Honda VTX Forum banner

gas leak during heat of day

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  daleg 
#1 ·
I have been smelling gas around my bike in the hot part of the day. a few drops out of overflow tube. went on a ride sat. sunday while cleaning her up it started driping gas out of the overflow tube. this was in the hot part of the day.. I opend the tank. no pressure when opend. still driping. turned on switch. pump came on then off. normal. still driping. put a cup under to catch gas. when the temp went down. the driping stoped.. It was in the sun. No more than 1 to 2 oz.. Is this normal ???? Or do I have serious probs......

#2 ·
After your ride saturday did you top off the tank with fuel? If so, probably just to full. 1 to 2 oz is a lot... a few drops from the vent line is pretty normal but a few ozs seems like a lot.

#3 ·
IF you filled it up after your ride...

gas is stored in the ground and is mostly around 65 degrees. a full tank and the bright SUN, the gas will expand by 3-5 percent(over 100 degrees). that is way you have an overfill/vent tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.