Honda VTX Forum banner

New Paint! (Pic heavy)

3K views 29 replies 29 participants last post by  GR8 VTX 
#1 ·
I sent my tins off to BD in April and as expected he did a great job. Took a little longer than I had hoped but he had sort of a tank supply problem this spring. He did the Tsukayu bags as well, got those from www.valueaccessories.net. Can't say enough good things about them. They're the Jumbo Strong and they're awesome!

I slapped everything together pretty quickly and road for a while before I decided I wanted the tank logos back on so I did those myself. Took fricking forever. I used automotive paint and airbrushed them then put down a few coats of clear. Took forever only because it took me quite a while to figure out how to paint plastichrome without it peeling.....sand, sand, sand, urethane prime, urethane color coat, urethane detail coat, urethane clear coat, clear coat, clear coat....oh and wait a good time between coats or you'll get some gas bubbling. Of course with all things paint cleanliness is close to....you get the point. Logos were no fun at all but came out great.

I like flames and tribals and the like as much as the next guy but to me the S is a throwback and so I went for the old school retro look. Not everyones cup of tea but I couldn't be happier with the finished bike. A Pearl White of some ilk on metallic silver of some ilk with Belize Blue (Honda vehicle) and Sunray Gold (Ford vehicle) pinstripes. I did the tank logo in the same colors.

The 2003 was Illusion Blue and I was frankly tired of it....the paint saved me buying another bike and so I'm really happy on that front.

Anyway, thanks to BD and while I don't post here much thanks to all of you who without fail have answered my questions as I lurked from a distance.

Only thing I'm a little iffy on is the tank logos. They came out great and initially I liked the angle I had them set at but the more I look at them they might be coming off for an adjustment, maybe more parallel to the ground like from the factory.

Thoughts on the bike? Like it, love it, hate it? How'd I do?

See less See more
#8 ·
Love the 2 tone Retro paint. Emblems would look better at factory angle. Everything looks awesome.:thumbup:

#11 ·
Kury Small Silver Bullets. Halogen, not the LED and I put the orange lenses in them. I cut down the stock rubber isolater so I'd have something to fill the hole in the fender and mounted the Silver Bullets through it with the hollow bolts Kury sells. With the size of the bags they needed to be mounted REALLY close to the fender.

Agree on the logos, popped them off and will reposition this week. I thought they looked pretty good live till I took pictures of them and then didn't like them all.

#15 ·
Nice Job..Two tone looks great.

#16 ·
Turned out really nice. The colors seem to compliment the style of the bike. Tough call on the tank emblems. They seem to follow the slope of the top portion of the tank. You can play around with them if you like but I like the gold. Looks good. :thumbup:

#18 ·
Very tastefully done

#20 ·
striping

can we see some closeups of the striping? As an ex-bodyman, I can always appreciate the artistic skill required!

#23 ·
Love the look of the bike and colors that are different really stand out someone will call it a kaw because of the two tone..but those are people that are jealous. The only thing I will hit you for is go to any parts store ie Auto zone, O'Reillys, what ever is in your area and get some bleach white for those white walls and take that job on...your arms will be tired but it really looks awesome with your white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.