Sewing on patches
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sewing on patches

Default Sewing on patches

I have decided to place a few meaningful patches on my leather vest....I know it can't be done with a regular needle and thread so whats a guy to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Go to a local shoe repair shop and have them put the patches on. I was very pleased with external patches done by a local guy here.
    VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map
    PM me to be added (thread)
    Treaty of Tripoli: Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...

I called around to many seamstress's. Ask them if they do leather, if they have the needles for leather work, and if it's a vest with inner pockets if they can save the inner pockets instead of sewing threw them.
    BTW, no vest is complete without a Poser Patch.
    2004 VTX 1300C

Club Orange.Everything else is black and white.

Have the patchs put away from the pocket. Then the ladys can do it, you dont need a leather needler. I work at a sewing manufacter, same needle.

Don Hurd
    D'Ray "Take Care"
    D-Ray

Senior Member Highway 61 Revisited's Avatar

Obviously you could sew them on yourself with a leather needle and long-nosed pliers.

There are hobby glues as well, but sew on is best by a tailor or shoe repair place.

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself" -Old Biker's Credo

"I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours" --B. Dylan 0/`j~0

The local leather shop here (where they sell leather biker stuff) has a sewing station in the back where they will sew patches on vests. I've heard of Harley dealers having someone come in once a week or something to sew patches on as well.

Also every big 'biker' event I have been to has at least one person sewing patches on (like rally's, bike shows or swap meets.)

I have a cheap sewing machine I sew them on with, using black thread. They've been on for years. I use a needle for "jeans" or "denim". The needle is sharp as opposed to rounded needles for most fabrics.
    '03 1800R

Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-BBCS12FT4-Fabri-Tac-Permanent-Adhesive-4/dp/B00178MNFO"]http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-BBCS12FT4-Fabri-Tac-Permanent-Adhesive-4/dp/B00178MNFO[/ame]

This stuff works great for putting patches on without stitching. They will not come off. If you are the type that likes to move your patches around then this stuff is not for you as it will ruin your vest if you try to pull the patches off. You can purchase it at Michael's for $8.99 for a 4oz bottle. Also, if you check the Sunday paper, Michael's usually has a 40 or 50% off coupon good for 1 item.

It does take a little prep work to make the patches stick. Take some rubbing alcohol and wet a cloth with it. Use the alcohol dampened rag to wipe down the area you intend to put the patch.This takes the oily/glossy finish off of the surface of the jacket to give the adhesive something to stick to. If the patch has a waxy backing on it wipe down the back of the patch too. The leather and the patch will get a sticky feeling similar to saran wrap once the finish is gone. Let the patch and the leather dry then apply the adhesive to the patch and apply the patch to the leather. It is fully cured in just under 24 hours but I have worn mine on the highway less than 12 hours after application with no problems.
    Last edited by Doc Havoc; 04-06-2010 at 01:36 PM.

I found something online once about sewing patches on leather from some lady who has been doing it for years. I'll try to get a link for ya.
    I remember her saying there is no glue that will hold a patch for a long time, you don't ever want to use cotton thread as it will rot quickly after it mixes with the chemical treatments in the leather.
    2004 VTX 1300C

Club Orange.Everything else is black and white.

Look up seamstress in the yellow pages

They usually charge $2 for small patches, $3 for medium, and $4 for large (Large being Back Patche size).

Some leather shops have the ability to sew them on as well, but usually charge more.. The seamstresses sometimes do it out of their own houses on their own time for an extra few bucks.

-Gonz
    Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
    "Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
    Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."

Default wife

my wife uses her regular old sewing machine , just goes slow no problems.
    texasmike
    1300c 8 degree rake, cobra pipes, c&c seat, darkside and lots more

Somewhere between Fisher,IL and Mahomet,IL

Find out where the high school kids have the letters put on their letterman jackets.
    ENJOY LIFE NOW - IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!

His: 2006 VTX 1800F HK Big 3" Staggered Straights, Mustang Seat.
    Hers: 2003 Shadow A.C.E 750
    Ours: 2006 Honda Goldwing Nav/comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
    I have a cheap sewing machine I sew them on with, using black thread. They've been on for years. I use a needle for "jeans" or "denim". The needle is sharp as opposed to rounded needles for most fabrics.
    This is how I do It. Works well.

2006 Electra-Glide Classic

2003 1300S WITH TOO MUCH TO LIST - GONE

Local dry-cleaners has done all my patches, they did them cheap too..

You can use a normal needle on a sewing machine but you'll end up breaking them. I use a leather needle on my wife's sewing machine that I sort of inherrited off her when I did a automotive upholsterers course a few years back. Using the correct needle will result in less frustration, no needles breaking and a faster job.
    2003 VTX1800C http://www.unitedmotorcyclecouncil.com/
    DISCLAIMER: Warning this Australian may or may not be taking themselves seriously. Listening to Australians may cause you to laugh, have fun, get drunk and shout "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!"

I always have a local alteration shop do mine. They remove the lining to sew them on when there are pockets then stitch the lining back on after. For the back they just sew through the lining too.

Cost me $40 to get all the patches I collected in 2009 put on and I've already got the 2010 collection started.
    "Oh, bother", said Pooh as the tripwire clicked...

Sunset Red '12 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Stage 1 Bassani Mufflers

Re-Homed With hunter2379
    : Black '03 VTX 1800 Retro Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags Tsukayu Fairing Old Inc Classic Tour Pack Roadhouse Classics 2-1 Show Chrome guards Rivco Risers Rivco Passenger boards Darkside Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60R16 1300 final JTD Lowers Cobra Lightbar

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.