finnaly rear crashbars fo the vtx..maybe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finnaly rear crashbars fo the vtx..maybe

Default finnaly rear crashbars fo the vtx..maybe

ok so here is the deal i have a 86 goldwing gl1200 after measuring and looking i belive the the rear crash bars will work with little fab work on the vtx. im gonna put them on mine in about a month or so when i install my harley extended saddlebags. will take pics hope this helps some of yall
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al
    When i die i wanna go like my grandpa peaceful and in my sleep...not screaming and crying like the other people in the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Careful when working with that concrete, once dried it can be brittle.
    2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
    2005 VTX 1300C (Gone May 2010)
    2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
    Various years, makes, and colors of 50-850cc bikes since 1967
    BLACK - The FASTER color.
    PGR Member

I was looking to do something similar.
    It does not make any sense that there are no after-market parts like that available. Here is my though - think Victory Vision
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_JhhwCYrQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    - they have a set of "paddles" to stop m/c from falling when stationary - it would not help much when riding, but with a bit of mod - I am thinking paddles extending partially over saddlebags, mounted to frame might do the trick.

brianxtx1800 huh?
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al
    When i die i wanna go like my grandpa peaceful and in my sleep...not screaming and crying like the other people in the car

Default one question

What will you attatch them to? The passenger peg bolts won't even get close to the grond with out snapping with the weight of our bikes. How will you affix them to the bike with?

Quote Originally Posted by ryngore View Post
    brianxtx1800 huh?

Long standing joke, mention crash bars and concrete comes to mind. Previous user (Gnuguy or something close) posted his mod which included filling his crashbars with concrete to increase the strength..Took a lot of welll meant critiscism the wrong way and quit the forum.
    2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
    2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
    PGR Member

oh, and some can't let it go (guilty as charged)
    PGR Member

Default Buy a goldwing

The new goldwings do the same thing. matter of fact that is one of the ways to change the rear tire. Not recommended but it works.

I have not experienced it yet on the goldwing.

I have leaned my VTX1300R on its side and the floor board did a great job of holding it up.

Default Yes Sir!!

Thats nothin I dropped my X C Model 1800 and it broke and scratched a bunch of stuff... Oh I see its not supposed to hurt the bike!!!! My bad...
    O well back to the drawing board....

Hmmm, maybe the cement thing is not such a bad idea after all? Must go away somewhere and think this over,,,,,

vtxbrian I understand now lmao....big bad the gl1200 crashbars mounr to the top rear shock bolt and look like it could mounf to the rear peg mount with little fab work
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    It does not make any sense that there are no after-market parts like that available. Here is my though - think Victory Vision
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_Jh...layer_embedded
    - they have a set of "paddles" to stop m/c from falling when stationary - it would not help much when riding, but with a bit of mod - I am thinking paddles extending partially over saddlebags, mounted to frame might do the trick.
    I like that idea. I wonder if I can adapt something similar to my rear peg brackets, since mine is a solo set-up I've removed the rear pegs anyway. I pulled a dumbass move in a parking lot last year and my bike went over on the right. The front peg stuck in the asphalt and held the bike up til I could get it righted. Nothing else touched the ground.

Eastern Tennessee, home of The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_Jh...layer_embedded

that's a little bit of brilliant..just another indication that Honda turned out the lights in the creative thinking department after introducing the VTX iin 2002
    Bikes I've owned since 1967: Bridgestone 50, Honda 90, Honda 305 Scrambler, 1972 Harley Sportster, Yamaha 650, Kawasaki 900 Z1a, Yamaha Venture-1982, Yamaha Venture Royale-1992, Yamaha 650 V-Star, Honda 2003 VTX1800c, 2005 Goldwing trike.

here is a pic of the gl1200 rear crashbar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

vtxbrian I understand now lmao....big bad the gl1200 crashbars mounr to the top rear shock bolt and look like it could mounf to the rear peg mount with little fab work
    That's not a very strong bolt. Even a grade 8 would probably break, pull out or bend the fender rail. What size is on the GW? I guess it would work if you dropped it, but not too well if you laid it down.
    '03 1800R

if you have a front crashbar as well as a rear one the weight of the bike will be shared by both.this is not ment to be indistructable by no means. i droped my bike at slow speeds with no crash bars broke the windsheild dented the tank scraped the headlight. all of this would have prolly been prevented with just a front crashbar of whitch i have one now.at normal highway speeds all bets are off
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

also im about to install harley extended saddlebags theses mounts look like thay will be a great way to help with a clean install plus offer alittle protection for the bags incase i drop it. i have looked and harley street glide rear crashbars dont seem to hard to make work either. just alittle time and fab work. when i tear my bike down i will post plenty of pics
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

Quote Originally Posted by big bad View Post
    What will you attatch them to? The passenger peg bolts won't even get close to the grond with out snapping with the weight of our bikes. How will you affix them to the bike with?
    If you have a "dangerous" Kuryakyn engine guard on the front, it will work. With the Kury on the front the bike won't tip over and if you have something on the rear (attached to the rear passenger peg mount), that will protect the bottom of the saddle bags.

Ervin
    Last edited by ervin260; 12-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.

VTX 1800/280

i run a mc enterprises front crashbars and my bike wont tip all the over at all
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

Default Big Bike Highway bars for VTX1800 C/F

I have Big Bike highway bars on my 2008 VTX1800F with US Saddle bags
    (the widest available) and I recently slowly dropped the bike when my
    kickstand was not fully extended. Nothing got damaged except for a
    small scratch on the under side of the bar. I was glad a I spent the
    $200.00.

Quote Originally Posted by ervin260 View Post
    If you have a "dangerous" Kuryakyn engine guard on the front, it will work. With the Kury on the front the bike won't tip over and if you have something on the rear (attached to the rear passenger peg mount), that will protect the bottom of the saddle bags.

Ervin
    Just curious ... why is the Kuryakyn engine guard "dangerous"?

the kury engine gaurd hits the ground in tight corners so im told
    RYNGORE
    Ozark Al

Yeah I've scrapped my Kury's on some turns ... but they are as low as the foot pegs of my 1800F though. So even without the Kury's ... I was scrapping the pegs.

Although I would love to see one similar to the Honda Rune's crash guard
    Last edited by 1bigkahuna; 12-08-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigkahuna View Post
    Just curious ... why is the Kuryakyn engine guard "dangerous"?
    This is what I read, too. I don't have floorboards, just foot pegs and in my case the heel of my boot is touching the ground first, before the peg or bar.

Ervin

VTX 1800/280

Engine guards, and crash bars, are not designed as protection from a crash are they? I mean I have yet to find any company selling them as leg protection, just as engine guards and bag guards. I thought they would only protect the bike if it fell, and not during a crash.

So, are they functional as protection? The reason Iím asking is if I can reasonably expect them to protect the rider I would buy them for my wifeís bike.

This is what I read, too. I don't have floorboards, just foot pegs and in my case the heel of my boot is touching the ground first, before the peg or bar.

Ervin
    The older ones had those problems but the new ones are ok.
    2003 VTX 1800R, 1999 Valkyrie Interstate, 1998 Valkyrie Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse110ci View Post
    The older ones had those problems but the new ones are ok.
    Bought a few months ago (from eBay for $195), but I think mine is the older style.

Ervin

VTX 1800/280

Bought a few months ago (from eBay for $195), but I think mine is the older style.

Ervin
    Just by looking yours appears to be the new one. The older ones came straight out without much angle. I believe the new ones are 4502.

The reason I know is they sent me an old one saying it was the new model. I measured and they were lower than my boards!

Long story short, Kury sent me the new ones.

Just by looking yours appears to be the new one. The older ones came straight out without much angle. I believe the new ones are 4502.

The reason I know is they sent me an old one saying it was the new model. I measured and they were lower than my boards!

Long story short, Kury sent me the new ones.
    The 4502 is the Ergo with the flip out foot rest. I have the regular 4581 and don't know, if Kury has old and new version of this for the VTX1800.
    I saw a few pictures, there are many different looking Kury bars (Ergo or not, for various models,...). Mine looks like the one on the third picture. The last one is definetly is an older style, I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VTX 1800/280

The 4502 is the Ergo with the flip out foot rest. I have the regular 4581 and don't know, if Kury has old and new version of this for the VTX1800.
    I saw a few pictures, there are many different looking Kury bars (Ergo or not, for various models,...). Mine looks like the one on the third picture. The last one is definetly is an older style, I guess.
    Yep you're right, those are the killers! There shouldn't be any on the market now.

Yep you're right, those are the killers! There shouldn't be any on the market now.
    Did you mean mine or those on the last picture?

Ervin

VTX 1800/280

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.