Honda VTX Forum banner

Hurricane Irene

7K views 100 replies 45 participants last post by  MR VTX 
#1 ·
Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the east coast from North Carolina to New England. State of Emergency's have been declared in some states already. My house in PA can see 60-80mph winds and heavy rains. I never thought living that far from the coast could still be seriously affected. I work for the power company in NJ and we are preparing to be working for possibly weeks to restore power.

Sad thing is that from about Virginia and north, people aren't used to seeing hurricanes, so no one is really prepared. Some are still willing to ride it out or sort of gaffing it off.

Anyone else being hit by this b*tch of a storm?

To keep it bike related: Be sure to protect your VTX from the storm winds and rain this weekend!

#2 ·
NH seacoast area. Stocking up on gas and testing the generator today. The bike is going in the basement...I love that oversized door the previous owner installed.

#4 ·
hey Hobbit, me too..I work in NYC for Con Ed but fortunately, I am off..small tear of my right meniscus so I will be missing the storm....you shouldnt be too bad being in Pa, Im about 5 miles west of Long island sound...New Rochelle area...but I feel for the Long Island boys...there going to get it...hey Hooky...If ya need a hand out there, lmk buddy....hope everyone stays safe during the storm......Dallas

#5 ·
If you are without power you may also be without water ...

Figure out how you're going to flush the commode ...

If it's yellow,
let it mellow.
If it's brown,
flush it down.

This will be particularly important after day three ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

#6 ·
Been through couple of Hurricanes.

Fill up pitchers or any type of container with water for drinking.

Fill your tubs with water...For flushing. Guys, just piss outside.

Fill your propane tanks up for cooking and boiling water.

Fill up any empty plastic bottles now with water and freeze them, so when power goes out you can use them to keep the freezer colder longer, or use them in ice chests. Ice sells very quick after the storm is gone and power is out. Frozen plastic bottles last awhile.

Get yourself a battery operated weather radio :thumbup:

Don't forget lighters or matches.

#8 ·

Fill up any empty plastic bottles now with water and freeze them, so when power goes out you can use them to keep the freezer colder longer, or use them in ice chests. Ice sells very quick after the storm is gone and power is out. Frozen plastic bottles last awhile.

ice :agree: ice :agree: ice :agree: ice

If you have an old mp3 player with a radio function and a set of ear phones ... get out a couple of them now (locate your local radio station on the dial .. ) with appropriate batteries ...

The batteries last "forever" ...

This is a very big, slow moving storm ...

:dontknow: :crew: :dontknow:

#9 ·

We get hit pretty regularly down here. Mojoguy hit most of the high points. A few items that we found helpful:

Candles, kerosene lanterns or other source of non-battery light.

A non-electric coffee pot (old fashion, stove top model)

A deck of cards or other games to kill time.

A 12 volt TV (if you don't have a generator)

#10 ·
If this is your first major storm you are going to discover where all your leaks are ...

Sponge and bucket ... lots of towels .. this is summer ...

Put "the plug in the jug" and don't do stupid $#!+ ...

Folks tend to get restless, irritable and discontent when "life as they understand it" is interrupted ... and then they hurt themselves and others ...

#11 ·
Lock up the X in a safe deposit box..........................:p

SAVE THE X.........................

#13 ·
I've made prepartions to take the scooter up to a coworker's house, who has a garage. I'm safe from water/storm surge where I am now, but I'm more concerned about wind damage/flying debri. If it follows the European Model (I Love European Models), it'll head up the bay, and give it to Md in the ole keister. Couple that with a high tide, and things get ugly in a hurry, which is precisely what happened with Isabel. Isabel was only a Tropical Storm when it hit back then. They're talking full blown Cat. 3. Shnykies!

#14 ·
Thanks for the warning brother Hobb. My x has been sitting outside under a cover for a month. My garage is taken over by a couple of projects. Time to make rom and bring her inside. I dint know we were getting 80 mph wind. Ithought just rain. Looks like I gvot some work to .
B safe everyone!
Ghost

#16 ·
We get hit pretty regularly down here. Mojoguy hit most of the high points. A few items that we found helpful:

Candles, kerosene lanterns or other source of non-battery light.

A non-electric coffee pot (old fashion, stove top model)

A deck of cards or other games to kill time.

A 12 volt TV (if you don't have a generator)
Hmmm....the last major storm of any consequence to hit the eastern Florida coast was in 1992....Hurricane Andrew.....was a huge deal that tore the southeast Florida area to pieces....

What is it that you get hit 'pretty regularly' by?

A 12 volt TV does not work anymore since the digital switch got flipped by the FCC two years ago. Your other suggestions work well.

#17 ·
Hmmm....the last major storm of any consequence to hit the eastern Florida coast was in 1992....Hurricane Andrew.....was a huge deal that tore the southeast Florida area to pieces....

A 12 volt TV does not work anymore since the digital switch got flipped by the FCC two years ago. Your other suggestions work well.

:dontknow: most everything that wanders into the gulf, across the state or up the east coast ... :dontknow:

:dontknow: storm surge and hi-water ... :dontknow:

:dontknow: tornado like events :dontknow:

These are huge storms and your "outer bands" can be as catastrophic as a tropical storm ...

... and Miami gets it all (MOL) ...

A few years ago the Melbourne, FL area got 36 inches of rain in 36 hours ...

Most of the coast of Florida is a result of large metropolitan areas, artificial urban, urban sprawl, residential and agricultural development that has destroyed the natural ecology and ability to recover.

Man made need and greed ... and desire for immediate gratification and corporate profits have trumped simple sanity.

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

#18 ·
I've made prepartions to take the scooter up to a coworker's house, who has a garage. I'm safe from water/storm surge where I am now, but I'm more concerned about wind damage/flying debri. If it follows the European Model (I Love European Models), it'll head up the bay, and give it to Md in the ole keister. Couple that with a high tide, and things get ugly in a hurry, which is precisely what happened with Isabel. Isabel was only a Tropical Storm when it hit back then. They're talking full blown Cat. 3. Shnykies!
Steve....relax a little.

Isabel in 2003 came right up the bay which pushed alot of water. This one is on a different track up the coast. It's gonna get windy and wet but not like Isabel. I would bet that we are gonna lose power for a day or two though, if not longer.

1. Have some non perishable food ready. PB and J, cans of tuna, those microwaveable lunch stuff things which also taste great without zapping them, cans of Chef Boy R Dee things like that, bottled water. Warm beer is better than no beer.

2. A couple of decent flashlights and extra batteries.

3. A battery radio....this is very important otherwise you are just sittin there with no power and no link to the world which really sux.

#24 ·

Some that come to mind that hit us directly,

1995 - Erin (cat 1)
1998 - Mitch (cat 5 that brushed the coast)
2004 - Charlie (cat 1), Francis (cat 3), Jeanne (cat2) All in a five week period, some 100+ MPH winds)
2006 - Wilma (cat 1 here)
2008 - Fay (Tropical storm that rained 25 inches on us in less than eight hours

We threw our old analog 12 Volt TV away and last year bought a new 12V digital...they are available.

#25 ·
Some that come to mind that hit us directly,

1995 - Erin (cat 1)
1998 - Mitch (cat 5 that brushed the coast)
2004 - Charlie (cat 1), Francis (cat 3), Jeanne (cat2) All in a five week period, some 100+ MPH winds)
2006 - Wilma (cat 1 here)
2008 - Fay (Tropical storm that rained 25 inches on us in less than eight hours

We threw our old analog 12 Volt TV away and last year bought a new 12V digital...they are available.
That's great on the TV that's good info. Sorry that it rains and blows sometimes on the east coast of Florida. If it doesn't make the national news there is no way for anyone to know about it. I have friends and family in Daytona and none of them ever mentioned any of your storms as being a problem or disruption in their lives, and that's just up the street from where you are.

But whatever you say......

#26 ·
That's great on the TV that's good info. Sorry that it rains and blows sometimes on the east coast of Florida. If it doesn't make the national news there is no way for anyone to know about it. I have friends and family in Daytona and none of them ever mentioned any of your storms as being a problem or disruption in their lives, and that's just up the street from where you are. I used to live there.
Thats just part of the price we pay so we can live in a mosquito infested swamp. 2004 was the worst. We were without electricity for a total of 47 days. Frances heavily damaged my brother's house in Satellite Beach and Jeanne finished it off...there wasn't much left. The other storms did some damage to my house and took out most of the trees in the yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.