Honda VTX Forum banner

Darkside...boy times have changed.

9K views 223 replies 64 participants last post by  twin1300 
#1 ·
Thanks to some great friends and some people willing to try it....good times have come to those who inquire about the darkside! Glad people can post and get great data without being washed away with random excessive posts.

Congrats on all those that have done it and the 1800 guys that have went before us 1300's.

And a special thanks to Daniel Meyer for letting us in on the greatest secret we could do to our cruisers! Thanks

Darkside Rulz!

.......................twin

#77 ·
and since i am in a post whoring mood today it seems.

A buddy and i are talking about accomplishing a 100ccc ironbutt event. and if we were to do this event, because of the shear mileage involved, we are contemplating putting a ct on the rear, since the most of the miles will be interstate, straight lines and not the 2 lane twisties that are the normal diet of our machines when on extended road trips. Why should we square off a good MC when a CT is so much cheaper (oh... there is a core issue here some place i can feel it)

I know... now you darkside evangelists pick up your jaw from the floor.

Congrats sir and then you will have a real opinion to the pro's and con's of the car tire! If you need any help, just let me know. There have been worse reason's to try the darkside! If you give it an honest shot, it will make a believer out of you and you will see that we still use the same physics you and the MT do. Just better!

..............................twin

#78 ·
Twin,

take a moment and reread what i wrote, since it is so very obvious that you didnt the first time.

please please please... point out where i sad take your hands off of the bars.

go ahead, i am waiting....

......................................... still waiting.

I think you are just trolling for a reaction, and i will happily call you out when you post stupid ****.

If you are trying to say that the handling properties of a CT Vs a MC are 100% the same.... your wrong. (for all others that are not twin, please note i am not saying that you will crash and burn with a ct, just pointing out that there is a handling difference, one that twin is for some reason,only known to him, he is blind to see.)

I dont know why you are so blind to this fact, why you are so blatantly aggressive in your posts and in general act like an ******* about this topic. I tried to be civil with you on this mater, but you have now attacked me twice, both times ignoring what i posted and just made up crap to fit your current state of mind.

I think twin has more than proved that the general attitude (at least twin) has not changed, it just that people are tired of twins crap, and his lack of ability to even discuss this topic. Hell i almost didn't want to even reply to this thread started by twin that just turned into a ct circle jerk fest.

Once again i invite you to please point out where i said that riding a ct on a bike like the VTX is going to end in disaster, all i have posted is a FACT that the handling characteristic of a ct are different than a mc.

it seems like twin sees this as an attack on his choice... and sadly he then reacts like most small minded people when their personal choices are called out... denial, with overly aggressive reply's.
By the way..you are correct sir! I made a bad assumption!

My appologies when I am wrong!

So, I will address you answer this way...the car tire stays just where I put in a turn until I add input to the bars just like a MT. That's the truth!

...................twin

#79 ·
and since i am in a post whoring mood today it seems.

A buddy and i are talking about accomplishing a 100ccc ironbutt event. and if we were to do this event, because of the shear mileage involved, we are contemplating putting a ct on the rear, since the most of the miles will be interstate, straight lines and not the 2 lane twisties that are the normal diet of our machines when on extended road trips. Why should we square off a good MC when a CT is so much cheaper (oh... there is a core issue here some place i can feel it)

I know... now you darkside evangelists pick up your jaw from the floor.
Don't know any CT evangelists. Evangelists push their ideas and ways on other people. We do ride what we are talking about and are willing to share useful information with others. Really a shame that you have no idea what you are talking about. Just makes you look more the fool.
Now, if you try it and don't like it, your opinion will have earned respect because then your opinion will have credence. Now- well not so much!
BTW what is a 100ccc IB run? Or don't you proof read either?

#80 ·
What i would like to say, and this is just for me. There is a sence of ease, comfort and security with the CT that i never had with a bike tire. Hard to ex plane a feeling. I ride because of the way it makes me feel..... :popcorn:

#81 ·
I've read a lot of these threads, mostly for the amusement. This one started out being informative and conciliatory, and then the inevitable happened. As Yogi said, "it's like deja vu all over again".

Something I don't recall reading in any of the threads though, and it might just soothe some of the naysayers, wouldn't a CT have better braking performance than a MT? I mean there's probably something like 4 times more tread on the ground with a CT. Wouldn't that make the CT tire less likely to lock up?

Another question I have is, do sealed spokes ever begin to leak? I need to replace my tires this year, and although I've got a brand new pair of Metzlers sitting in the garage, I wouldn't rule out going to a CT and selling the rear Metz.

#82 ·
Can't help you with the spoke question. But I will tell you that on "my" bike, I have a ton more breaking "stickiness", and that same stickiness applies when I get on the throttle and pop the clutch.

I assume it has to do with the extra tread in contact with the ground. I also feel much more confident riding in the wet. The reason for that becomes obvious when you compare the many sipes on a CT to a MT.

I went to the CT after many weeks of research and study. Then to prove to myself that my feelings of added confidence on the CT weren't imagined, I made these to give me a birds eye view. :thumbup:

#84 ·
I've watched your vids before Key and was impressed.

Another reason I'd seriously consider switching is because I hate having people work on my vehicles. Jon is the only person I feel comfortable wrenching on m bike and he doesn't do tire changes. So if a CT means having to change rear tires out 3 or 4 times less often, and it's a safe alternative, what would not be attractive about that?

Sealed spokes would also give me the option of fixing a flat along side the road instead of calling for a wrecker.

There's lots of good reasons to switch, but I'd sure like to hear some testimony from others who have sealed their spokes, and how many miles/seasons they've gone without problems.

#86 ·
To VTOX.
Tref, I should be down within the month to see you. You are more than welcome to ride my scoot and give DDS a try. As far as sealing the spokes- if done properly you should not have a leak for a LONG time. The new sealers are pretty remarkable.
And yes- Jon will do tire changes (with my help of course :lol:). Problem would be the wheel seal. But you can run a tube too. Things to consider.

#87 ·
Something I don't recall reading in any of the threads though, and it might just soothe some of the naysayers, wouldn't a CT have better braking performance than a MT? I mean there's probably something like 4 times more tread on the ground with a CT. Wouldn't that make the CT tire less likely to lock up?

I can almost stop as good in the rain and wet riding as a MT can in the dry! The reason why is the softer rubber of the car tire. Soft is grip! 5+ years on the darkside on my second tire! NOT one issue other than I get tired of looking at them before I wear them out and want another tire! LOL

Here's a link to my test.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/...-205-and-dunniepics-added?highlight=durometer

.............twin

#88 ·
I've watched your vids before Key and was impressed.

Another reason I'd seriously consider switching is because I hate having people work on my vehicles. Jon is the only person I feel comfortable wrenching on m bike and he doesn't do tire changes. So if a CT means having to change rear tires out 3 or 4 times less often, and it's a safe alternative, what would not be attractive about that?

Sealed spokes would also give me the option of fixing a flat along side the road instead of calling for a wrecker.

There's lots of good reasons to switch, but I'd sure like to hear some testimony from others who have sealed their spokes, and how many miles/seasons they've gone without problems.
Well I am relatively new to it this year, but sealed my Spokes with the 3M 5200 and have put about 1200 miles on my GYTT so far this year and love it! I sealed each nipple of the spokes first then put the overall coat on after the nipples dried for a couple of days. I have had zero leaks of air and the ride is great!

#89 ·
I had a GYTT on my 1300 and had about 5,000 miles on it before I moved on to my 1800. I was so impressed with the tire on the 1300 that I installed one on the 1800 before the bike even hit 1,000 miles. I gave the MT to a friend that needed a tire.:dontknow:

Phil (TennX)... is one of the most honorable men I have ever met. He has helped more people on this board than I would care to count ... myself being included. He does not deserve any grief from anyone.

#91 ·
My $.02 ... I just went darkside on Friday the 13th of May. I've put 70,000 miles on my 03 1800R on five or six sets of Dunlop E3 tires and have never had any handling or performance issues with them. I've even managed 13,000 to 15,000 miles out of most sets (except once due to road hazard). I (and Mike of Bareass Choppers) installed a Goodyear Assurance tripletread 205/60/16 and I've put about 200 miles on it so far. Big difference in ride - bumps in road are softer in the rear. Still feel the front wheel hit hard, but when the rear tire hits same bump, much softer. If the roadway leans one way for rain runoff, then the bike must be leaned opposite the roadway's lean in order to stay on the road - with CT, this require more input to the bars to tilt the bike. High speed curves - feels really good. Low speed tight curves - more input, but feels solid. Extreme low speed turning (stop sign, parking lot, etc.) - much more countersteer to get bike leaning initially, but stays put without fighting and comes upright very easily. I think the recommended "break-in" period that all darksiders suggest to new darksiders is to let the rider get accustomed to the changes as much as to scuff up the new tire. Just like changing to a different bike after riding another bike for years, it takes a while for your major muscle groups and your inner ear (balance) to adjust to the difference and get comfortable with it. I'll be in North Carolina for the Memorial Day week and I'll give it a good workout in the Smokies.

#92 ·
so, why the name calling? did I upset you in some way? how did that make you feel?

I asked the guy a very legitimate and on topic question, asking for him to expand in what ways is handling "better" on a ct vs a mc.

the honorable twin demanded nothing less from me, and when confronted with facts, he resulted to a sophomoric attitude.... are you now doing the same?
I didnt mention any one by name..:mrgreen: and Twin is most respected on here...:thumbup:

I had a GYTT on my 1300 and had about 5,000 miles on it before I moved on to my 1800. I was so impressed with the tire on the 1300 that I installed one on the 1800 before the bike even hit 1,000 miles. I gave the MT to a friend that needed a tire.:dontknow:

Phil (TennX)... is one of the most honorable men I have ever met. He has helped more people on this board than I would care to count ... myself being included. He does not deserve any grief from anyone.
Thanks Len, there will always be doubters/haters/potstirrers etc.etc.......:dontknow:"Darkside,if you dont ride it,you dont know"....

#95 ·
No mistake here, if you ever bring your azz to memphis Im easy to find and you can try mine out....nojoke

This started out as a great thread , but as usual theres always some naysayers trying to start chit about something that many of us have proven works...you guys need to find something better to do...:thumbup:
hey tenn,
i will be coming thru your area for memorial day weekend heading to forrest city, arkansas. will be in the area till june 3rd, lets try and hook up, here is my cell. 304-707-5246

#98 ·
What i would like to say, and this is just for me. There is a sence of ease, comfort and security with the CT that i never had with a bike tire. Hard to ex plane a feeling. I ride because of the way it makes me feel..... :popcorn:
I am a very secure and well adjusted individual, I don't need a CT to help me out in that regard. ;):lol:

I like the BT020 200/60R16 it sticks like glue for wheelies or braking, wet or dry better than any tire I have tried.

I may however try one, one day as I am not vehemently opposed to the CT on a bike and can see that some or most like it. The last time I bought 3 at once and with 2 bikes to ride the X gets less ridden so it will be a while. I have almost worn out one of them so 2 to go and then we will see.

I am glad to see twin1300 posting more again.:doorag:

#99 ·
hey tenn,
i will be coming thru your area for memorial day weekend heading to forrest city, arkansas. will be in the area till june 3rd, lets try and hook up, here is my cell. 304-707-5246
That would be great but I will be in Wyoming if things work out.....:thumbup:
WOW going all the way to Wyoming to avoid tiny.

:joke:

#101 ·
I had one on a GL1800 and have ridden a few cruiser-style bikes with car tires. Have also mounted a few for other people.

Is it just me, or does it take several hundred miles to "break in" a brand new car tire? It's like ya gotta to round it up a bit before it acts right?

:dontknow:

One other thing that I always wondered was if the heavier car tire has a detrimental effect on wheel bearings. Not that I've ever heard or read anything like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.