Value of 1946 Indian Chief
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value of 1946 Indian Chief

Default Value of 1946 Indian Chief

A buddy's cousin has just inherited a 1946 Indian Chief. Was willed to him from his grandpa. The cousin doesn't ride and is kinda stumped on what he will do with it. He said he might "put it together". When I asked my buddy what his cousin meant by that I was told the bike has been stored in its original crate since gramps bought it. Also gramps was a collector of cars and had the crate stored in climate controlled garage along with other unknown numbers of classic cars. I am asking for pictures because the story is hard to believe.

IF (and that is a huge if), if this is true, what monetary value would ya'll place on this bike? To me, this is unheard of and possibly one of a kind so comparing to a rebuild is apples to fig newtons.

Thoughts!?!?

Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations, that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of a free and undivided Republic. ~John A. Logan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

If the story is true, and it is in super condition, I would guess some where between $25,000 - $35,000 Maybe more to the right collector

Pittsburgh, Pa. U.S. Navy Retired (22yos), 99 Valkyrie I/S (02 VTX1800 - Sold 2011) )

And I'm guessing it would be worth a tad more in the original crate.... sounds like it has never left it....
    John

a buddy of mine just sold his "restored" 1948 Indian on fleabay for $19,400. With the right collector, a truly crated '46 could go much higher, I'm thinking even higher than $30k... Very cool story!

Later,
    U-Turn
    "Just remember that no matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Silver - 2006 VTX 1300 S - Solo Setup, JM Hardbags, Roadburner Double Eagle SLTs, Reckless fairing with Sony stereo and speakers, Twin Chrome Magnum Stebels - More to come...

If it were me I would look around for some reputable collectors. That is not just another bike and appraising it for a realistic value is going to require more than opinions from guys here. Unless someone can chime in who is a collector.
    Dan

Tell your buddy's cousin NOT to take it out of the original crate. Then seek out professional classic motorcyle appraisers.
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!
    States I've visited on a MC

'04 VTX1800C, magenta dress
    '06 Goldwing, dark red comfort package

Quote Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
    Tell your buddy's cousin NOT to take it out of the original crate. Then seek out professional classic motorcyle appraisers.
    The crate alone could be worth several thousand dollars to the right collector.
    I have seen original Indian chief's that have been riding with miles go for $30-50k.
    If this story is true... your buddy hit a mini-lottery
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

A couple of weeks ago I met a man at a gas stop who was filling
    up a 1948 Indian , he said it was new , the bike had been restored with only 400 miles previously put on it before the restoration, he had just acquired it and was going for his first ride and planed to put 50 miles on it that day

I didn't ask how much he paid for it but i did have my daughter take a picture with her camera and will try to post a photo of the bike soon
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=950

According to Vintage Motorcycle Magazine and 1946 Chief which was the only model offered that year with a 74 cu. in motor has a range of $7K to $35K.

That is for condition 1 through 7. 1 is the best which must be restored to perfection.

For a good guess it may fall between a 2 to 3 which would be $21K to $28K

Even if in the crate and stored well. It is very likely to need work and would not command a 1 rating.

There was a motorcycle dealer in Europe who didn't like to sell his bikes. When he died they found many new Nortons in crates and other makes. they went to auction but I never heard about the results.
    All women are beautiful and some are more beautiful than others.

A 1946 Indian Chief "stored in it's original crate since [your relative] bought it?!?! OMG, a NEW 2010 Chief purchased today would be at least $30K -- but this is unbelievably an original REAL Indian that's never been ridden. That's got to be the rarest of all rare bikes if it's brand new in mint condition; kind of like something placed in a hermetically-sealed time capsule. I can't believe you would or should get anything less than $50,000.

As somebody else said, leave it in the box, don't touch it. But FIRST, DO find an authentic, bona fide reputable motorcycle appraiser and have HIM give you an idea. Actually go online and contact that PBS show "Antiques Roadshow." THEY should give you a line on the most professional vehicle appraisers -- you need the absolutely most reputable. I bet they'd even fly to you to see it for themselves.

WhatEVER you do, don't tell anybody. Oh, this forum. Uh, too late... Funny, I bet your grandfather paid all of $3,000 for it brand new. Please keep us informed about what is happening on this once-in-a-lifetime find!!
    Mike
    Pearl Orange 2003 (Inaugural Year) 1300S Retro

with whats posted above don't touch a darn thing!

Oh yea and until you post pictures its just another 70 Hemi Cuda convertible in the barn next door story
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Tell him to contact Jay Leno...
    2007 1300R Titanium, de-badged, Coyote gas cap hinge, National Cycle highway bars, progressive 412, loud ass Stebel horn, Batwing, Harley Aux Lights, Rivco solo rack and some Pony paint..

Man I bet Jay Leno's people are already all over that collection......
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside /Foots Mod......

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    Man I bet Jay Leno's people are already all over that collection......
    Considering what we're talking about and knowing what a motorcycle aficionado and collector Jay Leno is, he WOULD most certainly love to have that bike. And what's more, that sucker would peel off $100,000 for it faster than you or I would buy a $2 bottle of water and with just about the same financial concern.
    Mike

I personally would contact Indian Motorcycles directly to see what they think. Big time collectors as well would be interested in that. In the crate? That is epic!
    2007 VTX 1300C
    - All sorts of shiny comfy bits to make it mine.

wayne

It does no good in a box, heck, I would have it together and running. Thats ofcorse after the engine was gone thru, and the dried out gaskets and seals.

Quote Originally Posted by adamrol2 View Post
    I am asking for pictures because the story is hard to believe.

Thoughts!?!?

Sounds like a good STORY.

I kinda doubt you'll EVER see pics.
    http://vnvmcia.com

"You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the universe is laughing behind your back." -- Deteriorata by Tony Hendra

I think he should give it to me....
    M STAR KMA

Quote Originally Posted by mark_1bx View Post
    I think he should give it to me....
    Mike

I just remembered on a similar note, back in the day we had a long time triumph dealer who had sold his dealer ship and had just a small shop for mods and repairs,when he passed in the late 90"s the relatives checked his shop they found a large number of bikes still in the crates..... from the late 60's earlier 70's.
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside /Foots Mod......

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    I just remembered on a similar note, back in the day we had a long time triumph dealer who had sold his dealer ship and had just a small shop for mods and repairs,when he passed in the late 90"s the relatives checked his shop they found a large number of bikes still in the crates..... from the late 60's earlier 70's.
    Wow -- like forgotton quarters at the bottom of your sock drawer...
    Mike

In the crate and well preserved I'm thinking 50k to 100k, because some collector is going to want it REALLY badly and that is going to start a bidding war.

It probably the only one of its kind... I'll give you 10k for it sight unseen j/k

High NADA value is $33,625. But, since this a very, very unique situation you can probably throw that out the window. It needs a professional, hands-on appraisal by professionals.

As far as stupid drivers are concerned, it's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Wow -- like forgotton quarters at the bottom of your sock drawer...
    You have a whole drawer just for socks?

How many feet 'ya got?
    2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    You have a whole drawer just for socks?

How many feet 'ya got?
    C'mon -- we're still talkin' about a brand new 1940's Indian Chief motorcycle here. OMG, FOCUS man.... FOCUS!!

P.S. haha - But yes I do and VERY coincidentally I SWEAR on my parents' graves I just bought some more socks this morning at Costco.
    Mike

He should get rid of that hunk of junk. Just give it to me and I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly. Bikes in their crates aren't worth $.10.
    '03 VTX 1300S, Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid 205/65R15 CT, HID Headlight, DG Roadburner 2.5" Street Pro's, Kury HC Pro, Kury Deep Dish Bezels,Kury ISO Grips, Modified License Plate Bracket, Glen's A/F Permanent Screw, Pair Valve, SCAR mod, Woody's Fairing, Mutazu bags, NC Paladin Engine Guards, Rudy Seat, and Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post

M STAR KMA

Sounds to me like that bike is a one of one.

Value?

It all depends on how bad someone wants it.
    Its been a long road: 1800S, 1800N, 1800T, 1300S, 1800GW, Rune, FLHT, FXDSE2, FLHR, FXDF, FLHRSE5, FLHTUSE, VT1100C3 (2)

The VTXs are gone but not forgotten.

Here is the 48 Indian with only 400 miles on it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.