Honda VTX Forum banner

Big Shots on 1800T- any thoughts

784 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  schnitz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, well I'm having the V&H BigShots installed on my 1800T Saturday. I went ahead and purchased an K&N HA-1802 Air Filter for it as well (heard good things about this filter). I'm hoping the decel popping wont be too bad. I'm not worried about more power as I'm more of a casual cruiser but I've heard some say that without a fuel management program and possibly a pair valve removal you cant avoid some decel popping.

#3 ·
Don't know about the filter change, still running stock in mine. But absolutely no decel pop for me with the Bigshots. Like you, didn't need more power, just needed better sound. Be sure and post results as I'm curious.

#4 ·
Is a fuel manager needed?
Are they needed? The short answer is, No. They are not needed, but you might want to add one to get the best possible performance and fuel mileage out of the additions. Most members run without a fuel manager while having aftermarket air intakes and exhaust and have no problems at all. The following is from the “Sticky” thread called,“Air,Fuel,Motor,Missives…” and the first post by Tapper. The entire post is filled with great information on the VTX engine.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749

Originally Posted by Tapper

After Market Fuel Computers

This is a good time to talk about aftermarket fuel controllers, so lets hit on what they do real quick. The 1300 guys can manipulate their A/F ratios by changing jets, but it’s a bit more complex (and expensive) for the 1800 riders. For the VTX, there are basically three types of controller available. All three do exactly the same thing – they manipulate the amount of time the injectors are turned on during the intake stroke, by intercepting the voltage the ECU sends to the injectors. How the decide how much longer or shorter to turn the injector on, varies a bit though, and that variety is important thing to know when selecting which controller to use on your bike (if in fact you choose to use on at all – none of them are ever really necessary, regardless of what pipes or airboxes you add on to the bike.)

It’s also important to understand this: None of these controllers is ever a necessity, regardless of whether you change pipes or airboxes on your bike. The stock ECU will, in almost every case, adjust to the changes in airflow you’ve caused, and give you a reasonably good A/F ratio. But you should understand, that the ECU is not programmed to give you an A/F ratio that is optimized for horsepower from the factory – instead, Honda worries about things like pollution, engine temperature, and rider perception, and so the ECU can be said to be “de-tuned” in order to address these other concerns. So the real function of these add-on controllers is to correct the error (or eliminate the de-tuning) that Honda induced in your fuel curve on purpose, in order to reclaim the lost horsepower and improve engine efficiency (possibly at the cost of making more pollution, hearing more deceleration backfiring, etc). Adding on aftermarket pipes or airboxes can sometimes exaggerate this de-tuning as well, so we need to be able to modify our fuel curves to match the configuration of our bikes. Got that? These boxes aren’t necessary, but if you’re hunting more horses, they can sure find them.

#6 ·
Your OK

You are OK and do not need a fuel management system. Make sure that you put in new exhaust gadgets and remove the old ones.
I think fuel management systems cause more problems than there worth, but some like them. (my option, not to get into a PC about it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.