternator/Auto Elec repair shop and if they are open they welcome it, otherwise I leave it in a bottle at their door. Burns pretty good....

#25 ·
I pour mine down the street storm drain in front of the house ------ Just kidding --- I save a few gallon milk jugs and put the used oil in them and the local Walmart auto department will take them.
Walmart will take them. They have a limit of 5 gallons but was of getting around that! Just drive around to the Tire & Lube eXpress. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.