Honda VTX Forum banner

Oil leak

824 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  TennX 
#1 ·
I bought a 2003 1300 vtx. It's been stored for a around a year. Guy that owns it is in the service and wanted his dad to sell it for him. It's been stored in a heated garage and it started right up. I rode it home and Left it running on the sidewalk, there was a few drops of oil under it. It looked like it was coming from a screw in front of the oil filter but when I turned it off it didn't leak any. I told his dad about it and he said it never leaked. his garage is real clean and where the bike was stored there was nothing on his floor. Has any one had this problem? Thank you

#3 ·
Isnt the screw in front of the oil filter the drain plug?? Make sure vent tubes are not plugged, dirt dobbers and such. Check vent at carb filter, may need cleaned.

#4 ·
Some people have left off the sealing washers when they re-installed the drain plugs, it could be missing. >>>>TWO drain plugs on the VTX<<<<

Unless you know the maintenance history you could do an oil change, coolant change, brake fluid replacement.
Do NOT overtighten anything that screws into aluminum.
Do NOT use anything but your fingers to start drain plugs, sparkplugs, or bolts that screw into aluminum.
>>> OK--you can use a socket and extension<<<<

#6 ·
I have a 2008 1800T and the book sais a valve adjustment is required every 8000 miles.Is this crucial? Any comments appreciated.
It's a good idea to do a valve check the first 8K, I have a 2007R and have done mine several times and from what I am seeing, after the first couple of check the valves hold pretty good.
It is not a as critical as the dealer would like you to think, but for your peace of mine you should learn to do the job yourself, not to hard if you have time. Each time it gets better :thumbup:

#7 ·
I would be sure on where this oil is coming from. If it is the drain plug, it would not matter if the bike was running or not for it to leak. Sounds like it may be coming from another area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.