Roadhouse slip-ons...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roadhouse slip-ons...

Default Roadhouse slip-ons...

I have had the Roadhouse slip-ons on my bike for five years and have never had the first issue with them. Well, until today...

When I got to work I noticed the upper bell cover was missing. I called Roadhouse and they want $60 for one shield.

Is there anyone that lives close to me that leaves their bike out at night?
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by W9VD View Post
    I have had the Roadhouse slip-ons on my bike for five years and have never had the first issue with them. Well, until today...

When I got to work I noticed the upper bell cover was missing. I called Roadhouse and they want $60 for one shield.

Theyve gone up when I called couple of months ago they wanted $50... good luck
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

I have Roadhouse Slip-Ons. They kept getting louder and louder. Found out that the weld broke and I had a hole. Fixed them twice. Now they are off the bike for good. Went back to stock pipes. I found they were not fun anymore when you put on several miles at a time..
    Dawn

Are the tabs on the muffler still attached? Those tend to break off pretty easy then the shield is gone.

04' 1300C & 06' CVO Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by MySanity View Post
    Are the tabs on the muffler still attached? Those tend to break off pretty easy then the shield is gone.
    Yes, the tabs are still there. I have no breaks, leaks or other issues except a missing bell cover.

― John Wayne

This exact same happened to me a couple of years ago w/my 2003 Roadies. Check your welds where the connector pipe goes into the muffler. Roadies purchased about 5 years ago and earlier almost universally suffered from bad welds (something since corrected). If you do a search on this board you'll find a number of old posts lamenting this. I'm on my second set myself (they sold it to me a half their cost even tho' I was years over-warranty). Anyway, anything can be fixed one way or the other. Best of luck.
    Mike
    Pearl Orange 2003 (Inaugural Year) 1300S Retro

Pittsburgh, Pa. U.S. Navy Retired (22yos), 99 Valkyrie I/S (02 VTX1800 - Sold 2011) )

Dang... I gave a set of those pipes away on the PA board a month or so ago... I could have got a few beers out of em at least eh?

I didn't care for the quality of them.... stockers looked much more durable... so I modified the innerds of my stockers.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Roadies purchased about 5 years ago and earlier almost universally suffered from bad welds (something since corrected)..
    My 1 year old set busted at the same point....both of them. (top and bottom) I don't think they corrected anything.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

NO....but maybe time to get those stock pipes from your attic

2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by nash.VTX View Post
    NO....but maybe time to get those stock pipes from your attic
    If I did this I would not know when to shift.

I have no leaks, cracked welds or any other issues except a missing shield. I took a mirror and a light out and looked everything over and everything is fine.

I am going to call Roadhouse again tomorrow and try to barter with them.

― John Wayne

I'd be interested in which model these failures are on????

On my 1800S w/ slip-ons, the only trouble I had was the weld in the baffle broke & every once in a while I need to tighened the clamps on the tailpipe. I just removed the upper slip-on last night to see why it shook/wobbled when I twist the wick... as I thought the muffler bracket weld broke... nope just needed to loosen the clamp & reset it in the tailpipe... checked my bell cover & all tabs & welds where good. Bought them used from a guy in CA back in '05 & put 45k+ miles on them.

So yeah... kinda curious to what model these are failing on
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

When I reinstalled mine I noticed I was short a tab...

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    My 1 year old set busted at the same point....both of them. (top and bottom) I don't think they corrected anything.
    I'm basing my comment not only from what the new owner told me personally in (actually) July, 2008 for those newly-made slip-ons going forward, but also from the overall and obvious drop-off in reporting on these boards about newly-discovered weld problems. It may very well be possible you were sold a set leftover from the older batch. Nevertheless, sorry you had your problems, I know in my case it was similarly a pain.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I'm basing my comment not only from what the new owner told me personally in (actually) July, 2008 for those newly-made slip-ons going forward, but also from the overall and obvious drop-off in reporting on these boards about newly-discovered weld problems. It may very well be possible you were sold a set leftover from the older batch. Nevertheless, sorry you had your problems, I know in my case it was similarly a pain.
    Mine were shipped directly from roadhouse after I explained the broken weld problem directly to the new guy in charge over there. I don't know why they would ship me old stock. I was assured the problem had been taken care of also...but obviously it hasn't. These only lasted about a year. They were installed in spring of '09 and removed a few weeks ago before they fell off. These seem to be worse than the old set, at least I got 3 years out of those.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

I just took mine off and went back to stock. Maybe try the Clayton Mod. I had my pipes on since "04 and never had a problem except the bell covers. Because the tabs were poorly placed, they always had a slight movement no matter how much tweaking was done to them. If they wanted to give the look of stockers. I'm not sure why they didn't copy the way the muffler connects to the header pipe. Also last year told by RH, the bells were 40.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1005&dateline=1233624  697

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Mine were shipped directly from roadhouse after I explained the broken weld problem directly to the new guy in charge over there. I don't know why they would ship me old stock. I was assured the problem had been taken care of also...but obviously it hasn't. These only lasted about a year. They were installed in spring of '09 and removed a few weeks ago before they fell off. These seem to be worse than the old set, at least I got 3 years out of those.
    I don't know if the possibility of you getting old stock was accidental or deliberate, but it's certainly routine for a company to sell everything they've already manufactured, especially if there was no official recall of that product. And while the problems of the earlier-made slip-ons is well-documented, not all of them suffered from this, and one can't expect them to simply throw away what they feel are perfectly-good mufflers. That being said they would be under no obligation to refrain from selling any slip-ons they've made, past or present to the extent they still exist. Conversely, if you truly did get a recently-made set, judging from the almost non-existent complaints over the last couple of years compared to the 2003-2007 years, your situation appears to be an anomaly. Either way, I'm still sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe from this others might learn: caveat emptor.
    Mike

I bought the rh because of their resemblance to the stockers, I rewrapped my baffles because one was blown out, Im not quite satisfied with the sound, i may try vtxexhaust.com, because of the appearance.......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.