How to change oil and filter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change oil and filter

Default How to change oil and filter

Hello Gents,

My 2007 VTX 1300 R has 7000 miles on it. Last time the oil was change at 800 miles and was done by the dealer.

Is there a step-by-step instruction to change oil and filter?

Also please suggest if what oil / filter to be bought.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
    Look on the left side of the page.......
    2008 1800T - Spec 1 - Two-tone Black ,Candy Black Cherry - Honda Light Bar - Cobra Tach - Cobra Fatty's - Ulimate Big Boy - 10-40 Amsoil - 75-90 Amsoil - Metzeler's .....

Default Oil Change

1. Run the engine a few minutes. 2. Place 5 quart oil holder under bike(About 3 bucks from Wally World). 3. 16mm socket to unscrew oil plugs(2 of them-1 under bike and 1 lower left side of engine. 4. Unscrew and keep and eye on the crush washers. When stops dripping slide the container back and unscrew the filter. 5. Put everything back in you just took out and don't over tighten. 6. Pour 4 qts. in the engine. When the last qt. starts to drip when pouring, stop, you're real close to 3.9.
    You'll get a bunch of advice on types of filters and oil. I use Honda and with 36,000 on my 06 it doesn't use a drop, so I think I'll just keep that routine. Honda says 8000 between changes. To me that's a stretch so I change every 4000. ooops, everything back you took out means a new filter. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop ... View Post
    http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
    Look on the left side of the page.......
    That's a very good link. Also if you have the manual it has a step by step.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bike jib View Post
    Honda says 8000 between changes. To me that's a stretch so I change every 4000.
    Except I do 5k intervals with full synthetic. The engine, trans, and clutch all operate in this fluid and I ride the he[[ out of it. Just gives me piece of mind. I haven't sent it out for analysis or anything.

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    support your
    LOCAL 81

I would also recomend reading Tappers oil article in the "how to, step by step" section for what kind of oil to use. Most people seem to go with either Mobile 1 or Amsoil.

For oil filters... I go with Purolator PL14610 PureONE oil filter because I have gotten feedback from some pretty experienced people both motorcylce and otherwise who think Purolator makes great filters, but there are other good filters out there as well, but stay away from Fram filters for sure. I think there is some stuff on the "how to, step by step" section as well on oil filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman View Post
    Hello Gents,

My 2007 VTX 1300 R has 7000 miles on it. Last time the oil was change at 800 miles and was done by the dealer.

Is there a step-by-step instruction to change oil and filter?

Also please suggest if what oil / filter to be bought.

Thanks
    Any Honda MC dealer can sell you the right filter.
    Greg in SE Virginia
    2000 Harley UC
    Gone, but not forgotten: VTX1300S, VTX1800C, Aero 750 (couch on wheels)

Default Oil Change

When draining your oil just get an aluminum turkey pan from Walmart. Slips right under and when your done you can put the old oil in the containers that you got with the new oil. Most automotive shops will accept your old oil for recycling.

As for the throwaway pan put it in a plastic bag and your all set for the next oil change.

Don't forget to use new crush gaskets.

Default Ocassionally Bike does not start

My 2007 VTX 1300 R does not start some times. The battery is not the problem. Even when I tried to jump it, the bike does not start.

I have checked the pet-cock, choke, etc. and they look okay. Couple of times it started with choke on but died in a minute. COuld this be a carb problem??

I am not an expert and scared to touch the carb. Could some one give me some tips to fix the issue?

Thanks.

With all due respect get a manual either hard copy or disc , with it and this forum you will get miles O smiles. good luck

Does it turn over but not fire...or just not turn over.
    Have you checked to see if your bike is on the recall list for the petcock problem.

Make : HONDA Model : VTX1300 Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Mfr's Report Date : MAR 25, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V141000 N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE DELIVERY
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 38934
    Summary:
    HONDA IS RECALLING 38,934 MY 2006-2007 VT600 AND MY 2007-2008 VT750 AND VTX1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE AN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM AND THE FUEL VALVE MAY DRIP FUEL.
    Consequence:
    IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, DRIPPING FUEL POSES THE RISK OF FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM ASSEMBLY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT APRIL 10, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. Q75. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.