Honda VTX Forum banner

I love my new jack

2K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  strongbear 
#1 ·
Bought this from Harbor Freight for $189. Lifts bike up to 30". Needs a little extra bracing when bike is up at 30". My bike seems to lean out and down, little to much for my liking. I will post some photo's with the new bracing on in a few days.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
that makes me nervous just looking at it :yikes:
I am sure you know what you are doing but still :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the follow up pics with the new brace :popcorn:

Thanks for sharing your pics and info.

#7 ·
I have one of these too, the upright is not at a true 90, I plan on removing the front bolt on both sides and tilting it back till it is at 90 degrees, maybe even back a little more, and welding it off to keep it there.

#8 ·
Wow! pucker time. I have a HF small engine stand that I use for Ford 8n tractor motors. The upright on them is not at 90 deg either. I cut mine off and re-welded.

#11 ·
Personally, I do not trust that particular type of Harbor Freight jack.

nojoke

#14 ·
And I am a bit curious as to why the bike is leaning on a brand new jack/stand. :dontknow:
I have spent the last two days making some up grades and bracing. pic will follow soon.

#15 ·
Here's a photo of what I made for safety reasons.

Attachments

#18 ·
It just seems that if you have to do that kind of a mod to your motorcycle jack, you'd consider buying a jack that was a little better built to begin with.
Maybe so but, for $189 it's hard to find a jack that will go over 17" and cost less than $300. Besides, I don't mind breaking out the welder. Made a few small mods. and everything seems good now.

#21 ·
Totally agree. I have serviced three bikes so far and had one up on it for winter storage last winter as it provided room for stuff under it.

Great for cleaning and inspecting the wheels also. The Ultra is over 800 lbs and as you can see there is no leaning at all.

#22 ·
clamps

I've got kids and dogs and occasionally wind in the garage. I'd also be worried about someone knocking into it no matter how sturdy the base was. It wouldn't take much for the bike to lean forward or backwards (It does on my short one even if I balance it well). I thought about making some kind of clamp that would hold the bike frame to the jack, and then I realized that God made zip ties for a reason! They won't scratch the paint on the frame either.
:thumbup:
I'm 6'4" and would love to be able to work on something lifted that high. I've often thought about welding a rail (like a ramp to load into your truck) to the jack instead of resting on the frame and then strapping the handlebars the jack. It's just a lot of work for something I'm hoping not to have to use often.

Totally agree. I have serviced three bikes so far and had one up on it for winter storage last winter as it provided room for stuff under it.

Great for cleaning and inspecting the wheels also. The Ultra is over 800 lbs and as you can see there is no leaning at all.

#23 ·

Also what I did, I welded the outer legs that attach to the base with the two bolts and that took most of the leaning out.

#24 ·
Your triangle is nice, still allows too much rocking. An "H" would have reduced the rocking. Since most hydraulic jacks leak down, what mechanical locking is used?
I have not noticed from the pix.

#25 ·
Your triangle is nice, still allows too much rocking. An "H" would have reduced the rocking. Since most hydraulic jacks leak down, what mechanical locking is used?
I have not noticed from the pix.
Good call :thumbup: An "H" would be better. There is a pin on the post for the side bars to land on so the hyraulic's give, the pin will keep it locked. Back to the welder.

#26 ·
It just seems that if you have to do that kind of a mod to your motorcycle jack, you'd consider buying a jack that was a little better built to begin with.
StrongBear is a retired high steel worker. He has iron in his blood as well as some other stuff. If he says its a good deal its a good deal and I'm sure he's got angle and square tube laying around enough to build himself a jack if he wants to :thumbup:

Anyway, some guys (myself included) like to see what they can save (even though I can afford otherwise) then modify the the thing so they can feel like they had some input in the design. I think that square tube mod looked cool. just be careful when you pull that thing out to lower the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.