Honda VTX Forum banner

Headlight bulb options?

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Speargun41 
#1 ·
I currently have a phillips h4 ed bulb in my 1300. It seems bright enough but I am curious what my options are. I want to keep the same factory headlight assembly but just change out the bulb.

Thanks

#29 ·
Can you use a headlight modulator with an HID???

Nick:tools:
I dont know but I bet those ignitors are gonna heat up....lol I dont think they would cycle at that speed, if so, I would be impressed with the starters.

#30 ·
Can you use a headlight modulator with an HID???

Nick:tools:
Not really, it will kill the ballast (from what i have been told)....
There are a few "down sides" that i have experienced with my DDM kit...

1) The initial HID kit install takes a few minutes longer (10 - 15) than just swapping one bulb for another. If you have the ability to do an oil change, you can do an HID conversion IMO...
2) There are times that the on/off caused by the starter has disabled my HID... I have to switch the key off when this occurs, then while holding the starter button flip the key back on preventing the HID from switching on/off/on and causing it to go into protection...
This problem sucks but is easy enough to solve by build a quick delay circuit which is more time consuming... With that said, i think this is more of a problem with my particular unit as i have never heard anyone else mention this...
3) Replacement HID bulbs are cheap from the interweb but not as easy to come by at retail stores if in a bind

With these downside i still will not give up my HID and go back to a halogen... During the day, people comment on how bright it is (more cagers see me). At night i can see SIGNIFICANTLY better with my single light and it does not seem to bother oncoming traffic (no one flashes me)

Just my $0.02

#31 ·

1) The initial HID kit install takes a few minutes longer (10 - 15) than just swapping one bulb for another. If you have the ability to do an oil change, you can do an HID conversion IMO...
2) There are times that the on/off caused by the starter has disabled my HID... I have to switch the key off when this occurs, then while holding the starter button flip the key back on preventing the HID from switching on/off/on and causing it to go into protection...
This problem sucks but is easy enough to solve by build a quick delay circuit which is more time consuming... With that said, i think this is more of a problem with my particular unit as i have never heard anyone else mention this...
3) Replacement HID bulbs are cheap from the interweb but not as easy to come by at retail stores if in a bind

With these downside i still will not give up my HID and go back to a halogen... During the day, people comment on how bright it is (more cagers see me). At night i can see SIGNIFICANTLY better with my single light and it does not seem to bother oncoming traffic (no one flashes me)

Just my $0.02
I haven't had the problem you mention so far in 2 seasons for number 2 with my DDM kit

#32 ·

Just my $0.02

i have never had a start problem with the kit from ndana. also the bulbs can be bought from ndana also

#33 ·
I bought some bright white bulb imported from germany - too lazy to go out and look at the brand name right now, but the selling point was something along the lines of 'the euro measurement for lumens will make for a brighter light versus an american bulb' or something like that.

B as in B. S as in S.

#34 ·
I have cars with HID's and have Silverstars in one other. The Silverstars in my Mustang don't even come close to the brightness level of my other cars HID's. I can't imagine they'd be any better for a bike over HID's either. The math is easy. A Silverstar @ 90% brighter is still not twice as bright as the original bulb, whereas, the 35W HID system is already 3x brighter out of the gate (55W is ~5x brighter). Just my $.02.

Having said all that, is it safe to assume the VTX uses the H4 hi/lo application listed on DDM's website?

#35 ·
I have cars with HID's and have Silverstars in one other. The Silverstars in my Mustang don't even come close to the brightness level of my other cars HID's. I can't imagine they'd be any better for a bike over HID's either. The math is easy. A Silverstar @ 90% brighter is still not twice as bright as the original bulb, whereas, the 35W HID system is already 3x brighter out of the gate (55W is ~5x brighter). Just my $.02.

Having said all that, is it safe to assume the VTX uses the H4 hi/lo application listed on DDM's website?
Yes and yes...
I've run both a silverstar and the HID....no comparison. The the 35 watt HID kills the silverstar...no contest, not even remotely close. Saves power too for my heated gear. Cold dark night = win/win.
No offense to the silverstar guys...it was a good option when HID kits cost 300 bucks, but now that they are in the 40 dollar range, to me it's a no-brainer.

The DDM h4 kit fits all vtx's. The ballast, relay fits nicely behind the neck covers. Easy install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.