• 4/5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6/7 years

• 8/9 years

• When they buy there own

When did you let your kids start riding?

554 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  GIJoeJarhead 
#1 ·
I have an 11y old daughter and twin boys 7.

My daughter was ready to ride at a young age. I didn't have a bike so I don't recall an age, around 5.

My boys aren't ready yet. Can't follow direction well enough. One is close, he had a rough 1st grade but has really started trying in the 2nd. He just need a little more time with his current behavior. The other needs medication. He has been kicked out of school for a couple days and spent time in school suspension. That is just in 2012. Not even close for him.

#2 ·
My son started riding with me when he was 4 (in the sidecar). Now 7 rides on the back of my bike. I'm confident that he understands he needs to be serious. We established hand signals before he ever rode on the back. My only fear is of him falling asleep (I know I did when I was his age). With the Sena I now have it makes it simple for use to communicate to each other.

#3 ·
I let mine take short rides with me when their feet could reach the pegs from the back seat and then only short trips around the block. Once they got a little older and bigger, I would let them take regular rides with me. ALWAYS with a helmet.

#4 ·
Maturity level and size are defining factors,not going to ride'em if they cant touch the pegs and hold on good and tight nor when they cant behave and follow instructions without asking questions.Sounds mean when you have to say no but if you love them they will hear lots of no's before they understand the why's. My granddaugher plays on the bike while I clean it and she wants to ride even cries when i leave on the bike but shes 3 1/2 and tiny so it'll be a while for her.

#5 ·
My daughter has been riding with me since she turned 7. She has always been tall enough so that touching the pegs is not an issue. On my X I sat back far enoungh to keep her tight on the backrest which limited her ability to move around - not that she did - I was just being cautious. On a group ride , she got to watch an idjit fall off the back of a bike because they were not holding on and were screwing around. She told me that would never happen to her, and she has been pretty good about holding on.

#6 ·
My son and daughter rode with me around the neighborhood when they were 3-4.
Got my son a Honda 50 mini-trail when he was 6. Then he got a Honda 250 Enduro for his 14th b-day.
He's 24 now and is a pretty responsible rider, once I finally got it thorough his head he didn't need a crotch-rocket.
He's in grad school (professional student), and still doesn't own one, but loves to ride my X.
P

#7 ·
Maturity level and size are defining factors,not going to ride'em if they cant touch the pegs and hold on good and tight nor when they cant behave and follow instructions without asking questions.
I Agree!

Children, even the well behaved ones can in a short moment become distracted. If they twist and turn abruptly to look at something, they could bring the bike down. We never really give that much thought, until it happens to us. Long ago, I had it happen to me. Thankfully at very slow speed, coming to a stop at my brothers house my nephew on the back turned to look at another person in the front yard. Nobody was hurt, but that has always been on my mind.

You might think you are being a 'cool dad' by putting your kid on the back of the bike, but that coolness goes away when you see them loaded into the back of an ambulance.

#8 ·
We didn't buy our first bike (my 2003 VTX 1800R) until my kids were grown . . . my son started riding my wife's HD 1200L about 2 years ago, but he was 21, so I guess that doesn't really count . . .

. . . now my grandson is absolutely nuts about motorcycles, we've gotten him used to them since the day he was born . . . he is 2.5 now . . . still way too young, but one of these days . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.