Ohio laws on led lighting?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ohio laws on led lighting?

Default Ohio laws on led lighting?

I have been reading on ohio codes for motor vehicles and can not find a law against it I found in one of the codes under code 4513.13 Cowls and fender, backup lights that amber or white light that is not bright enough to cause glare is legal. So I will get a multi color setup and ride with white and amber does anyone else here know more than this it's all I could find and I read alot of ohio codes to find this!?? To add some info I am talking about lizard kits and pods for lighting up the engine and wheels.
    Last edited by akuser47; 10-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Live Free, Ride Free, Or die Fighting for the Right to do so!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

General rule of thumb across the USA is NO blue lights on a civilian bike unless it is parked or a "show bike". Rear facing indicator lighting must be red or amber. Front facing indicator lighting must be amber. Headlights, driving lights and brakelights must be DOT approved regardless if Halogen, HID, LED.

What I have found asking LEOs here in SoCal is that offically you shouldn't have any lights besides signal, indicator, headlight, brake light working while driving down the street. So get a switch so you can power off the green purple pink and blue lighting when you are riding and leave the bar. An arguement can be made that under tank and fender lighting at night (if amber or red) is a safety feature, which allows drivers a better view of bikes side profile at night.

If you run a full lizard 120 LED setup with color shifting lighting in any place but the parking lot, you could find an unfriendly LEO having a bad day that could do anything from scold you to writing a fixit ticket.

Personally I love the look of a cruiser bike running through the desert with full LED lighting. Looks extremely cool.
    Paul Schweizer
    SoCal
    2002 Honda VTX 1800C
    2001 Kawi Concours

Quote Originally Posted by 2002VTX View Post
    General rule of thumb across the USA is NO blue lights on a civilian bike unless it is parked or a "show bike". Rear facing indicator lighting must be red or amber. Front facing indicator lighting must be amber. Headlights, driving lights and brakelights must be DOT approved regardless if Halogen, HID, LED...
    Researched it before adding the ones I have on my X (about 5 years ago) and found everything above to be true for Ohio.

this is the web site I found that basically says amber or white that does not cause glare so they would need to be decently dimmed thus a good controller to use.I think I will be good to go by leaving the multi color on amber and dimming it. here is the area I found and read about the codes.---

I have been reading on ohio codes for motor vehicles and can not find a law against it I found in one of the codes under scode 4513.13 Cowls and fender, backup lights that amber or white light that is not bright enough to cause glare is legal. So I will get a multi color setup and ride with white and amber does anyone else here know more than this it's all I could find and I read alot of ohio codes to find this! I am wanting to illuminate my bike with a multicolor led sytem wheels engine all of it. This is where I found a few codes that could relate to led lighting It takes a little reading to get to it but most of it starts near the code I listed and that code seems to be most relevent to this qeustion. thanks for the help I am thinking of multicolor and have a switch to control and only having the engine and wheels lighting up in amber and white some have dimmer switch to so I might run it low on brightness to be careful.
    Live Free, Ride Free, Or die Fighting for the Right to do so!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.