Bondo / Powder Coating Questions
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bondo / Powder Coating Questions

Default Bondo / Powder Coating Questions

In the process of stripping down the paint on my 240 swingarm so I can smooth out the welds. I'm using one of those 3m paint stipping drill attachements to get the paint and primer off. Really wish I had a media blaster, so here are my questions

1. Do I need to have all the paint stripped off the metal before putting the bondo on? If so, is there an easy way to get the paint and primer off other than media blasting?

2. Will bondo affect the powder coating?

3. Where's a reasonable place to get the swing arm powder coated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Powdercoating will only stick to metal....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassdude404 View Post
    Powdercoating will only stick to metal....

Not true. An item does not need to be metal to be coated but must be able to hold up to the heat needed for the curing process. There is a lot of wood MDF furniture that is power coated these days...

If your going to powder coat it you will need the arm completely stripped.

Now Bondo will not hold up to the heat of powder coating. There are several fillers made for powder coating. I've used JB weld and FastSteel with both good results, You can also look for Lab metal or use Lead body Solder like the old school boys use to use.

If you have to paint a fender you may as well just paint the arm and save yourself a bunch of work trying to work with the above fillers and pain of having to strip the arm all the way...
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Default powder coat

Usually powder coat is done on such products with a lower temp powdercoat product. There are powdercoating materials that melt and set as low as 130 degrees.

Depends on what media you are using

Alright, I'll stick to painting it. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the rear fender yet. I did pick up a spare F fender on ebay. I've got an idea of what I'd like to do with it but it involves a bit of fabrication and I don't have a welder. Plus I don't know how to weld. I don't want to cut my frame rails off so I'm planning on spreading them apart to fit the tire. For now, I may just run with the stock setup for now and cut down the subframe.

Quote Originally Posted by X'N View Post
    Not true. An item does not need to be metal to be coated but must be able to hold up to the heat needed for the curing process. There is a lot of wood MDF furniture that is power coated these days.......
    No kiddin'!!...Hmmm...I thought the material had to be able to conduct electricity for the powder to stick...I learned my "something new" for the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmsie View Post
    Alright, I'll stick to painting it. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the rear fender yet. I did pick up a spare F fender on ebay. I've got an idea of what I'd like to do with it but it involves a bit of fabrication and I don't have a welder. Plus I don't know how to weld. I don't want to cut my frame rails off so I'm planning on spreading them apart to fit the tire. For now, I may just run with the stock setup for now and cut down the subframe.

If you plan it out and work on it I think it would be possible to run a stock fender with a 240 if you redid the inner brace some. I have about a 1/2 inch of clearance between my frame rails and the tire. Its very tight, but doable...

Quote Originally Posted by big bad View Post
    Usually powder coat is done on such products with a lower temp powdercoat product. There are powdercoating materials that melt and set as low as 130 degrees.

Depends on what media you are using
    Who sells low temp powder that goes that low or even to say 250? I've looked for a long time but never seen any offered forsale. Most high tech coatings that go that low are trade secrets from what I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by X'N View Post
    If you plan it out and work on it I think it would be possible to run a stock fender with a 240 if you redid the inner brace some. I have about a 1/2 inch of clearance between my frame rails and the tire. Its very tight, but doable...
    Cool. I didn't think there would be that much room. I was looking at the inner brace last night trying to see how much cutting would be needed. Time to get in gear here and order up the tire.

Default tech

There are a few. They atcually go even lower than that using ultraviolet light and radio waves to make it melt and adhere at low temps

Product Description
    Thermosetting powder coating of low-temperature curing type is a newly-developed powder coating which is used on the things that are not suitable for high-temperture baking. This type of powder coating opens up wider application by lowering curing temperature to 108-130 degree celsius.

It can be used for surface coatings on such things as flaw detectors, auto water tanks, springs, electrical appliances with coils, instruments, equipment with tin welding seams. It can also be used on the products made of aluminum and magnesium materials, glass, plastics and wood etc.

A. The Key technical data:
    Item: Index
    Appearance of coating: Homogeneous colour without any agglomerate
    Density (g/cm): 1.2-1.6
    Fineness (180 mesh sieve residue): <0.5%
    Level fused flowability (mm): 22-28
    Curing condition (Degree Celsius/min): 108 degree celsius/30 118 degree celsius/20 130 degree celsius/10
    Appearance of cured film: Smooth, light orange peel is permissible
    Cured film thickness (um): 50-70
    Gloss 60%: High gloss=85% Semi-gloss type: 10-60%
    Matt type=10%
    Impact resistance(drop hammer) (kg/cm): =50
    Cupping test (mm): =6
    Flexility (mm): =3
    Adhesion (cross cut test)/grade: 0
    Pencil hardness (H): >2H
    Salt spray test (h: >1000
    Humid heat resistance (h): >1000
    Waterproof (h): >240
    Acid resistance (5% hydrochloric acid): >240
    Alkali resistance (5%NaoH) h: >240
    Gasoline resistance (h)
    Solvent resistance (h): >240
    24 no change
    Last edited by big bad; 03-06-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Powder coating MDF? Your a wealth of information Dan.

2003 VTX 1800R

Ya know, I think we're all Bozo's on this bus.

Quote Originally Posted by big bad View Post
    There are a few. They atcually go even lower than that using ultraviolet light and radio waves to make it melt and adhere at low temps

Product Description
    Thermosetting powder coating of low-temperature curing type is a newly-developed powder coating which is used on the things that are not suitable for high-temperture baking. This type of powder coating opens up wider application by lowering curing temperature to 108-130 degree celsius.

It can be used for surface coatings on such things as flaw detectors, auto water tanks, springs, electrical appliances with coils, instruments, equipment with tin welding seams. It can also be used on the products made of aluminum and magnesium materials, glass, plastics and wood etc.

A. The Key technical data:
    Item: Index
    Appearance of coating: Homogeneous colour without any agglomerate
    Density (g/cm): 1.2-1.6
    Fineness (180 mesh sieve residue): <0.5%
    Level fused flowability (mm): 22-28
    Curing condition (Degree Celsius/min): 108 degree celsius/30 118 degree celsius/20 130 degree celsius/10
    Appearance of cured film: Smooth, light orange peel is permissible
    Cured film thickness (um): 50-70
    Gloss 60%: High gloss=85% Semi-gloss type: 10-60%
    Matt type=10%
    Impact resistance(drop hammer) (kg/cm): =50
    Cupping test (mm): =6
    Flexility (mm): =3
    Adhesion (cross cut test)/grade: 0
    Pencil hardness (H): >2H
    Salt spray test (h: >1000
    Humid heat resistance (h): >1000
    Waterproof (h): >240
    Acid resistance (5% hydrochloric acid): >240
    Alkali resistance (5%NaoH) h: >240
    Gasoline resistance (h)
    Solvent resistance (h): >240
    24 no change

Yea but it does me no good if I can't buy it...

I think you should check out the UV cured powder coating.
    Then you could open a powdering coating & tanning salon.

Tan babes and shiny bikes!

2003 VTX 1800R

Ya know, I think we're all Bozo's on this bus.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.