Honda VTX Forum banner

Summer Gear - Long ride clothing

5K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  searaven 
#1 ·
OK....I learned a LOT on this trip and one of those things is that even when it's cloudy outside and you ride in a short sleeve and then you cross into another state and the sun comes out you BETTER stop and put on sun screen.!!! I've read somewhere that some people are a bit more sensitive to sun and wear a very thing cotton or poly long sleeved shirt...some call them fishing shirts or something like that. I don't need an increased chance of skin cancer from too much son....so what are these long sleeved shirts really called and where are they in the shopping world?

I also need a new pair of riding boots as I wore my western boots on this trip and while they work very well, I can't see wearing out my good dress boots on motorcycle trips to see my dad. I need them to be $100 or less if possible UNLESS they will last a long time once you buy a good pair.

I wear an 8-1/2 EEE sized boot. ;)

#2 ·
When I travel on long trips in the heat, I wear a Champion cool mesh undershirt (Walmart/Target "special") and then a long-sleeve white cotton t-shirt that I can tuck the sleeves into my riding gloves down by my wrist. And I wear bicycle shorts for underwear to prevent "monkey butt". Any skin exposed (neck/face) gets SPF50 sun block applied regularly.

#3 ·
The long sleeve shirt is very handy to avoid sunburn and with a 8.5 EEE, I would suggest a laceup as slips on in that width might be harder to find. Leatherup.com has some good buys on MC Boots and it is pretty easy to google for coupons for them on a regular basis.

#4 ·
Synthetic long sleeves, they may be fishing, hunting, hiking, whatever. They are a form of technical clothing. You will find them in any outdoor or travel store/site. They are extremely lightweight (ounces), pack to almost nothing, some even have a UV rating, dry extremely fast. Some have vents and other features. For me, same for the pants. I wear 1, carry 1, set regardless of the length of the trip. REI, Sierra Trading Post, Cabela's, are some of many sources.

Here in southern florida in July, shirt and pants.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I also need a new pair of riding boots as I wore my western boots on this trip and while they work very well, I can't see wearing out my good dress boots on motorcycle trips to see my dad. I need them to be $100 or less if possible UNLESS they will last a long time once you buy a good pair.

Since you mention western boots.... Have you tried the Justin work boots? Great non-slip sole, lace-up to help the ol' ankles, and they are - by far - the most comfortable boots I've ever worn (Lucchese's included!). They run about 125, but you'll wear them when you aren't on the bike, too, so well worth it.

#7 ·
Glad you had a safe trip. Hope the visit with Dad was great. I stay pretty covered up riding, textile jacket, gloves, sliders. What I really want is some Chippewa boots.

#9 ·
I'm a all the gear, all the time guy. Here in SW Florida, I wear a regular type shirt , then my Joe Rocket mesh jacket with all the inserts. I have a pair of lighter leather pants cut a tiny bit shorter than normal riding pants which allows for air flow up the leg.

The boots I found were at an outlet store and looked like knockoffs from a name brand. Cost me $30

#10 ·
OK....I learned a LOT on this trip and one of those things is that even when it's cloudy outside and you ride in a short sleeve and then you cross into another state and the sun comes out you BETTER stop and put on sun screen.!!! I've read somewhere that some people are a bit more sensitive to sun and wear a very thing cotton or poly long sleeved shirt...some call them fishing shirts or something like that. I don't need an increased chance of skin cancer from too much son....so what are these long sleeved shirts really called and where are they in the shopping world?

BOOTS? GO THE LEATHERUP.COM. READ TESTEMONIALS FOR SIZING AND QUALITY. :vtx18:

#13 ·
I'm a all the gear, all the time guy. Here in SW Florida, I wear a regular type shirt , then my Joe Rocket mesh jacket with all the inserts. I have a pair of lighter leather pants cut a tiny bit shorter than normal riding pants which allows for air flow up the leg.

The boots I found were at an outlet store and looked like knockoffs from a name brand. Cost me $30
+1 gearing up in Florida!
I try to do the same.... I was really saved by gear once... but the heat... oh the stinking heat... I don't gear up in the 90's.

Molded heels on riding boots, I hung my western boots in my floorboard once... ripped the heel off... I panicked when I couldn't put my foot down..

#14 ·
Boots....

I bought some Georgia Boot Co. "Sport and Trail" boots a couple years ago.
These are 8", with a Vibram (non-slip) sole, with Thinsulate lining. I've been wearing them year-round, in the warmer weather with regular socks, in cold weather with thick cold-weather socks. Super comfortable, not "too hot"
in the summer and No cold feet in the winter. Laced up tight they provide good ankle support, and the thick sole and good sized heel are excellent for pegs (and probably floorboards too). I treated the leather once after I got them and my socks are always dry (a big + in Oregon!). Cost about $90, and
I'll still get another year or two out of them. Then I'll go buy some more just like them.
Good Luck.

#15 ·
REI great shirts SPF 50 is what I wear but you must be a member. I'm sure a simple net search will produce a lot of suppliers. Boots. HD I've had mine 10 years and they still look almost new, well worth the cost. Leather up is good but I like to try before I buy just so I don't have to go through the return thing.

#16 ·
Boots: I bought a plain pair of black leather work boots from JC penney. I went to a shoe repair shop and had vents (two on each side) put in on the low sides that are like shoe lace holes (and similar to old military jungle boots). Super comfortable, vent GREAT! And cheap. When it rains, I can stick those soft ear plugs into them and they seal right up.

Shirt: Long sleeve cotton t-shirt.

#21 ·
Most of the summer...

Wife and I ride with a mesh riding jacket, jeans and cowboy/girl boots and never forget the full face helmets(100% of the time).:thumbup:

I've been rethinking the boots option since the cowboy boots don't have any traction what-so-ever but, any riding boots will cost you some serious $$$.

My thoughts are these...get us an ordinary steel toed work boots for @ <100:dontknow:

When I'm riding solo to work, I only have a tank-top, jeans and cowboy boots, of course a full faced helmet:mrgreen:

I keep a jacket in the saddle bag just in case it might get chilly on the way home.:thumbup:

#22 ·
I bought a pair of Dickies Work Boots in Black when I got my bike.. They were only $50 and still look new after 2 years. They are pretty comfortable as well.

#23 ·
Wife and I ride with a mesh riding jacket, jeans and cowboy/girl boots and never forget the full face helmets(100% of the time).:thumbup:

I've been rethinking the boots option since the cowboy boots don't have any traction what-so-ever but, any riding boots will cost you some serious $$$.

My thoughts are these...get us an ordinary steel toed work boots for @ <100:dontknow:

When I'm riding solo to work, I only have a tank-top, jeans and cowboy boots, of course a full faced helmet:mrgreen:

I keep a jacket in the saddle bag just in case it might get chilly on the way home.:thumbup:
Get you some rubber sole cowboy boots ariat and justin make nice ones. Ariat has 2 different styles of motorcycle boots, they claim the sole will out last the boot. Ive had mine over 3 years and are still in great shape and I wear them constantly.

#24 ·
Sounds like your guys ARE riding naked.

In my twenties I rode in a tee shirt, shorts, and sandals in the summer.

Now, when I'm on my bike, I don't have any exposed skin. Full coverage helmet, armored jacket, kevlar pants with armor, gloves, and boots. I think I've gotten scary in my old age. My goal is to be an armadillo.

Yeah, yeah. I know. If I come off the bike at 80 mph I'll still be dead BUT I'll look good. Ha. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.