Honda VTX Forum banner

AAHH! I'm bleeding!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Jon 
#1 ·
nojoke My left front fork is bleeding which of course ruined the left side of my front tire.

So would you guys suggest to replace both shock seals at the same time or just the one thats bleeding?

Also, any suggestions for a good front tire on these rough Louisiana roads? My rear tire is a Cobra 200

Thanks in advance:thumbup:

#5 ·
Thanks 8) just ordered one. If this is the fix, do you have any suggestions on how to replace the fluid lost? I've never messed with the front forks before
Unless there's quite a puddle under your bike, I wouldn't worry about the loss too much. Each strut holds over 1/2 liter of oil.

#6 ·
Thanks Spike! Big help as usual :firstplace:

And the reason i'm worried about it is because my front tire was fine until this happened, and the left side got bald....quick, to the point where it feels off balance even when on and evenly paved road going straight.

So yea, still wanted to try to get some suggestions for a good front tire./?

#7 ·
Your tire going bald on one side will have little to do with the seal leaking. It's quite common for the left side tire wear pattern you have. Many thousands of VTXers alone have this and you can see those results by the thousands of threads on left side tire wear. Most common cause of uneven wear is improper inflation. Keep the pressures up at 38 to 40 psi front and rear and check the pressure at least weakly.

Here is more on tire wear;

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

#8 ·
Oh yea, I didnt think of that. I havent really checked pressure since we've started getting cooler weather so maybe i did lose some tire pressure. I'm assuming its safe to ride with the tire like this for a while (after proper inflation and fork seal is fixed), because I definitely dont have the extra cash to buy a new front tire right now.

Thanks again :bowdown:

#9 ·
Inherent problem to VTXs: here's a fix

As explained to me by an officially Honda mekanik: tire wear on the left is a result of 1) roads crowned in the middle, i.e., on the left of the lane, and 2) a tendency to ride faster through left-hand curves than right-hand, due to better visibility. Unconvinced, I pursued the "Extra-fifty-pounds-on-right-side-of-machine-due-to-exhaust-configuration" theory, and posted a little thread about my solution on the BareassChopper site.

#10 ·
As explained to me by an officially Honda mekanik: tire wear on the left is a result of 1) roads crowned in the middle, i.e., on the left of the lane, and 2) a tendency to ride faster through left-hand curves than right-hand, due to better visibility. Unconvinced, I pursued the "Extra-fifty-pounds-on-right-side-of-machine-due-to-exhaust-configuration" theory, and posted a little thread about my solution on the BareassChopper site.
Well, that's great for guys that have the OEM exhaust on their bike. Problem is, the left side wear happens on bikes with aftermarket exhaust too. Also happens on HD tourers that have one can down each side of the bike. So, as I have said, it is likely a combination of theories that result in left side wear most common of those being improper inflation. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Well, that's great for guys that have the OEM exhaust on their bike. Problem is, the left side wear happens on bikes with aftermarket exhaust too. Also happens on HD tourers that have one can down each side of the bike. So, as I have said, it is likely a combination of theories that result in left side wear most common of those being improper inflation. :thumbup:
Hey, what about us? :lol: We ride on the other side of the road over here and the tires wear more on the left than the right.

#12 ·
Hey, what about us? :lol: We ride on the other side of the road over here and the tires wear more on the left than the right.

Hahahaha, that's funny. I get the left side wear as well. Have just learned to deal with it, but it does suck. I go through 2 fronts to every rear.

#13 ·
What about the guys in Europe / England that have the exact same problem on the other side of the tire? They're exhaust is on the same side as ours.

Also, GoldWings and Valkyries suffer from the same problem and they are balanced pretty well.

I personally think the better visibility and faster speed thru left turns that are longer than right turns has more to do with it than crown. But as of yet I haven't seen any real explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.