programmable gear shift indicator for VTX1300
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: programmable gear shift indicator for VTX1300

Default programmable gear shift indicator for VTX1300

Has anyone bought/used one of those PGR 1000 programmable gear shift indicators from Dakota Digital? More to the point, could you walk me through the installation? I assume all the wires to hook up to are in the headlight? I'm a bit of an ignoramous when it comes to bike wiring. Any help would sure be appreciated. Andreas

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

When I purchased my Dakota Digital Tach, The installation instructions were pretty well laid out. Did you order this and not get instructions? Their number was on the Tach packaging.
    03 VTX 1300 S Traded...
    2013 F6B Deluxe Red/Black

Someone makes a gear shift indicator?? Dang, I need one of those. If it's programmable, maybe I can make 5th gear say 6th, so then I'll stop looking for it with my foot.
    David

2007 VTX1300R Titanium - Darkside, BadX seats, NC Paladin passenger backrest/luggage rack, US Saddlebags, Roadhouse slipons, FP Stage 3, Phat II risers, Paladin crash bars, Madco throttle lock

Default programmable gear shift indicator

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Has anyone bought/used one of those PGR 1000 programmable gear shift indicators from Dakota Digital? More to the point, could you walk me through the installation? I assume all the wires to hook up to are in the headlight? I'm a bit of an ignoramous when it comes to bike wiring. Any help would sure be appreciated. Andreas

Thanks garrygene. I haven't actually ordered it yet; just wanted to get a sense of whether it works reliably, and also a sense of how difficult it is to wire up. I'd heard from some other riders that it could be confusing. Concerning the reliability: I'd especially like to know if it shows the gear changes quite quickly? And accurately?

Save your fundage, you only got to count to 6....er I mean 5.....
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

There's other good mods worth the $$$.

Default programmable gear shift indicator

Yeah, it's embarrassing, I know, but when I'm running fast through the twisties with my revs up, I sometimes find it hard to remember whether I'm in fourth or fifth....

If you shift in the twisties and no one is around to hear it, does it make a clunk?
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

First and foremost, "To each their own." How you spend your money is your business. I admit the gear indicator is nice. My 1986 V65 Magna had one, however I would not spend more than $200 for one.

Pretty slick little device. Appears to wire up just like a tach but instead of rpm's you see the gear your in ? Auto programming as well.

Gear indicators are very cool. I never saw them before and my 2011 Victory has one built into the speedo, along with other things.

Red 2004 Honda VTX 1300C was sold on April 2nd, 2012.
    2010 Midnight Cherry Victory Cross Country & 2011 Victory Vegas 8 Ball.
    This photo and more at: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=350

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    Save your fundage, you only got to count to 6....er I mean 5.....

What is this - a math test? Always thought the counting was easy. The remembering is the tough part (CRS, Sometimer's - you name it I must have it).

Ride safe and ride often...
    Ride safe and ride often...Chief Petty Officer, U. S. Navy, RETIRED...Black 2007 1300-R, a few chrome nic nacs, debadged, clayton mod, Kury RTB, breakaway throttle lock, Honda passenger backrest and pad, Honda hard leather bags, Kury deep dish bezels, Kury ISO grips, Curved lay down license plate C.R.A.P. mod, AEROMACH 4" Risers, Kisan modulator, Kickstand extender, keeping it stock - just making it mine.

Thumbs up Here's another...

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
    Abe Lincoln

Default Re: pgr-1000 gear indicator

Hi,

I installed the dakota digital gear indicator last spring. It is not too bad if you have the vtx1300 wiring diagram and take your time. You'll have to remove the tank and run the wiring under the tank. Programming is pretty slick once you get it installed. I installed a digital tach at the same time. PM me if you purchase one and have questions. I did take a few notes on which vtx colored wires to use.

It works very well. When you downshift with the clutch pulled in it takes a few seconds for the indicator to catch up after re-engaging the clutch.

Here is the link to the manual and wiring guide: http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/pgr-1000.pdf

Tim
    Last edited by tbuenz; 10-30-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    If you shift in the twisties and no one is around to hear it, does it make a clunk?
    No .....
    2008 1800T - Spec 1 - Two-tone Black ,Candy Black Cherry - Honda Light Bar - Cobra Tach - Cobra Fatty's - Ulimate Big Boy - 10-40 Amsoil - 75-90 Amsoil - Metzeler's .....

Default programmable gear shift indictor

Thanks Tbuenz, much appreciated. I've ordered it; should arrive in a week or two. A.

Default I have just bought one for my VTX 1800F and I need your help please..!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbuenz View Post
    Hi,

I installed the dakota digital gear indicator last spring. It is not too bad if you have the vtx1300 wiring diagram and take your time. You'll have to remove the tank and run the wiring under the tank. Programming is pretty slick once you get it installed. I installed a digital tach at the same time. PM me if you purchase one and have questions. I did take a few notes on which vtx colored wires to use.

It works very well. When you downshift with the clutch pulled in it takes a few seconds for the indicator to catch up after re-engaging the clutch.

Here is the link to the manual and wiring guide: http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/pgr-1000.pdf

Tim
    I believe that the wiring on the VTX1800 must be similar to the VTX1300. I am looking at the wiring guide from Dakota and I still have no clue where to find those color wires to connect with and make this work. Please, I would appreciate very much if you could guide me through the whole process.

Thank You

Default I have just bought a Dakota 1000 for my VTX 1800F and I need help to install it.

I have the wiring guide from Dakota but still due to my lack of expertise I have no idea where to start and I wouldn't like to mess with the electrical.
    Therefore, if any of you have already installed one I would appreciate very much your advice..!

Thank You

Dan

Default Gear shift indicators

From saved Files -
    Google Search - then image view for other options of gauges.

Engear Digital Gear Indicator with Shift light

digital-speedos.co.uk

carpimoto.com

pashnit.com

$475 - a bit Spendy - Shift Ind The Harley Tank gauge Option

Didn't Notice the 2 year old thread - Oh Well - updated info is always good.
    Last edited by Philscbx; 09-18-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danhell View Post
    I have the wiring guide from Dakota but still due to my lack of expertise I have no idea where to start and I wouldn't like to mess with the electrical.
    Therefore, if any of you have already installed one I would appreciate very much your advice..!
    Thank You Dan
    1. Download a copy of the schematic from here:: http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wp-c..._schematic.jpg

Look at the speedo/display section---most of the wires are there.
    Bl/Br = Black with a Brown stripe = +12v to your PGR-1000 red
    Lg = Light green = Neutral switch to pgr1000 brown
    P/G = Pink/Green = VSS to pgr1000 white
    Yellow/Blue is the front Ignition coil --to pgr1000 green or tach adapter yellow
    Green = ground on Honda to pgr1000 black

That is a stare & compare equivalent IMHO. No warranty or guarantee implied.
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-18-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Verified front coil is Y/Bu
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    157,197 VTX miles...​On 10th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.

Just as important, if not more so, it will tell you when you're already in 2nd gear, so you won't down shift to first around a turn. That's harrowing enough on dry pavement, let alone in the rain.

Though his mind is not for rent, to any god or government,
    allways hopeful, yet discontent, he knows changes aren't permanent,
    but change is. -neil peart

Great..!! Thank you for your support..!! I will try this and see what happens.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
    1. Download a copy of the schematic from here:: http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wp-c..._schematic.jpg

Bu/Y or Y/Bu Blue/yellow or Yellow/Blue whatever the front Ignition coil is--to pgr1000 green or tach adapter yellow

Default Dakota prg 1000 Installation

Just some additional questions:

How do I access to these wires: Do I need to remove the speedometer to access to them from the back? I must see the colors to identify them, and maybe connect to them there. Maybe there is another way to do it..

I in the speedo/display section of the schematics I could only find a Bu/Y cable that connects with the Reset SW in the speedo/display panel. Is this the one to connect to prg 1000 green or tach adapter yellow?

Thanks again in advance for your support and good advice..!

Dan

Bu/Y or Y/Bu Blue/yellow or Yellow/Blue whatever the front Ignition coil is--to pgr1000 green or tach adapter yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline X View Post
    Just as important, if not more so, it will tell you when you're already in 2nd gear, so you won't down shift to first around a turn. That's harrowing enough on dry pavement, let alone in the rain.
    I'm fairly new to riding, so I've got to ask... Why wouldn't you want to go down to first gear in a turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Danhell View Post
    Just some additional questions:

How do I access to these wires: Do I need to remove the speedometer to access to them from the back? I must see the colors to identify them, and maybe connect to them there. Maybe there is another way to do it..

I in the speedo/display section of the schematics I could only find a Bu/Y cable that connects with the Reset SW in the speedo/display panel. Is this the one to connect to prg 1000 green or tach adapter yellow?

Thanks again in advance for your support and good advice..! Dan
    The speedo has two 7 Pin connector blocks---connect on either side of those for everything EXCEPT the yellow/blue which is on the FRONT IGNITION COIL. I would probably use the speedo side but run the wiring so both could be removed together if needed.

The ignition coil yellow/blue is the negative coil wire that is pulsed by the ECM.
    Either coil would work but the front coil is close.
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-18-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: verified Y/Bu is the front Ign coil

The speedo has two 7 Pin connector blocks---connect on either side of those for everything EXCEPT the yellow/blue which is on the FRONT IGNITION COIL. I would probably use the speedo side but run the wiring so both could be removed together if needed.

The ignition coil yellow/blue is the negative coil wire that is pulsed by the ECM.
    Either coil would work but the front coil is close.
    Hans:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but where can I find are these connectors and where precisely is the front ignition coil. Do I have to remove the tank or I can just pull them out from their harness?

Somewhere within a foot of the speedo should be the two connectors. Under the tank in a rubber protector.

Front Ign coil, left side, under the tank. Follow the spark plug wire. I do not have an 1800..... The "ground fix" shows the front IGN coil. Something that needs to be done to every 1800. 4th - 6th picture on the post. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-Fix-by-Tapper
    I have downloaded a service manual.. Probably have to raise the tank, not sure though.
    I see an IGN coil--not labeled, top of radiator, in the tank area.
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxoa1 View Post
    I'm fairly new to riding, so I've got to ask... Why wouldn't you want to go down to first gear in a turn?
    It's a preference/comfort issue for me. I prefer and am more comfortable taking turns, including right handers in 2nd.

Though his mind is not for rent, to any god or government,
    allways hopeful, yet discontent, he knows changes aren't permanent,
    but change is. -neil peart

Thanks Hans..!

I let you know about the outcome once it's done so it could be useful to others.

Dan

Somewhere within a foot of the speedo should be the two connectors. Under the tank in a rubber protector.

Front Ign coil, left side, under the tank. Follow the spark plug wire. I do not have an 1800..... The "ground fix" shows the front IGN coil. Something that needs to be done to every 1800. 4th - 6th picture on the post. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-Fix-by-Tapper
    I have downloaded a service manual.. Probably have to raise the tank, not sure though.
    I see an IGN coil--not labeled, top of radiator, in the tank area.

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    If you can't tell, may be it doesn't matter.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.