Grinding noise after replacing brake pads
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grinding noise after replacing brake pads

jrevans122

Default Grinding noise after replacing brake pads

Had the Honda dealer replace my brake pads while I had him mounting the tires this weekend. Now there is a terrible grinding noise coming from the front wheel. I assume that it's the new pads. What could be causing such a racket? I used the OEM pads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Had the same problem on my 1300. I replaced them myself and thought I messed up. Apparrently this is normal. I beveled the leading edge of the pads and most of the noise went away. My new 1800 with 200 miles on it has brake noise but not that bad. As long as it stops all is good. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevans122 View Post
    Had the Honda dealer replace my brake pads while I had him mounting the tires this weekend. Now there is a terrible grinding noise coming from the front wheel. I assume that it's the new pads. What could be causing such a racket? I used the OEM pads.
    Terrible grinding is not normal but some noise is, so return to the dealer.

My further advice:

1) Buy or download service manual

2) Next time take your wheel off and bring it to the dealer for tire replacement only

3) Reinstall the wheel yourself and if necessary do the brake pad replacement

4) Take a look at www.bareasschoppers.com for more information
    Last edited by fastspek; 03-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    2003 VTX 1800C (forever)
    2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "

Quote Originally Posted by fastspek View Post
    Terrible grinding is not normal but some noise is, so return to the dealer.

My further advice:

1) Buy or download service manual

2) Next time take your wheel off and bring it to the dealer for tire replacement only

3) Reinstall the wheel yourself and if necessary do the brake pad replacement

4) Take a look at www.bareaschoppers.com for more information
    Bikeless...

Want AMSOIL? PM ME! (Local P/U)

I wouldn't assume that the grinding noise is normal.
    I also wouldn't assume that the dealer did the job correctly.
    I've seen many a bikes with improperly aligned front wheels. I have also seen brakes installed by the dealer done incorrectly. If you don't know how to do it yourself or have some else that can help you, then your either live with it or take it back to the stealer and hope they get it right this time.
    M STAR KMA

jrevans122

Default Grinding noise after replacing brake pads

Thanks for the replies. Turns out the dealer (stealer) installed front tire incorrectly. I checked the position of the tire on the left side and the spacing was incorrect. I put it up on the jack, and corrected the spacing myself. Now the noise is gone. It's a shame that someone would bill $85 an hour for labor and do such a crappy job.

Default Noise from day one

I have had that same noise from the day i got the bike

I had the same noise after I had removed the front brake pads for inspection.

When I removed the removed the pads a second time, I found that I had not fitted the tip of pads correctly into the caliper the first time. I checked the end of the pad opposite the retaining pin end and I saw where the rubbing had occurred. The retaining pin fit correctly but the tip end had missed its locator slot. When I fitted the pads correctly, the noise disappeared.

If you don't fix the problem, the noise will go away as the edge of the brake pad will be worn away by the brake disk mounting bracket.
    Last edited by ramrider; 03-29-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    If you're luggin, you're crudin.

There shouldn't be any grinding noise. The tolerances are tight for the caliper and sometimes the caliper isn't centered correctly and the housing can rub the rotor!

.....................twin

In HIS Service...........twin

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

****Anti-Aardvark Crusader!!!*****

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.